Chromecast

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a question for the Chromecast owners in the group.

There are some pretty good website that I like for news, etc. They are basically webcasting a show rather than broadcasting it OTA or on cable.

If I use Chromecast with my Chrome browser can I cast the show to my TV and essentially watch the video on TV rather than on my small computer screen?

I just did what you describe using a chromebook and chromecast. I also cast Amazon movies with my desktop (Core 3) and the chrome browser. The chromebook doesn't have enough power to do HD movies, but for a newscast, it would be OK.

I watched an online stream of the National Pickleball tournament on my TV and the results were acceptable.

Yes but IIRC it uses a different routing. When you Chromecast from YouTube, Netflix or other compatible apps, it casts directly from your router to the TV and your phone/laptop merely serves as a 'remote'.

If you cast from a non compatible, you have to cast through your browser which means you're at the mercy of your laptop's capabilities. Some Chromebooks won't do it..you need an Intel processor based one.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the Chromecast will solve a few problems and make a few things easier. But, it won't replace my Tivo, that's for sure.

Yes but IIRC it uses a different routing. When you Chromecast from YouTube, Netflix or other compatible apps, it casts directly from your router to the TV and your phone/laptop merely serves as a 'remote'.

If you cast from a non compatible, you have to cast through your browser which means you're at the mercy of your laptop's capabilities. Some Chromebooks won't do it..you need an Intel processor based one.

+1 Casting from the web browser works great from the laptop, not so well from an older tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Correct. You can "screen-cast" any content from any device that has the Chromecast app installed. But, depending on the strength of your Wifi network and processing power of your device, this method can cause buffering, lag, and other quality problems. It's always preferable to use a Chromecast-compatible app. As marko says, this causes the Chromecast device itself to stream the content directly, while your device simply acts as a remote control.

IMHO, "screen-casting" or "mirroring" is a last resort if the content you want to cast is not available using an app with Chromecast support. There's a fairly well-maintained list of compatible apps on Wikipedia.

I cast Bloomberg TV all the time with an older Celeron CPU and it works OK if I stop most other processes.

Back
Top Bottom