Corona Virus testing cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I may need to get tested for the corona virus to satisfy a requirement to help out an older person in their house. I doubt if insurance will cover the cost since it is required more to assure others than because I have any symptoms or known exposure to a person who is infectious .

I called my doctor's office and they only test people who have already seen their doctor and have symptoms of the disease.

I then talked to a local walk-in clinic that is asking first for a tele-visit with one of their people that costs $99. Then they will inform me if I can be tested and which clinic to go to and get the test. Of course, the actual test cost is in addition to the $99.

Does this sound normal? If I need the test, I need it regardless of whether or not there $99 person thinks I should get it or not. What did you have to go through to get the test simply to assure yourself or others than you probably don't have CV. What was the cost?

Chuckanut, check with your insurance. I thought many plans pay for the test without requiring you to have a reason. I think Medicare also pays for the test.

In my State (NV) I signed up online through the health district in my county. The cost was zero. No insurance questions were asked. This was the viral test. Not an antibody test.

Chuckanut, check with your insurance. I thought many plans pay for the test without requiring you to have a reason. I think Medicare also pays for the test.

+1. Federal Blue Cross/Blue Shield pays for all diagnostic testing related to COVID-19, I believe - whether you are symptomatic or not. I'd check with your insurance, they may have the same coverage.

I would try phoning health dept, etc. Not sure I'd want to pay just to help someone else.

Who is setting the requirement for testing.

Are you only helping out one time.
In truth, you would need to be tested every time prior to helping out this old person as you could catch it from anybody, even your spouse, or the actual tester person. You could catch it as you walk out of the testing site (since it should have more infected people than other places).

Is the older person going to be tested, as that is what is done at the hospital, they test the person coming in for help. After all the person getting the help might have it. Since we cannot tell from looking at a person.

Where do you live? In WA State, the insurance commissioner has ordered that all testing be covered by insurance with no copays or deductibles. There are also drive through testing sites in King County that will test you even without symptoms, billing insurance if you have it but free if you don't. You register through an online portal and don't need to talk to a human. http://www.seattle.gov/mayor/covid-19/covid-19-testing

I had some mild symptoms this week and was able to be tested the same day. The symptoms were not enough for me to worry about per se, but my husband is high risk and I felt like I needed to isolate from him just in case. I probably don't have it, results aren't back yet, but it was good to know how simple it was to get tested, at least at this time. And it wasn't nearly as painful as I had heard.

Last edited:
Like all things health care related, the answer is not straightforward and not knowing can cost you. From KFF https://www.kff.org/health-costs/issue-brief/covid-19-test-prices-and-payment-policy/
Federal law now requires private insurers, Medicare and Medicaid to cover COVID-19 tests without any cost to the patient and provides funding to support free testing for some people without health insurance, though it does not guarantee access to no-cost tests for the uninsured. Those laws ensure that most people will not have to pay out of pocket for COVID tests, though limits to the federal requirements mean that some people with and without health insurance could receive bills for COVID-19 tests. The analysis describes some of those situations.
CVS is offering free testing in some areas, so check with them. I have read news reports of balance billing up to $2K, so don’t test until you’re certain insurance will cover or you know the price beforehand.

Kaiser analysis here https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/brief/covid-19-test-prices-and-payment-policy/

Does your county operate any drive-thru sites? mine has a few, and most require an appointment, but symptoms are not needed.

Since these are state/county run, I do not believe there is any charge.

My sister has had good luck with getting tested every 2 weeks through the county health department. Different state, but I would definitely try the county health department. (She has elderly people she visits/helps so is trying to be proactive in addition to her extra PPE and other mitigations when visiting them.)

Do you have the slightest sore throat or cough? Might mention that when talking to them about getting tested.

Just to follow up, I got my results this morning, thankfully negative. 36 hour turnaround time is pretty impressive. The University of Washington Virology Lab is processing 6,000 + tests per day.

Just to follow up, I got my results this morning, thankfully negative. 36 hour turnaround time is pretty impressive. The University of Washington Virology Lab is processing 6,000 + tests per day.

Did Insurance cover the cost? Could you give us an idea how much the cost was?

There is no cost, by order of our state insurance commissioner: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/1600/coronavirus/COVID-19testing1-pager.pdf

From the city’s website: “If you have insurance, Medicare or Medicaid you must provide this information and UW Medicine will bill them. You will not be charged for the test and will not receive a bill. You do not need to have insurance or a doctor's note to schedule a test.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom