Coronavirus - Health and preparedness aspects - II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A study I would like to see: Randomly test 1,000 people on the streets of, say, Seattle and see how many test positive for the virus.

It's not going to happen, and it's a crude test, but it would give people crucial information for making decisions.

A study I would like to see: Randomly test 1,000 people on the streets of, say, Seattle and see how many test positive for the virus.

It's not going to happen, and it's a crude test, but it would give people crucial information for making decisions.

Though it won't happen, I like the idea :). Could offer the ones tested a cash incentive. But then, the incentive may make the data flawed and not totally random.

I inherited a townhouse in a San Jose retirement community (age 55 and up) a number of years ago that is now rented. The community is made up of condos, townhouses, and a few single family homes. There is a golf course, a clubhouse with a restaurant, and a couple of pools. It's gated with uniformed security.

My tenant just e-mailed me that 17 residents of the retirement community are on the cruise ship that is going to dock in Oakland. Many of the residents of this community are over 70. Uh-oh...

Are we learning anything yet?

Regal Princess cruise ship passengers back on land after coronavirus delay

Passengers onboard the Regal Princess cruise ship are back on land after being forced to sail off the coast of Florida for most the day as two crew members were tested for Coronavirus. Their results came back negative.

The ship was supposed to dock at Port Everglades at 6:45 a.m. Sunday but instead docked around 10:30 p.m.

The two crew members who were tested had previously worked on the The Grand Princess cruise ship in California. That’s where nearly 21 people on board tested positive for the virus, including 19 crew members.

Bolding mine. No need to speculate on why it might soon turn out to have been a bad idea to just let all those folks loose in Florida last night. As if the saga with the Diamond Princess, Westerdam, etc...Sigh.

Are we learning anything yet?

Regal Princess cruise ship passengers back on land after coronavirus delay

Bolding mine. No need to speculate on why it might soon turn out to have been a bad idea to just let all those folks loose in Florida last night. As if the saga with the Diamond Princess, Westerdam, etc...Sigh.
If it had been over 2 weeks since they were on the Grand Princess, and they are negative now, probably OK. We are still only enforcing 14 day quarantines to determine whether someone is free of the virus. No difference here.

That's a wonderful site with a great interface, but today, for the first time, it's reporting "No Data" for many of the stats. Maybe it's a temporary glitch, but I expect that at some point, it will only be able display estimated numbers.
Right now, I'm seeing numbers for all the columns, and the map is properly filled out. Are you still seeing it blank, Al? Maybe there was an update like USGrant1962 said, but now it's a browser cache issue, so try another browser or clear your cache?

There is no accurate number, up until a few days ago anyone in the USA with mild symptoms (no fever) weren't even allowed to get tested for the coronavirus.

That may still be the case in many states. Ohio just got test kits. They're limiting testing to those considered the most high risk: the elderly, those with compromised immune systems/pre-existing conditions, health care workers, first responders, and people hospitalized with severe respiratory symptoms. A doctor's order is required. All others [-]go to the back of the line[/-] don't even get in line.

Right now, I'm seeing numbers for all the columns, and the map is properly filled out. Are you still seeing it blank, Al? Maybe there was an update like USGrant1962 said, but now it's a browser cache issue, so try another browser or clear your cache?
No, mine has recovered as well.

From an NBC News analysis of 150+ Covid-19 deaths:

NBC News analyzed media and official reports on more than 150 [167] coronavirus deaths. Here is what we found:

- 128 were 65 years or older, eight were under 35
- 104 were men, 63 were women
- Health data was available for 116 cases. Of those, 114 had underlying health conditions

The article says that overall health appears to matter more than age or gender.

Last edited:
DW and I attend daily art, cultural, pilates classes in a local community college.

We just received an email from college president. Few students attended an event few days ago along with 20,000 attendees. Three cases have been tested and confirmed with coronavirus among the attendees. Not sure if our students are among them.

We decided not to continue the classes for now. We will walk in a local trail instead where there are not a lot of other people around.

- 128 of were 65 years or older, eight were under 35
- 104 were men, 63 were women
- Health data was available for 116 cases. Of those, 114 had underlying health conditions

The article says that overall health appears to matter more than age or gender.
Would not surprise me at all. There is a substantial correlation between age and underlying health conditions. So it's really hard to tell how much of the risk is solely attributable to age.

So it's really hard to tell how much of the risk is solely attributable to age.

DW, who barely left my side during last year's sepsis episode, is convinced I wouldn't have made it if I hadn't been in relatively good shape.

(Now I have to wonder why she keeps bringing me donuts and chocolate and telling me to lay down and take it easy. :eek: )

DW, who barely left my side during last year's sepsis episode, is convinced I wouldn't have made it if I hadn't been in relatively good shape.

I believe it. My uncle came down with something really nasty a couple years ago. He was 81 and in really good health at the time. It was touch and go for a few days, but he pulled through. His doctors said that would have killed almost everyone his age, except for the fact that he was in excellent physical condition. He is fully recovered and still going strong, almost 83 now.

