Christmas day menu

We’re having beef tenderloin, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts, green beans, salad, rolls, shrimp, and spaghetti and meatballs for the grandkids.
Usually some charcuterie board items and other appetizers before dinner.

Tonight we had our Christmas dinner at my son's house next door.

Ham
Lasagna
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans
Rolls
Deviled Eggs
Many different sweets

They are coming over tomorrow morning for breakfast:

Sausage Potato Casserole and Banana Bread

DD and DSIL and our three grandchildren will be leaving SC on 1/8/24 to drive to our house. DD has never driven their Class A RV and is going to try it, while her DH works. If she is too nervous, they will park until he is off work and then he will drive. Anyway, whenever they get here, they want to have Christmas dinner with us. I am having an outpatient surgery on 1/10/24, so we will be having whatever she wants to cook. She told me that is the plan and my job is to watch movies with the grandkids.

Traditional southern fair here, marinated BBQ roadkill of various varieties.

Christmas dinner looks much like Thanksgiving dinner. The one change is the desserts. Instead of pumpkin pie, we have a Yule log and Christmas cookies.

Turkey
Stuffing
Brussel sprout
Roasted root vegetables
Turkey Gravy
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Yule Log
Cookies

Our big meal is Christmas Eve.

Charcuterie board with meats, cheeses, olives.
Eggplant caponata.
Baked clams.
Fish salad with squid, octopus and shrimp, dressed with capers, lemon and olive oil.
Shrimp cocktail.
Ciabatta bread.

Pasta course was linguini and clam sauce.

Main course was Beef Wellington. I did induvial pieces rather than the whole roast.
Fingerling potato's roasted with duck fat.
Carrots braised in dark sugar, butter and a splash of bourbon.

Cheese cake and assorted cookies. My wife baked 23 varieties this year.

Everything is home made and I raked the clams myself.

Too much food.

Our dinner with kids/grands will be tomorrow:

Breakfast mid morning:
Stuffed French toast cassarole

Appetizers:
Veggie tray
crackers/cheese/salami

Mid afternoon Dinner:
Prime Rib Roast/bone in
Rosemary baby potatoes
Corn cassarole
Waldorf salad
Rolls
Pecan Pie
Frosted Christmas sugar cookies

That whole 7 fish thing is an urban legend, in my opinion, and something more of a tradition specific to one's individual family. One of my friends claims to do it, and has fried squid on his menu. "Was Jesus big on fried calamari?" He didn't find it funny. :LOL:

I do the fish salad, we've done lobsters in the past (very easy to cook and everyone likes them). There is always some form of fish or shellfish. I'd like to try sardines and anchoives...the big fresh ones, not the canned stuff. That would be good.

Our dinner with kids/grands will be tomorrow:

Breakfast mid morning:
Stuffed French toast cassarole

Appetizers:
Veggie tray
crackers/cheese/salami

Mid afternoon Dinner:
Prime Rib Roast/bone in
Rosemary baby potatoes
Corn cassarole
Waldorf salad
Rolls
Pecan Pie
Frosted Christmas sugar cookies
That sounds lovely, very elegant.

Our Christmas eve dinner with friends was:

• rosemary lemon drop martinis
  • baked feta with honey and herbs
  • Alaskan King Crab legs
  • stuffing
  • roasted carrots
  • salad
  • pecan pie

It was oh so divine!

Step-daughter and her family are coming over along with one son's girlfriend. Step-son and his daughter and the great grand kids are up north so we will miss them and settle for talking on the phone when everyone is here.
I've been up since early morning prepping and cooking. My wife is cleaning while I cook.

Cheese tray with olives and pickles
Roast Turkey
Walnut/apple stuffing
Mash potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Broccoli
Roast Carrots
Plain gravy and gravy with giblets
Daughter is bringing salad and dessert

Nothing fancy for me.

T-bone steak and fries :cool:.

Young turkey (smallish)
Mashed yam
Roasted Brussel sprouts
Sauteed asparagus
Fresh veggie tray (celery, carrot, radish, peppers, black olives and dill pickles)
Pumpkin pie from Costco

I love turkey and I love eating it with black olives, celery and dill pickles...

For just 2 of us, we are having baked salmon, sweet potatoes, mixed vegetables, and cranberry sauce. Dessert will be cookies and peanut butter logs.

Last night DW and I went out to dinner. Today we drove down to have Christmas lunch with my mum. We had chicken soup, beef stew, green beans. For dessert we went back to her room and enjoyed a slice of stollen and some pfeffernusse.

Tonight we’ll have Chinese take out. A first for us.

Last week I picked up a beautiful USDA Prime rib roast at Costco and did it on the BGE today. Just about perfect IMHO. I know some may be appalled, but I remove the bones and tie it up. The bones will be used later to make some wonderful stock.

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpg
    IMG_4055.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 3
I run with Asian types these days. Christmas (Eve) dinner was way over the top, too much to handle. Sinfully splendid.
Rice.
pancit.
lumpia.
dead fish.
dead pig.
dead cow.
BBQ ribs.
dead chicken.
shrimp cooked in the oven.
biscuits with cheese filling.
custard pie.

Sparkling cider.
Someone brought some moonshine with plums floating in it.
Often, I just have to play the game in conversation, the way the Andrews Sisters spelled it out in their song:

Because the accent is always on the WRONG Syl-AB-le. It makes conversations an adventure. LOL. They all treat me like royalty, though.
https://youtu.be/rD6_iG-QEbM

Last week I picked up a beautiful USDA Prime rib roast at Costco and did it on the BGE today. Just about perfect IMHO. I know some may be appalled, but I remove the bones and tie it up. The bones will be used later to make some wonderful stock.
Nice!

Today I watched the Breaded Butchers and how to cut prime rib 3 different ways, they like to cut off the bones, season, then tie the bones back on for smoking.

Last edited:
Along with leftover prime rib and horseradish cream sauce we ended up having:

Crabcakes appetizer
Roasted butternut squash
Asparagus
Beef drippings jus with garlic and dried porcini mushrooms.

Comice pear with aged Dutch Gouda.

All I can add is that as a huge fan of every type of seafood, I totally approve! :LOL: What a wonderful tradition.

It’s a very long standing one. Came from southern Italy. The tradition generally was to fast the day before a major feast day, which in practical terms meant avoiding meat the day before.

We normally host either Christmas eve (7 fishes) or Christmas Day. This year was Christmas day. Bacon and Cheddar Omlettes with toast for kids (twin 18 year olds). for the extended family at 1pm : Appetizer is salad with red onions, olives, pepperoni and assorted rolled meats. then lasagna course. then chicken parm, meatballs, ziti. followed up with homemade cookies.

We went with a southern theme for Xmas. Our meal with the kids was

Smoked pulled pork BBQ
Smoked baked beans
Potatoes au Gratin
Mac n Cheese
Buttertop rolls
Pumkin Pie with whipped cream
Various cookies
Nice riesling & pinot noir wines
Tumbler of whiskey

Went to bed with a full belly.

Last edited: