Cordless Leaf Blowers

Ready

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I’ve never needed a leaf blower before. We don’t have a yard so it’s not something that’s ever been on my list of must have tools. But last week after it rained our pickleball courts were soaking wet and unusable. One of the players brought a cordless blower so that we could blow the water off the courts. It worked pretty well but it ran out of battery power before I could completely dry off the court.

So I’ve been researching cordless blowers to see if there is one that could be up to the task of completely drying off a court so that we can play on them. I’m having a hard time understanding the economics of these devices.

It looks like the most powerful model out there is the Ego LB6504 blower. But in turbo mode the battery only lasts about 20 minutes, so that may not be enough time to finish the job. The blower itself cost $300. It’s the extra batteries I don’t understand.

To buy a second battery comparable to the battery that comes with the unit it would cost me $249. And that doesn’t include the charger, which also comes with the blower unit. If the blower + battery + charger cost $299, how can one extra battery cost $249? Why wouldn’t I just buy a second blower unit for an extra $50 rather than spending almost that much for just a battery?

I currently own a Ryobi air compressor that came with 2 18 volt One Plus batteries so I was hoping to buy a Ryobi blower that could utilize these batteries. But from what I’ve read an 18V battery would be so underpowered for the job that even with three batteries it may not be enough power to dry everything off.

Do people really buy these extra batteries for almost 80% of the cost of the unit?

We have a Milwaukee battery power blower and it's okay but doesn't last long and not powerful. When we need to bring the antique cars out of the garage for a show and it's rained I use a gas powered Echo leaf blower to blow the puddles and moisture off the driveway. A lot more power so you are done faster. Do you have to have a battery unit?

I would prefer to stay with an electric one if it can meet my needs. We both own Teslas so we haven’t been to a gas station in years and I’d prefer to keep it that way.

FYI, our Ego blower and trimmer have been rock solid since 2016. I think it makes a lot more sense if you have two devices that can share batteries.

I have a Ryobi 40V blower and I love it. The power output is proportional to how far you pull the trigger, so infinitely adjustable and so much quieter than the gasoline motor kind I used to use.

I couldn't say how long it lasts on a charge, but the 40V batteries come in different capacities so you would want the biggest one available. I think that's 6 amp-hours, and about $100.

I have not one but two spare 40V batteries because I have a Ryobi air compressor and a Ryobi chainsaw that use the same battery as the leaf blower.

As with most things battery, you may want to consider your eco-system because good batteries are expensive.

I'm very happy with my Milwaukee M18 series of tools, including the blower. 18 volts and it still does a heck of a job.

There was a post above about the battery not lasting with the M18, but I will say this: there are varieties of batteries. The standard batteries that came with my drill might last 10 minutes (standard XC5). However, I also have a high output XC 8, and it will last up to 20 to 30 minutes at full power. That's good for me, but sounds like it isn't enough for you. Milwaukee also makes an XC12 which is huge, but is also very expensive.

Yeah, it can get complicated. I always have a spare battery ready to go in case I run out.

Last edited:
I've pretty much converted all my tools to battery, using the Makita brand. I discovered batteries were a way to convince you to get their next battery tool. As you discovered; the blower is $300 w/batteries and 2 more batteries is $250. But try to buy the blower without batteries and it's $200. So the logical thing to do is to spend an additional $50 when buying 2 batteries and getting another tool. I have the blower, string trimmer, hedge shears, angle grinder, drill, screw driver, sawsall, etc and 10 batteries now. When I use the blower, I can swap out batteries and keep going.
BTW, the battery blower is adjustable for power. Low setting works great in the garage and walkways, high for blowing water off the car after washing and getting leaves out of rock garden.

I have a Ryobi 40V blower and I love it. The power output is proportional to how far you pull the trigger, so infinitely adjustable and so much quieter than the gasoline motor kind I used to use.

I couldn't say how long it lasts on a charge, but the 40V batteries come in different capacities so you would want the biggest one available. I think that's 6 amp-hours, and about $100.

I have not one but two spare 40V batteries because I have a Ryobi air compressor and a Ryobi chainsaw that use the same battery as the leaf blower.

I like Ryobi products but the battery economics are about the same as the Ego. The Ryobi 40V blower at Home Depot is $159 with one 4.0Ah battery. A second 4.0Ah battery by itself is $139. Why would anyone spend $139 on a battery when they could have an entire second unit for $20 more?

If you don't want the Ryobi brand name on it you can get the equivalent 40V 6 Ah battery for $70.

If you don't want the Ryobi brand name on it you can get the equivalent 40V 6 Ah battery for $70.

I did see the third party batteries on Amazon, and yes they do make the economics look better for the Ryobi line. For the Ego line the third party batteries are still very expensive.

I bought an ego with a battery and charger, it was only a 2.5 Ah. It shot craps under warranty and they didn't want the battery or charger back. When you bought another I ended up with a second battery and charger. I don't ever go through one around our house.

How big of battery does this come with?

I have the Ryobi 18v system like you and I have the leaf blower. It is not up to the task of blowing a court dry. It might be able to complement your friends blower and with you having a couple batteries, it might be helpful, but it’s not powerful enough. I saw people blowing off their cars with leaf blowers instead of drying them with a cloth. I tried it with my Ryobi leaf blower and it barely moved the water.

It’s a great machine for a little debris clean up after mowing, but 18v just isn’t going to do what you want.

