Class of 2023

31 Dec is a Saturday, working last day of the year ?

Technically, yes. That is the official end of my pay period. But in actuality, i went out for drinks with a group of friends and celebrated most of the day. It feels great not to do all the normal work things I would do today, which would have been my first day back after having off for New Year’s Day on Monday. Slept great last night as well!

Here we are 5 days into 2023. DW and I are still planning for a May/June 2023 retirement.

The market may end up dictating whether we follow through or end up on our second OMY. If the market will stay even or even improve a bit, I think we pull the trigger. If the market goes down even more, we might decide to just pile up funds for another 6 months to a year since by May we will have no house payment, car payment, or credit card bills to pay.

Time will tell... just gotta make sure we dont run out of it :cool:

I'm technically down to my last month. In all likelihood, though, because I did not give notice it may drag on for a bit, depending on what I can negotiate.

Sadly perhaps, I think I'm punting from 2023 to 2024. Targeting April 2024 to time with annual incentive comp payout. This gets us through the one year (sep 23-may 24) when we'll have two in college, allows us to continue to fill our cash bucket, and perhaps the market will have found its bottom and will return to an upward trend.

Could change if I get completely fed up with the bs at work...but for now, I'm wrapping my head around 2024 as my likely ER date.

I’m officially in the Class of 2023! April 28th will be my last day of work at MegaCorp and I will use 5 weeks of vacation after that to extend healthcare until June 2nd to get coverage for that month.

I admit it! I did OMY in ‘22. Was it worth it? I added to the $ pot but somedays I begrudgingly went to a high pressured job, I certainly missed out on family time. Is the trade off worth the money? Looking back over last year, maybe not but I don’t think I was in the right frame of mind to leave corporate life then. I needed the year to wind down, start to step away or what they say ‘quiet quit’.

I am excited for the next chapter, to wake up every day and do what I want!!

Officially Class of 2023

Long time since I posted. I officially will be part of the class of 2023. My switch to teaching from the real world has been enjoyable but it’s time to get on with ER. June 2, 2023 will be my last day.

Jimmer25

I'm planning 12/27/2023, so just barely in the class of '23.

Still lots of things to figure out. Everybody says I'm crazy to retire with two kids in college but from my viewpoint the costs are known and therefore I'm able to plan for.

If I were to delay one week I would end up paying additional $3000 on SS taxes for my final pay and leave cash-out. Plus it would delay the first 2% COLA for my pension by a year. Because of these two factors I would lose money retiring between Jan 1 and late April.

If not this December, then likely "One More Year".

I was planning on 4/1/23 for a long time but right now I kind of don't care. IDK just feeling blah I guess.

As of a few months ago I had decided to put it off but I am getting laid off so no choice now. There is no celebrating going on even at work as they are not allowing the usual parting activities due to the mass layoff. It feels odd.

Long time since I posted. I officially will be part of the class of 2023. My switch to teaching from the real world has been enjoyable but it’s time to get on with ER. June 2, 2023 will be my last day.

Jimmer25
My last day is also June 2! Retirement party May 19. I finally made it.

My wife's last day of work is supposed to be Apr 28th, 2023, with her pension starting Sep 1, 2023 (the earliest she is eligible). However, she can't apply for her pension until she gets her "official" estimate. She applied for that back in Sep 2022 and we're still waiting. No response to emails either. So we're kind of in limbo not knowing when she'll get her estimate so we can get the ball rolling. Apr 28th is getting close, so who knows if she'll actually be able to quit as planned.

I don't want to apply for ACA healthcare until we know an official date and have documentation for our expected income.

A few of her coworkers are in the same situation, just waiting. I don't know if that many people are retiring in the state, or if there's just one person handling all of the retirement applications. :)

Officially class of 2023. My last day was 15 Feb. I'm 57 and have been FI since 2010. Retired from military in 2013 and did contracting on/off (mostly on) for 10 years. 2 weeks in and I'm loving it.

As of a few months ago I had decided to put it off but I am getting laid off so no choice now. There is no celebrating going on even at work as they are not allowing the usual parting activities due to the mass layoff. It feels odd.

Punch out at the end of the day and go celebrate on your own time/dime and place of choice. Screw the company. They are laying you off. Hey, go collect some unemplyment $ for 6 months.

Coming close to the date... ran the numbers myself a number of times, plus 100% Firecalc, and just had a meeting with my Financial advisor to run the numbers for May 2023 and May 2024 :)facepalm:) to see what another year means, besides another year that we can never get back to earn money we may never spend. He is supposed to get back with me in a few days.

Wife went from onboard to iffy due to the economy right now. :popcorn:

Out at 50 ½ on 1.1.22

Didn't see a thread so figured I'd start one. I'll be 58. Tentatively marking 5/1/2023 as the date. :dance:

Anyone else targeting 2023?

Pulled the plug at the end of 2022 after three "OMY"s...

It is pure bliss and chill inducing. There is a small feeling of oddness to it as well, as though I have done something wrong.:LOL:

Travel, home purging and catching up with old friends has been great.

