COLA Watch

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Looks like it's gonna be a tiny bump for next FY.

August COLA Announced

For the month of August, the CPI is 227.056 – up 0.7 percent from July, and 1.7 percent above the COLA baseline figure of 223.233.

cola_chart.jpg

Food and energy prices can really whipsaw the CPI index. So along those lines, I noticed that crude oil prices and futures have gone down dramatically this week.

If energy prices keep dropping then I would expect an even smaller CPI change for next year.

But who knows how it all ends up.

Which CPI are we talking about? CPI-?

Which CPI are we talking about? CPI-?

As you may know, Social Security is tied to the CPI-W index. But [-]all[/-] most of the CPI-? variations suffer from the same issues mentioned.

In any case, I would expect a low-COLA (perhaps even the UN-COLA) this year.

Yeah, I don't expect a COLA of more than about 1.5% this year. Not much, but better than nothing.

the good news for those of us who have the opportunity to continue their investment into the SS system, is no COLA = no change in the max contribution limit. Guess what I am hoping for.

I haven't looked at CPI-U numbers, but depending on how sept plays out, I-bonds will be less exciting.

Better than anything most of us with j*bs have received in the last five years. :)

Yeah, I always have to laugh at the retired people who receive SS for most of their income complaining that they are on a "fixed income".:confused:

Yeah, I always have to laugh at the retired people who receive SS for most of their income complaining that they are on a "fixed income".:confused:

+1 - a huge pet peeve of mine. Esp when they get 'senior discounts', sometimes a reduction on property tax, or options to defer property tax (taxing body takes it from home value when sold).

A politician around here tried to offer a program where seniors had the option to offset some of their property taxes with 'work', doing things like acting as museum guides, helping with children programs, etc. From the responses, you'd think he'd tried to put them in chains and submit them to forced labor in the hot sun.

-ERD50

Which definitely beats a sharp stick in the ear.
I'll take it, and thank you very much!

Yeah, I don't expect a COLA of more than about 1.5% this year. Not much, but better than nothing.
Better than anything most of us with j*bs have received in the last five years. :)
When I started reading this thread I was thinking maybe Soc Sec COL adjustments should be based on an objective metric of median income for all workers. And then I stumbled on a similar thought. Would seem more equitable...:cool:

Attachments

• 628x471.jpg
    628x471.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
When I started reading this thread I was thinking maybe Soc Sec COL adjustments should be based on an objective metric of median income for all workers. And then I stumbled on a similar thought. Would seem more equitable...:cool:

I think this should be a factor in increases for all federal benefits, as well as the government overall budget. No wonder spending is out of control, when its growing faster than tax payer income.

Back
Top Bottom