Cordless Leaf Blowers

We had a heavy downpour this morning so I was able to test my leaf blower and see how effective it could be at blow drying our pickleball courts. When I got to the courts they were soaking wet with heavy puddles in a few areas. I was able to run the leaf blower on high for about 40 minutes before the battery ran out. It was just enough power to dry off two courts. There were still a few wet spots but within minutes the sun took care of them.

So I guess if I had a second 5.0Ah battery I could probably cover all four of our courts. I might wait and see if they have a sale on the batteries, or even a sale on the second blower unit. But overall I was very impressed with the power of my Ego blower.

Ideally it would be nice if I could find someone who has a bunch of other Ego tools but doesn’t have the blower yet. They probably have plenty of batteries and would be happy to pick up just the bare tool for quite a bit less than what it sells for at retail.

We had a heavy downpour this morning so I was able to test my leaf blower and see how effective it could be at blow drying our pickleball courts. When I got to the courts they were soaking wet with heavy puddles in a few areas. I was able to run the leaf blower on high for about 40 minutes before the battery ran out. It was just enough power to dry off two courts. There were still a few wet spots but within minutes the sun took care of them.

So I guess if I had a second 5.0Ah battery I could probably cover all four of our courts. I might wait and see if they have a sale on the batteries, or even a sale on the second blower unit. But overall I was very impressed with the power of my Ego blower.

Ideally it would be nice if I could find someone who has a bunch of other Ego tools but doesn’t have the blower yet. They probably have plenty of batteries and would be happy to pick up just the bare tool for quite a bit less than what it sells for at retail.

You must be strong with good muscle endurance if you spent 40 minutes straight holding onto that blower. I have the same blower and can't go more than about 15 minutes straight blowing leaves before my arm gives out.

You must be strong with good muscle endurance if you spent 40 minutes straight holding onto that blower. I have the same blower and can't go more than about 15 minutes straight blowing leaves before my arm gives out.

That’s funny. I was just noticing how much my arms were hurting. Yes, it is a little heavy but at least I didn’t try to use the 7.5Ah battery. That would really be a good workout.

Wouldn’t you have better results from the blower if you swept or squeegeed the puddles first?

I have an older EGO blower but would be interested in one of the newer ones (if the price was right). I have plenty of batteries on hand. Unfortunately, shipping costs would probably be prohibitive.

I've got the EGO blower with a 5AH battery and usually run about 40 minutes with it also. I just swap back and forth between my left and right hand. That's usually enough to let one arm rest while I use the other one.

This is part of the problem. Bigger batteries means more power AND more weight. Especially with hedge trimmer.

This is part of the problem. Bigger batteries means more power AND more weight. Especially with hedge trimmer.

EGO does sell a backpack accessory that allows you to carry the battery on your back instead of holding it up with your arm.

https://egopowerplus.com/backpack-link/

It would probably be handy with the larger and heavier 7.5AH battery, but so far I haven't found it necessary.

My Ego leaf blower died after 3 weeks of usage. The battery charges up but when I power it up nothing happens. After reading a bunch of online reviews it appears this model has a high failure rate. So I reluctantly returned it to Lowe’s.

I bought the Ryobi 18V 410 CFM 110mph blower from Home Depot for $169.00. It has far less power than the Ego but I thought I would give it a try since I already have two 18V Ryobi batteries. I like it but after having all of that power on the Ego blower it’s a bit of a let down.

I’m hesitant to buy another Ego model after reading about the high failure rate. I was looking at a brand new model from Greenworks:

https://www.greenworkstools.com/pro-60v-brushless-700-cfm-leaf-blower-

that is rated at 700 CFM and 170 MPH. It’s the same price as the Ego ($300) but nobody has it in stock and Home Depot is the only retailer even showing it for sale. There are no real reviews out there so I don’t know much about it beyond the specs. Every time I call Greenworks to ask a question I’m 38 in line their queue to answer my call. That doesn’t give me a lot of confidence in them.