As for the economics of these machines, it’s that way for all the battery operated things I’ve seen. One battery costs as much as a whole new unit. Crazy. That’s why it’s nice to build a system of multiple tools around the same battery. I built up my batteries for my Ryobi by getting things on sale where they often included an extra battery. It’s crazy though. If a battery goes bad on a cordless drill, you can get a new drill for the cost of a battery. Makes for a very disposable item instead of wearing out the drill by just replacing the battery.

I have an EGO blower and it works great. The 2.5Ah battery lasts plenty long my use. I have 2 5Ah batteries that I got with my snow blower. I could use one of those with the leaf blower but that would get pretty heavy after a few minutes. I also have a 7.5Ah battery that I got with my lawn mower. That think is way too heavy to use with the leaf blower. I agree the replacement cost of the batteries is way too high. I haven't had to buy a seperate battery and I probably never will. I would just buy a whole new unit that comes with a battery.

My Ryobi 40v blower is a champ. Battery lasts for several tasks. It's a thing of beauty.

I have the Ryobi 18v system like you and I have the leaf blower. It is not up to the task of blowing a court dry. It might be able to complement your friends blower and with you having a couple batteries, it might be helpful, but it’s not powerful enough. I saw people blowing off their cars with leaf blowers instead of drying them with a cloth. I tried it with my Ryobi leaf blower and it barely moved the water.

It’s a great machine for a little debris clean up after mowing, but 18v just isn’t going to do what you want.

As for the economics of these machines, it’s that way for all the battery operated things I’ve seen. One battery costs as much as a whole new unit. Crazy. That’s why it’s nice to build a system of multiple tools around the same battery. I built up my batteries for my Ryobi by getting things on sale where they often included an extra battery. It’s crazy though. If a battery goes bad on a cordless drill, you can get a new drill for the cost of a battery. Makes for a very disposable item instead of wearing out the drill by just replacing the battery.

I think that's the one I bought this past summer, and ended up taking it back. I was just hoping for one that would do a good job of blowing leaves off the deck. It just did an okay job, so I'm sticking with my Toro corded. The Toro corded One that I've had for a few years is so good and so light it's kind of hard to go to batteries where everything is heavier, more expensive, and battery life and performance iffy.

I'm hoping that changes.

I think that's the one I bought this past summer, and ended up taking it back. I was just hoping for one that would do a good job of blowing leaves off the deck. It just did an okay job, so I'm sticking with my Toro corded. The Toro corded One that I've had for a few years is so good and so light it's kind of hard to go to batteries where everything is heavier, more expensive, and battery life and performance iffy.

I'm hoping that changes.

I've had excellent use from corded Toro blowers and they last a LONG time if not abused.

The thing about cordless anything is that you're only going to get so many years before the batteries no longer work well (don't hold much of a charge). So, I only buy cordless tools when I already have other tools of the same brand that take the same batteries, so at least replacement batteries are a "shared" expense.

I bought a Sear's deal of 2 drills and 2 batteries for $100.
Within 6 months or so, one of the batteries died and would not charge.
The warranty covered it so I phoned and the person said they didn't have any to replace it with :confused:
He said I couldn't replace it at a store, even though they sold the batteries, but he offerred I could order anything else worth $50 from Sears.
So they had some 20 ton house jacks on sale for 1/2 price, so I told him I'd take 2 of those since it came to $51.
They arrived and I'm sure the shipping was $20 as the boxed weight a LOT :D

OP's question, Normally with the high cost of spare batteries, I'd spring a little more and get a tool & battery combo, it only makes sense.

Months later Sears had a clearance on batteries and I bought a new one for $14 :D

My Ryobi 40v blower is a champ. Battery lasts for several tasks. It's a thing of beauty.

Glad to know. But heavy compared to the Toro corded.

When I find a blower and hedge trimmer of same brand (to battery share) and with power and not overly heavy, I will buy. But after a lot of research and after trying and returning the highly rated Ryobi 18V blower, I came up empty.

As much as I want to like these things (and I do love my 18V battery string trimmer, no longer made) I think the battery tech is not quite there yet.

Last edited:
One note to anyone in the market:go out on YouTube I think there's a guy called the blower guy and he does some fantastic comparison tests on these battery operated blowers. It will definitely give you an impression of which ones are best and the trade-offs.

It includes just about every blower I've seen advertised.

One note to anyone in the market:go out on YouTube I think there's a guy called the blower guy and he does some fantastic comparison tests on these battery operated blowers. It will definitely give you an impression of which ones are best and the trade-offs.

It includes just about every blower I've seen advertised.

Yes, I saw the video and the Ego was the easy winner. I really don’t mind spending $300 on a blower. I’m just concerned that even with the massive 60V battery that comes with the Ego it may not be enough for the job, and a second battery cost almost as much as the blower unit with the battery and charger. I really don’t have a need for any other Ego products so sharing the battery across devices is not an option. But it may be that there is no other solution and I’ll just have to try it and hope that one battery does the job.

The attachments are to the baterries what printers were to ink cartridges.... sort of... the components are reasonably priced but the batteries are expensive.

I have the Ryobi 18v ONE+. I bought the string trimmer, blower and battery for $270. I later bought just the pole saw for $80. Just a battery is $80-100.

The attachments are to the baterries what printers were to ink cartridges.... sort of... the components are reasonably priced but the batteries are expensive.

I have the Ryobi 18v ONE+. I bought the string trimmer, blower and battery for $270. I later bought just the pole saw for $80. Just a battery is $80-100.

That's what I got except was blower and hedge trimmer.

How do you like the blower and what did it replace?

Back
Top Bottom