Cholesterol -- Oatmeal

I love oatmeal and have eaten it for years. I've never noticed any effect on my cholesterol levels, but it can certainly spike my blood sugar. I reluctantly had to put it in the "do not eat" category, with pretty much all other grains.

Can't say anything about the cholesterol part, but lately with all this heat, I've been eating muesli for breakfast. Mix old fashioned oats (not instant) with water, shredded granny smith apples, lemon juice, a little honey. Throw in some almonds and raisins/craisins or whatever suits your fancy. Let it sit in the fridge overnight and enjoy cold in the morning. I can dig up the recipe for more exact measurements if anyone is interested. The best part for this young dreamer is that I can make enough for a whole week on Sunday and it takes no time to prepare in the mornings.

I throw a cup of oats in a bowl, add a dozen grapes & a cup of soy milk...

Soy is making kids 'gay'

Is soy healthy?

As for me, high triglycerides seem to run in my family, if you will, and diet and exercise haven't lowered them into the "healthy" range.

I enjoy oatmeal, but the butter and sugar required to make it palatable probably defeat the purpose... :p

I don't mind oatmeal but it is heavy stuff. I get very full just eating a bowl of it. I am now trying barley - boil it with water until it softens and gets mushy. Add sugar and drink eat - preferably eat the barley also. Not sure whether it works. I only notice my cholesterol level going up as I age and also after menopause.

OK, here is my oatmeal story:

Dec '07 - I go to my annual flight physical on the ship, after being on cruise for 5 months. Cholesterol was 287. Navy Doc says take some pills, I say F.U., look at what the ship's meals consist of, let me re-test in 3 or 4 months.

Apr '08 - I have been at Staff College for over 3 months, eating oatmeal nearly every morning and cutting out most cheese and fried foods, and running and working out more regularly. Blood test shows cholesterol is 196.

So diet and exercise (and probably better sleep) helped chol go down nearly 100 points in 4 months.

At that time stuck to plain oatmeal with either honey or some berries with it. The problem with the pre-packaged stuff is all the sugar and HFCS they put in it. Lately I just do the fresh blueberries or strawberries, and add a scoop of flaxseed too (extra Omega-3s). I think green tea helps too.

I eat sawdust for breakfast, chol. down 30%. Just kidding, but diet does not raise or lower my chol. My body produces to much and by the way exercise doesn't help muchy.

As for me, high triglycerides seem to run in my family, if you will, and diet and exercise haven't lowered them into the "healthy" range.

A low carb diet will reduce triglycerides (and increase hdl)

Can't say anything about the cholesterol part, but lately with all this heat, I've been eating muesli for breakfast. Mix old fashioned oats (not instant) with water, shredded granny smith apples, lemon juice, a little honey. Throw in some almonds and raisins/craisins or whatever suits your fancy. Let it sit in the fridge overnight and enjoy cold in the morning. I can dig up the recipe for more exact measurements if anyone is interested. The best part for this young dreamer is that I can make enough for a whole week on Sunday and it takes no time to prepare in the mornings.

A good portion of the oatmeal that I was eating during my oatmeal days was muesli. I really liked it since I first tried it while on a cruise. Unfortunately I stopped eating it because of my concern with carbs and triglycerides. For those not concerned with carbs, it's really good and easy to make.

Back
Top Bottom