I guess I’ll try the Ryobi out for a week or so and see if I can live with the reduced power load.

My Ego leaf blower died after 3 weeks of usage. The battery charges up but when I power it up nothing happens. After reading a bunch of online reviews it appears this model has a high failure rate. So I reluctantly returned it to Lowe’s.

I’m hesitant to buy another Ego model after reading about the high failure rate. I was looking at a brand new model from Greenworks:

I have the leaf blower, string trimmer, and mower. I have not had any issues with any of them. All products have some failures out of the box. I would recommend giving Ego another try. My experience is that it is a great product with the best power. I just wish they had a leaf mulcher/bagger.

I have an EGo 480 cfm blower, and it’s the best blower I’ve ever owned - after decades of cheap corded and electric blowers. I have a small lawn so I don’t need any of the more powerful models. I have the 5.0Ah battery because I also use it for my multi-tool string trimmer, edger and hedge trimmer - all awesome!

that was the first ego piece I bought 7 years ago - after I bought that I got the trimmer which, after you put real line in it, is a beast

I have the leaf blower, string trimmer, and mower. I have not had any issues with any of them. All products have some failures out of the box. I would recommend giving Ego another try. My experience is that it is a great product with the best power. I just wish they had a leaf mulcher/bagger.

I normally wouldn’t give up after one failure but there are so many reviews with people who are experiencing the same issue - it works great for a few days to a few weeks then just stops working completely. I think the failure seems to be specific to this one model as I don’t recall seeing too many complaints about the older models. I read one review stating that the cause of failure is a blown fuse which is not user replaceable. I’m not sure if that’s true but if it is that seems like a significant design flaw.

I have the older EGO blower, string trimmer, chainsaw, and self-propelled lawnmower. All work great and I have not had an issue with any of them. I also have about five batteries of varying sizes. One of them seems like it overheats and shuts off occasionally, but it doesn't happen regularly enough that I've been able to isolate the battery. Most of the time they all work fine.

Did you try contacting EGO? They're usually quite good about getting back to you and if there's a design flaw they will probably try to make it good with you. I heard they provided a repair kit to users for their snow blower that had a faulty design with the chute.

I've been very happy with EGO tools and now that I have adopted their battery system I'm essentially locked into their line of tools. I don't want a bunch of different battery brands and chargers.

After seeing these positive ego comments, I just ordered one. I’ll use it most of the time, but I’ll keep my Stihl gas powered blower for a backup.

The 5300 530cfm with battery, charger, and nozzle. Can’t wait to get it.

That’s a nice blower. Let me know how you like it. My only hesitation that prevented me from ordering that one is I don’t own any other Ego products so the battery that comes with it would be my only battery and they package that unit with a 2.5Ah battery rather than the 5.0Ah batter in the LB5304 unit.

I was curious about EGO? Who are they?

I started looking into what country products are designed and built in.

EGO Power was a little hard to figure out. From their web site:

Where is EGO?

EGO is part of a global manufacturing business established in 1993, employing over 7,000 people and producing over 10 million units each year, which are sold in over 30,000 outlets in 65 countries worldwide. The market leaders in cordless outdoor power equipment in North America, EGO’s strength in depth and desire to break new ground has helped them achieve exceptional growth.

OK, but where are they headquartered?

Nanjing, China, but they obfuscate that pretty well.

I *think* you are confusing Chervon and Chevron...

Ha! I guess it’s time to invest in that pair of reading glasses. It did seem like an odd fit. Looks like they own a few other brands including Skil power tools.

I tried calling Ego when my blower died but never did reach a live rep. They offered to call me back if I left my phone number but they never did call me back. From what I’ve read Greenworks is having the same problem. Maybe it’s COVID related, but I would not want to have to file a warranty claim on these blowers based on the lack of responsiveness I’ve experienced so far.

Back
Top Bottom