Color printer for charity

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK, looking to buy a color printer for a local cat sanctuary and want to get a bit more info...

I have read some of the thread but now that I am looking I see that other companies now have large tank printers... I have one and like it... but I also remember a lot of people talk about Brother printers, including laser...

I want to get something for less than $200... printer and scanner... I know I can get HP ecotank...

Also, Black Friday sales are going on so a good deal will help...

Is this for just general office use or is there a specific purpose in mind, like printing announcements/ads and the like? That could help narrow down the suggestions.

How much printing will the cat sanctuary be doing?

The Brother Inktank I don't think are truly tanks (I may be mistaken) but just larger cartridges that don't run out off fast. Brother doesn't use ink bottles like the way Epson, HP, and Cannon do.

Looking at Amazon. On the lowest end of their EcoTank printers is one for $199. A printer, copier, scanner. Single sided prints. For $20 more can get one that prints on both sides.

I am new there but am told that they print out the paperwork of the cats... the vet reports, shots etc with the history of the cat...

Scan in docs to add to the files...

The girl said printing daily but I would bet it is every couple of days... more like a small business...

Even at every couple of days that'll be pretty much printing.

The only tank printer I'm familiar with firsthand is the Epson.

One thing worth considering though (that favors a laser) is the that with the ink in the Epson tank printers (at least with the number 502 ink) smears or blurs away if gets wet.

Pages printed on laser printers fair better when wet.

I am new there but am told that they print out the paperwork of the cats... the vet reports, shots etc with the history of the cat. Scan in docs to add to the files ...
Does this really require color? Ink color is a PITA especially in a seldom-used printer. Lasers work better but the rendering can be unpleasant. Both color ink and color toner are expensive. If the color is only an occasional need, maybe a service like FedEx/Kinkos would be most cost-effective.

Does this really require color? Ink color is a PITA especially in a seldom-used printer. Lasers work better but the rendering can be unpleasant. Both color ink and color toner are expensive. If the color is only an occasional need, maybe a service like FedEx/Kinkos would be most cost-effective.

This is my question. If color is not needed, a cheap monochrome laser printer would work great.

They print things that are sent to them in color... so I think they need color...

My laser is bad at pictures which the Epson is not...

I have thought about laser but did not want to pay much more than $200... cannot find a cheap color laser... also, Epson eco ink is cheap... laser is not..

If you are a Costco or Sam's Club member. I see they have some printers for under $200.

If you are a Costco or Sam's Club member. I see they have some printers for under $200.

Thanks. I saw those but not quite up to what they want. I can spend a few more dollars (like $230) and get a much better one IMO...

Probably going with the Epson 2850... I just do not like that the paper is hanging out the back...

Thanks. I saw those but not quite up to what they want. I can spend a few more dollars (like $230) and get a much better one IMO...

Probably going with the Epson 2850... I just do not like that the paper is hanging out the back...

The Epson 2850 looks like a good choice. I see that it does double sided prints too.

About the paper hanging out in the back. I'm not sure if that is totally a bad thing. A drawback I suppose is the paper can get dusty if not used for a long time. As for how well the paper feeds compared to sheet feed from bottom, I don't know. My first recollection of a printer with the back feed of paper is the old Apple Stylewriters. I bought a simple Samsung laser years ago that had a similar design and I can't recall the Samsung paper feed giving me any issues.

Back
Top Bottom