To anyone still chasing their #s, if the data works beyond a doubt (which describes many of you contemplating) then I encourage you to go for it. You will be thrilled as well.

Coming close to the date... ran the numbers myself a number of times, plus 100% Firecalc, and just had a meeting with my Financial advisor to run the numbers for May 2023 and May 2024 :)facepalm:) to see what another year means, besides another year that we can never get back to earn money we may never spend. He is supposed to get back with me in a few days.

Wife went from onboard to iffy due to the economy right now. :popcorn:

If you have enough and have a strategy to deal with SORR, you should be good. I retired in 2020 and took punches to the head that year and last year and I am still in great shape. Plan for bad economies and go for it.

Im 58...Called it a career on 3/24/2023. So far so good. Looking forward to figuring out what I want to be when I grow up but my days and nights are free!

59 YO and I retired March 3rd after a few OMY's. This past month has flown by and I am busier than I have ever been. I don't know how I ever found time to work! :dance:

I’m in. Originally planned on retiring last year, but MegaCorp announced plans to “reduce their footprint” in the coming year, so I decided to go OMY.

Over the past year MegaCorp had one wave of WFR’s after another, but always missed me. I suspected that I could get a severance, but in case that didn’t happen I decided that my retirement date would be in July of this year - a plan that I kept absolutely secret.

A short time ago they did another WFR, and I got lucky. Am now retired, and am getting paid a severance that will continue paying me well beyond my otherwise planned retirement date.

Glad I kept my mouth shut about my plan to retire. Had they known, they would have just let me retire and saved themselves a hefty chunk of change.

Life is good!

I have been lurking for a few years. I decided to join recently. My first day of retirement was March 1, 2023. I do not regret leaving megacorp after 31 years a single bit. They tried to get me to stay until I told my boss about all the jerky things he had done. I told him I no longer needed the job and I would be done after my 2 week notice.

I don't miss w*rk a single iota. Too many better things to do.

Im out August 1st at 49. Like others said, really nervous about it. But what can you do. Decisions have been made. The economy and inflation get you to second guess yourself. But , I think I will be ok. Counting the days.........

I had originally planned to retire in June 2022 but then I had a job opportunity pop up that made sense to take, and felt like I should commit for two years, which will be end of July 2023. I wanted to make sure I was healthy before clocking out so I could have any issues covered on employer-based insurance. I just finished all the relevant checkups and tests and, other than needing to lose weight (which should be easier post-retirement), everything checked out well, which is good because I was worried about a couple of things. Now that I’m sure there are no significant health concerns, I have let my mind start wandering towards retirement (age 52 now but will be 53 shortly).

I am tentatively planning to join the Class of 2023 but I can’t quite commit yet. First, even though I know I have enough money, it’s still scary for me to think of life without a nice paycheck. And like many other people, the economy is a bit worrying to me. But the bigger factor may be that I’m still not sure where I want to end up living. I know I don’t want to be where I am now, but I still don’t know what location is right for me. I am likely to check out several places and rent for a few months when I find two or three locations that make the most sense to me, but I’m just so eager to find that long-term place because I want to settle down and become part of a community and build a support network.

I am planning to leave my job this year, sometime between August 1 and November 1. I won’t put my place up for sale til March 2024. I’m thinking of traveling, spending a prolonged time in some places so I can figure out where I’d like to rent when the house is sold. If I do get cold feet, it will only be temporary; the latest I will keep working is March 2024, after bonus payout (which was not good at all this year, which is why there’s not much incentive to stay here through a miserable winter).

April 18, 2023 this week was my last "Face-to-Face" Day at the office. My day of retirement is June 30, and will get paid until that day.
Lucky to also get Bonus work for the month of June, my last month, getting an additional 10% of my yearly salary, but all work done online.
I returned my Laptop and my office Keys to my Department.
My boss was not there, just the Executive Assistant. The new Executive Assistant was already complaining that she made a "mistake" accepting the new job, and people were depressed.
To put it in context, I work at a University, and 2 students have been killed, gunned down off-campus near their off-campus dorm and buried this week. And the University security arrested a man a few weeks ago who was just outside our building with a cache of guns and more than 1,000 round of ammunition. And students are scared. The guy is out on a $100,000 Bail. He's free and roaming about.
I don't think I'll be going back to our office building.
Looking forward to retirement and getting a big paycheck with a bonus on my last month of work in June.

I figured I should join this thread... I was going to retire in 22, but I stalled as the market dropped and it turned into OMY. I turned in my two weeks notice last Friday, so 5/5 will be it for me!

I figured I should join this thread... I was going to retire in 22, but I stalled as the market dropped and it turned into OMY. I turned in my two weeks notice last Friday, so 5/5 will be it for me!

Come on in, the water is fine! :)

Retired June 2019. There have been many ups and downs in the almost four years since, but no regrets and life has been good.

Enjoy your retirement!

Back
Top Bottom