Class of 2023

Congrats Shepard :)
I was going out right about now and will keep up with my original class.

Turned in my notice today. My last day of work is July 14, 2023.

Got my last paycheck on June 30. Now enjoying Independence Day 🥳

Coming close to the date... ran the numbers myself a number of times, plus 100% Firecalc, and just had a meeting with my Financial advisor to run the numbers for May 2023 and May 2024 :)facepalm:) to see what another year means, besides another year that we can never get back to earn money we may never spend. He is supposed to get back with me in a few days.

Wife went from onboard to iffy due to the economy right now. :popcorn:

We are moving to 2024. Not a big deal. I have started the process of winding down my career and training my replacement which will take some time. DW and I are going to Italy for a couple of weeks in November.. which is just a few months away. Ski vacation in Big Sky. Montana in Feb. Bonus payout in early May... then all done. Now that she has said it outloud a few times, DW has gotten excited about it, which is exactly as it should be.

But wanted to make it official and get off this thread and over to the 2024 one. Congrats to all that make it this year!

Last edited:
I am retiring one week from today on July 26. Our daughter graduates physician assistant school on August 4 and we all travel as a family to Iceland on August 5, returning on August 27.

Very much looking forward to more Pickleball, Hockey and Travel.

Congratulations to all.

After a couple years of OMY and a lot of internal questioning, I told my boss i'm planning to retire. We're still sorting out the last day, but it will be sometime before November. I've spent my entire working life afraid of getting laid off and being unable to get a new job, so this is scary, but reading all the reports from people here made me realize that's a natural reaction. Still alternating between terrified and thrilled, but leaning more to excited each day.

I've spent my entire working life afraid of getting laid off and being unable to get a new job...

This pretty much describes my entire working career as well. Toss it off and dump this mindset, it's weighed you down long enough. You made it, let this part of the past go.

After retiring in June 2023 this year, all International travel plans for 2023 and 2024 have been given the go signal by DW. We fly in 2 days to Italy:
1) Sept - October 2023 - Half month in the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Positano, then Matera, Puglia, Gargano, Vieste, Vesuvius, Napoli.
Then, 2024 ...
2) Jan - February 2024 - 10 days in Venice
3) May 2024 - 2 weeks minimum - renting a car and drive starting in Munich Germany, and on to Switzerland (the Alps), and Austria

Last day was this past Saturday. Wanted to hang it up while my age still started with a 5. Done at 59 1/2. Been taking 3 months off the last 3 winters and I think that contributed to the ease of walking away from a great company and coworkers.

:greetings10: After changing my mind last year to do OMY I have handed in my notice and will retire at the end of this month at age 59. It came down to my own mental and physical wellbeing after recent management changes at work. Basically the $$ versus BS :mad: tradeoff. Financially the math works and it provides a window of time to do some ROTH conversions prior to pension and SS. We have a family recruitment cruise to the Carribean booked for next month with T shirts for everyone to wear "Retirement Cruise 2023"

Last edited:
Last work day was 30 Nov, enjoyed a going away party yesterday. Enjoyed work but I am now Financially Independent. We are set with pensions over $92K a year, great healthcare, and $670K in Roth/IRAs. We owe about 20K on our home worth $750K, no rush paying off loan at 3.1%. Healthy at age 61, training for another marathon and going to play more pickleball. Still have 3 kids at home, two adopted and one surprise baby late in life. Plenty to keep me busy with sports, band, dance, etc. I am going to work on home projects and slow down for about 3 months then consider part time work and volunteering if I like the work and flexibility.

Congratulations to all who have retired in 2023!

I never added my name to this thread, but I announced my retirement in the "Hi, I am..." forum. Retired on April 8th. Loving it. Earlier this week I bumped into a coworker, and we chatted for 10 minutes or so. From what I heard from him, I got out at a very good time.

Congratulations to everyone else who retired this year.

I just saw this threat and wanted to add my name to the list. I quit the 9-5 in May, but was asked to come back a few hours a week remotely. I still consider it retirement and I've been enjoying every day of it. We spent a month in Europe this summer traveling with my spouse and her family, another month hosting more friends and family in Colorado, mountain bike season stretched all the way into November for me this year, and now we're preparing to leave for a ritzy early season ski getaway this weekend. My former colleagues consistently describe the current mood in the office as, "miserable."

Congrats to everyone that retired this year, whether fully or partially!

I just saw this threat and wanted to add my name to the list. I quit the 9-5 in May, but was asked to come back a few hours a week remotely. I still consider it retirement and I've been enjoying every day of it. We spent a month in Europe this summer traveling with my spouse and her family, another month hosting more friends and family in Colorado, mountain bike season stretched all the way into November for me this year, and now we're preparing to leave for a ritzy early season ski getaway this weekend. My former colleagues consistently describe the current mood in the office as, "miserable."

Congrats to everyone that retired this year, whether fully or partially!
Co-guy - Awesome retirement!! Sounds awesome.

Co-guy - Awesome retirement!! Sounds awesome.

Thanks! Just got home from an amazing ski getaway with great conditions, no lift lines and empty slopes.

Full disclosure: I was pretty anxious last week. My better-half and I decided to throw our holiday party on the same night as the office party at my (former) workplace. Since we were leaving town the next morning, I settled into the idea of a small gathering with our closest friends. However, much to my surprise, all of our friends from my former workplace showed up to our home, booze in hand, for what turned out to be a huge blowout bash. Still some tidying to do now that we're back, but it really lifted me up to know that my friends support me in this transition. Sure they've all said it previously, but actions speak volumes.

Back
Top Bottom