Christmas day menu

This years dinner will be rescheduled, we missed it yesterday due to the ice storm.
Same Here
The weather was part... Smoked Prime rib and Lobster tail was on the menu at the DD and husbands place. But hes come down sick, Covid negative, but cough and fever. To cold to smoke outside.
So we stayed home and tossed mainated chicken (left overs that didn't fit on the grill from their wedding) and yellow rice in the Instapot.

Somewhat in line with the topic of Christmas menus, here is Google’s list of the most searched for Christmas cookies for 2023 by state:

https://www.axios.com/2023/12/18/ch...ditorial&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Zoom in: Italian Christmas Cookies were the top cookie in 13 states, more than double the six states from 2022, Google Trends curator Katie Seaton told Axios.

Seaton said the Italian cookies dominated the East Coast both this year and last year.
Of note: The number of states with some version of a gingerbread cookie decreased by more than half from 2022, Seaton said. This year, three states searched most for gingerbread, down from seven.

Peanut butter blossoms were the dominant cookies for four states, a decrease from six last year.

22 pound turkey
potato salad
cauliflower/cheese/panko thingy
pound cake
egg nog

BBQ ribs, spiral ham and all the trimming.

appetizer tray

smoked beef brisket
Italian sausage
baked beans
cole slaw
egg nog

family to bring additional sides and desserts

What defines an Italian Christmas cookie? I made a batch of Sicilian almond cookies yesterday for our 7 fishes dinner tonight. But there are lots of types of Italian cookies....

Here's our Christmas Eve 7 fishes menu:
Antipasti:
Shrimp
Pizza with Salmon and capers
Bagna Cauda (anchovy, garlic cream) dip with crusty bread.

For the main:
A roasted whole bass on a bed of fennel
Cous con Pesce (a very fishy, very Eastern Sicilian dish)
Baked scallops
Mussels in white wine over pasta

Dessert:
Almond cookies
Panettone

Keeping it simple this year:
Honey Baked ham
Funeral potatoes
Green beans
Biscuits
Cheesecake
Pumpkin pie (actually butternut squash pie)

Just the two of us...

- Hormel Turkey Slices (microwave)
- Bob Evans mashed potatoes (microwave)
- Green peas & Green Beans
- Cranberry sauce
- Either biscuits. (Pillsbury Southern Style) or Coffee Cake Muffins
- Desert is either a slice of NY style cheesecake or 1/2 of an apple square

Waffle House hash browns all the way. Meeting a widower friend there on my way to extended family where I'll probably get fed some ham and mid-western casserole/salad type stuff along with lots of cookies.

Last edited:
Stuffed Cornish Game Hens on the grill, salads, mash potatoes/gravy, Reisling and Sauvignon Blanc

Had our family get together yesterday with the grands. Debris mini poboys, fried string potatoes. Kept it simple. Tomorrow DSIL is having her siblings over for pulled pork, we're doing cabbage sausage casserole and butter beans with Tasso. Not sure what the others and bringing.

Homemade lasagna tonight. Pushed ahead the Oxtail last week.

My DiL is making my favorite Polish meal but I’m sick so they will drop it off. It’s breaded and fried pork cutlets with gravy and I’m not sure what they call the little white balls but they are delicious and take the place of potatoes and you put gravy on them.

I'm getting hungry reading all these delicious sounding menus!

Today I'm making sausage stuffed mushrooms and fudge with a mint center for a get together with a neighbor and a couple other friends Christmas Eve.

Tomorrow DH will make crepes for breakfast. Then I'll make supper: scallops with a sherry/butter/garlic sauce, basmati pilaf, and some sort of veggie.

It is just the 2 of us, as it always is, we have no other family. We do get invited by friends, but honestly, we relish the time to ourselves and usually turn down all the invites so our friends can enjoy their families. I think they may feel sorry for us, but we turn them down each year.

This year it is a nice boneless spiral sliced ham with basic trimmings, just how we like it.

Last edited:
I'm alone this Christmas and will be going to DD's for turkey and whatever later today. Tomorrow will be football games on the tube and laying around.

My present for my new doggie is a DNA test kit to see what is in him besides Terrier and Schnauzer. If there was a breed named "wild man" I'm sure that would be in there too.:LOL:

My present for my new doggie is a DNA test kit to see what is in him besides Terrier and Schnauzer. If there was a breed named "wild man" I'm sure that would be in there too.:LOL:

Pet presents—I think this warrants a new thread with a poll...

We're not getting together with anyone else, or eating anything special. We're not religious and don't really celebrate.

BUT... Christmas is not just a religious holiday in America, it's also a cultural phenomenon and a time for sweet memories of times past. We do treat ourselves to extra time spent together, so that neither of us starts to feel depressed. We'll probably watch some videos, and get a cheap take-out sandwich from our nearby sportsbar. Reading this, it sounds like a crummy Christmas. But really we'll be perfectly happy. We do this every year. :)

Christmas Eve and we two are keeping it simple. Tes Pesce with Shrimp and Scallops over pasta with a Lobster Cream sauce.

Christmas Day is a small family gathering at our place. DW is making Chicken Francese, which she has perfected over the years.

We've found a wonderful Malbec at Total Wine. Don Edmundo from Argentina, rated at 92 and only $11. Probably knock over a bottle or two this weekend.

Our Christmas brunch is rescheduled due to Covid (mine). Hopefully DH does not get it and we can get together next Sunday.

Ham
Ham balls
Scalloped potatoes
Monkey Bread
Fresh Fruit

I'm alone this Christmas and will be going to DD's for turkey and whatever later today. Tomorrow will be football games on the tube and laying around.

I don't have any little kids to buy stuff for anymore, so last year and this year I bought dog toys for the my kid's and grandkid's dogs. It added some cheer for me!

Smoked turkey breast, mashed w gravy, corn pudding (me), broccoli cheese casserole (DW) and King’s Hawaiian rolls. Same tomorrow w champagne and pumpkin cake roll. And that’s just dinners…

Back
Top Bottom