His doctors said that would have killed almost everyone his age, except for the fact that he was in excellent physical condition. He is fully recovered and still going strong, almost 83 now.

Good for him!

I was 76 at the time, and climbing 2,000+ stairs a day. Right now I'm doing high incline & resistance on the basement elliptical daily....(scheduled to be 78 this Fall).......I know I'm in the vulnerable category for COVID-19 and I'm trying to avoid catching it, but you have to at least attempt to make your own 'luck'.

Though it won't happen, I like the idea :). Could offer the ones tested a cash incentive. But then, the incentive may make the data flawed and not totally random.
Speaking of cash, can the virus survive on bills:confused: Good thing I don't use cash.

Will be visiting my seventy-six-year-old sister next week. She has Parkinson's which puts her at somewhat higher risk of infection.

There's only one case of CV near me and two near her, so I guess we'll still hug when we get together, but it's something I think about. If I lived in Seattle, I'd think more about it.

Imagine getting together with loved ones and just waving.

It's important for planning to estimate where this thing is heading.

Here's my extrapolation from March 1 that predicted 1 billion infected outside China by June.

XBoI5oL.png

The orange diamond shows where we were yesterday (based on the Johns Hopkins data).

Last edited:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6909e1.htm?s_cid=mm6909e1_w

CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report

From the report:

“As of February 26, 12 travel-related COVID-19 cases had been diagnosed in the United States, in addition to three COVID-19 cases in patients with no travel history (including two cases in close household contacts) and 46 cases reported among repatriated U.S. citizens.§ Following confirmed diagnosis, the 12 patients with travel-related COVID-19 were isolated in the hospital if medically necessary, or at home once home care was deemed clinically sufficient.

Among the first 10 patients with travel-related confirmed COVID-19 reported in the United States, a total of 445 persons (range = 1–201 persons per case) who had close contact with one of the 10 patients on or after the date of the patient’s symptom onset were identified. Nineteen (4%) of the 445 contacts were members of a patient’s household, and five of these 19 contacts continued to have household exposure to the patient with confirmed COVID-19 during the patient’s isolation period; 104 (23%) were community members who spent at least 10 minutes within 6 feet of a patient with confirmed disease; 100 (22%) were community members who were exposed** to a patient in a health care setting; and 222 (50%) were health care personnel.”

The report follows the testing of those 445 contacts. It’s an interesting read.

No one cares more about your [-]money[/-] health than you do. :)

There are a few news reports of people who have deliberately defied orders to self-quarantine, even after being told there is a confirmed case in their household. :mad:

Don't assume that others will do the right thing to protect you. Keep aware and protect yourself accordingly.

Speaking of cash, can the virus survive on bills:confused: Good thing I don't use cash.

I have read that it can. I don't use cash either and most places let you swipe your credit card. Ah, but you still might have to grab the stylus/use your finger to sign or get through those customer service survey screens. "Were you greeted today?"

There is some growing awareness of the difficulties in automatically putting large numbers of first responders into an automatic quarantine because they might have been exposed to a coronavirus case. A good article with much food for thought:

Surging Health Care Worker Quarantines Raise Concerns As Coronavirus Spreads

As the U.S. battles to limit the spread of the highly contagious new coronavirus, the number of health care workers ordered to self-quarantine because of potential exposure to an infected patient is rising at an exponential pace. In Vacaville, California, alone, one case — the first documented instance of community transmission in the U.S. — left more than 200 hospital workers under quarantine and unable to work for weeks.

Across California, dozens more health care workers have been ordered home because of possible contagion in response to more than 80 confirmed cases as of Sunday afternoon. In Kirkland, Washington, more than a quarter of the city’s fire department was quarantined after exposure to a handful of infected patients at the Life Care Center nursing home.

Dr. Jennifer Nuzzo, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, is among those arguing hospitals need to change course.

“It’s just not sustainable to think that every time a health care worker is exposed they have to be quarantined for 14 days. We’d run out of health care workers,” Nuzzo said. Anyone showing signs of infection should stay home, she added, but providers who may have been exposed but are not symptomatic should not necessarily be excluded from work.

Eventually, as a disease becomes widespread, quarantine simply stops being a priority, said Nina Fefferman, a mathematician and epidemiologist at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville.

“There’s a point where we stop trying to quarantine anyone and we just say, OK, we’re going to have more deaths from the fire department not being able to fight fire than from everyone getting the disease.”

Got gas today and used a nitrile glove to operate the keypad and handle the pump. Everything about that process is so grubby. Even without virus, it smells, etc.

Johns Hopkins and Worldometer charts numbers don't always match right now. It's a scramble for them to keep up, I'd guess. They're both doing an admirable job, IMO.

If you go to the Worldometer site here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

and scroll to the country list, you can click on specific countries to see the progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom