Christmas day menu

Looking like Beer, Cookies, Fudge, Pizza (all homemade from scratch) and some snacky stuff as I visit a few friends. Normal diet resumes Monday.

Typical Christmas Day fare, but no brisket this year:

Attachments

• loaded cutting boards.jpg
    loaded cutting boards.jpg
    869.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 6 Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.35.54 AM.jpg
    6 Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.35.54 AM.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 38
Xmas eve is always homemade spaghetti, garlic bread, pies, cookies and candy. It started when the kids were little and Santa always came then and instead of playing with the kids and adults I was stuck in the kitchen cooking. Once I switched to this meal the problem was solved. The kid’s dad and his wife flew in to celebrate with us this year. They fly home tomorrow and I will spend the day relaxing because I have been on the go all week.
Our family always observed the Tex-mex tradition of tamales and chili on Xmas eve. For many years I was flying to GA with a checked cooler full of frozen tamales. Since DF passed and Covid we haven’t had a Christmas get together although we did at least get together last January for the burial.

Nothing traditional or fancy: coarsely mashed potatoes, carrots, garlic, butter, and chicken breasts cooked in mushroom gravy. Adding vegetable cooking water to mushroom gravy so lots of leftover gravy for poutine next week.

breakfast will be our usual Sunday breakfast...biscuits and oatmeal! that's been our holiday and Sunday breakfast for decades.

dinner will be just the two of us...

we have a 2.75-lb Jennie-O turkey breast, mashed taters, green beans, green peas, cranberry sauce, crescent dinner rolls. apple pie for later desert.

For Christmas dinner (after church tomorrow), our daughter will be here (her new fiance is working), and DH is cooking a Standing rib roast with creamy horseradish sauce (yum!), brussels sprouts, and sauteed garlic mixed mushrooms. I am cooking brownies with ice cream and homemade caramel sauce and also creamy potatoes au gratin. Oh man, I'm making myself hungry.

On Monday morning, we are celebrating and opening gifts with the same daughter and her fiance. DH is making eggs benedict. He makes it just how I like it -- very lemony. Yum! We eat well around here!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Thanks everybody. Please keep them coming.

I grew up eating Lutefisk for Christmas. I prefer Prime Rib.

We never really saw the Christmas meal as "traditional" like Thanksgiving, so it will be nothing too fancy. It will be just DW, one DS, and I. Brunch/Late lunch will be T-Bone steak, rice, vegetables, salad. Desert is (store bought) chocolate cream Pie. Various chips to snack on, with my homemade onion-bacon-garlic dip. Also candies and chocolate/caramel popcorn). We tend to have one big meal, then snack throughout the day.

Normally we would go out in the evening to look at home christmas lighting displays, and sometimes drive to nearby parks where they have fancier light setups. But with the cold we will stay nice and warm inside.

What we have been doing recently is create a project plan, or script, for the day. Every thing for the meal has an entry in the plan, this way you can see that the green bean casserole goes in the main oven on the top rack at 375 at 1:40, and the rolls go in the toaster oven at 1:45. It takes a lot of the stress out of doing a big meal, and makes sure that the whole meal comes together at the same time.

I got a 12 lb. Angus Ribeye roll for $120, trimmed it up, and got 12 nice, 1” thick, Ribeyes. For Christmas lunch, we’ll grill Ribeyes and have baked and sweet potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, asparagus, garlic toast and lots and lots of appetizers to snack on all day long.

We had Christmas dinner at DDs last night and another one at DSisters today with about 40 people.

Last night was a wonderful prime rib and lobster pie (aka lazy man's lobster), green bean casserole, mashed potatoes , arugula salad. Very good.

We are in Australia. We had a big lunch at a seafood restaurant and ended up skipping dinner as we weren’t very hungry. Yesterday we bought lamb chops, potatoes, salad, and fresh green beans. Will make it tomorrow instead.

DD2 is hosting her first time. Ham, ziti, potatoes & green beans.
The flu has taken out most of her guest list.

Audrey, that’s funny that you traveled with the food:)). Back in the day I always made a big turkey dinner like thanksgiving on Xmas day. That ship sailed once the kids grew up.

The meals in this thread look delicious. ER Forum members cook and eat well!

Yesterday we had a mid-afternoon get together with my mum. We had some Basque sheep cheese (Ossau Iraty) and “pan de jamón” along with a glass of wine. We left her with stollen and gingerbread cookies.

For dinner we had Indian take out.

Today it’s pretty chilly but I’ll still grill some bison steaks, which we’ll have with baked japanese sweet potato, green beans and a nice Pinot Noir.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone.
DW picked up a boneless Honeybaked ham, I just finished putting together a roast that'll cook all day for debris. We'll have that on pistolettes (small 4-5" French breads).

Yum…, you made me think of the po’boys from Mothers. Been too many years without a Ferdi Special.

Merry Christmas!

Our traditional breakfast on Christmas morning is scrambled eggs with red-eyed gravy, country cured ham, sausage and buttermilk biscuits (it’s only once a year…).

Dinner is smoked prime rib with an jus and horseradish cream sauce, Yukon gold mash, pear and walnut salad with grand marnier soufflé for dessert.

We had Christmas dinner at DDs last night and another one at DSisters today with about 40 people.

Last night was a wonderful prime rib and lobster pie (aka lazy man's lobster), green bean casserole, mashed potatoes , arugula salad. Very good.

For a moment or two I thought both prime rib and lobster was in the pie!

Hey, that lazy man’s lobster sounds great! I love seafood in a sherry cream sauce, and no need for a crust either. I will be adding saffron to the cream!

Last edited:
Our traditional breakfast on Christmas morning is scrambled eggs with red-eyed gravy, country cured ham, sausage and buttermilk biscuits (it’s only once a year…).

Dinner is smoked prime rib with an jus and horseradish cream sauce, Yukon gold mash, pear and walnut salad with grand marnier soufflé for dessert.

Wow! Dinner sounds awesome!

We do have a prime rib rack to smoke and reverse sear, but I’ve ended up saving it for New Year’s Day.

Hey Steeler75 had a Ferd last night, DW picked up fried shrimp and french bread for lunch, debris was done for dinner, what was I to do?

For breakfast, I made a blueberry Dutch Baby.

For lunch, we made tomato soup with lemon and rosemary, and grilled cheese sandwiches.

We've been snacking on Nutella Pinwheel and Rainbow cookies here and there that my wife baked.

For dinner, we're having an appetizer of stuffed mushrooms, a main course of lamb shanks with mashed potatoes with a cabernet from Sonoma, and a dessert of Ricotta cake.

Attachments

• 01-Breakfast.jpg
    01-Breakfast.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 02-Lunch - Hearty Tomato Soup with Lemon and Rosemary.jpg
    02-Lunch - Hearty Tomato Soup with Lemon and Rosemary.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 03a-Appetiser.jpg
    03a-Appetiser.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 18
  • 03b-Dinner.jpg
    03b-Dinner.jpg