Closed on the sale of our house today!

Old Schwinn

Dryer sheet wannabe
What a bittersweet day! We just completed the 3 month ordeal of a mini home remodel(new paint, carpet , countertops)and putting our house on the market and taking the sale to closing. The first buyer backed out after getting cold feet. The second buyer had a clause in the offer that we had to remedy a “musty smell “ in the basement that no one else could smell, and the withdrew their offer. Third buyer closed the deal today! We moved into a nice rental home this past weekend and I’m sitting among the boxes basking in the freedom of financial independence! The house was paid off, so my cash position gets a big boost as soon as the wire transfer is released in the morning. After unboxing, the next task will be to give my 12 month notice at work! Then retire to the mountains next summer!
Despite all that excitement, I’m finding myself a little sad leaving the house DW and I built and raised our kids. Lots of good memories... but also lots of sleepless nights lurking on this forum to plot my escape. I have so much gratitude to so many people here. I can’t thank you all enough for helping us along on this journey!

Congratulations on completing one step of your escape.

Your bittersweet feelings about sale of your longtime custom home I am sure are normal. That home, with all the associated good memories, represents a significant portion of your life. Anyone would be melancholy on reflecting back on those good times.

All I can suggest is focus on the good times of "now", and look forward to making some good times in the future. I myself am looking at downsizing and selling the custom dream home my wife and I designed and had built. I have felt some twinges of nostalgia just thinking about the prospect, let alone actually doing it.

Last edited:
Congratulations on completing one step of you escape.

Your bittersweet feelings about sale of your longtime custom home I am sure are normal. That home, with all the associated good memories, represents a significant portion of your life. Anyone would be melancholy on reflecting back on those good times.

All I can suggest is focus on the good times of "now", and look forward to making some good times in the future. I myself am looking at downsizing and selling the custom dream home my wife designed and I had built. I have felt some twinges of nostalgia just thinking about the prospect, let alone actually doing it.

Thanks Robert! It’s a great time to sell a house. It was so strange today walking through our house that hasn’t been empty in 18 years. The hardwood floors have held up pretty well although showing a little patina from our family, friends and dogs. Thinking about chasing my toddlers around the kitchen island while they giggled and carried on!

Congratulations. I think your instincts are good. When I sold my first, 50 year old house, one of the contingencies in the offer was that I had to repair a cracked storm window pane. Given the minor expense and all the other warts a 50 year old house has, I passed, seeing all kinds of grief ahead.

Congratulations. Are you sure you really want to give 12 months notice at work? That’s a long time out to provide notice.

Congratulations. Are you sure you really want to give 12 months notice at work? That’s a long time out to provide notice.

Good point. Unless you are a doctor, federal circuit judge or an astronaut I'm not sure 12months is wise but that is my opinion.

Congrats.
You will always have those memories to take with you.
Now onward to the best part of your life.

Great point. Most people quickly become lame ducks after giving notice. For that reason, plus being so ready for ER, I gave the minimum required notice per my employment contract. My boss tried to invent me to stay until they found my replacement. I said no because I knew they would drag their feet and I knew my direct reports could handle the day to day tasks. Never regretted it.

Thanks Robert! It’s a great time to sell a house. It was so strange today walking through our house that hasn’t been empty in 18 years. The hardwood floors have held up pretty well although showing a little patina from our family, friends and dogs. Thinking about chasing my toddlers around the kitchen island while they giggled and carried on!

Very similar situation here...closed last week on residence of 13 years, and now sitting in a rented house 1000 miles away. Stressful and emotional (especially for DW).

But, yes, it's a great time to be a seller.

We're about to be in the same boat, clearing out our 26 years of living at the house where we raised our kids. It's tough, very tough especially for me because I'm a worrier. Hope that we can put it on market very soon and get it closed this summer, then it's off to the quiet and nice Melbourne FL area (Viera, specifically).

My bet is that we're going to be renting down there for a while given the craziness, but I'm hung up on whether to rent month-to-month or just sign a year lease somewhere. We've seen some nice resales well in our price range but I have no idea what they actually sold for. And we really want new construction in the Bridgewater community so that's probably a year wait anyway.

Last edited:
Good point. Unless you are a doctor, federal circuit judge or an astronaut I'm not sure 12months is wise but that is my opinion.

Unfortunately my employment contract requires 12 months notice. I could probably negotiate it to be shorter, but I’m comfortable with that timeframe. I should be able to cruise through the last 3-6 months with minimal effort.

Congratulations. You will always have your memories. Onward to the best time in your life!

Congratulations. Since you are under your company health insurance plan for the next 12 months, it could be a good idea to use the benefits ( medical, dental, procedures etc ).

Back
Top Bottom