Costco? What makes it awesome for you?

I think Texas Costco's liquor departments (where membership is not required) are stand-alone next to the main store? Ours in Illinois are deep within the main store and Illinois is one of the 36 states that requires a membership to buy alcohol.
Yes, but the Costco store itself carries wine, beer and cider. These also count as "alcohol". So you can go into the store for these.

We only go to the separate liquor store if we need brandy or tequila.

http://groupthink.kinja.com/you-can-buy-alcohol-at-costco-without-a-membership-1533760140

Last edited:
Thanks. It's OK. If/when I need hearing aids, I'll just join for a year. They'll probably still be quite a bit cheaper. :)
You can cancel after you get your glasses / hearing aids and get a refund.

Regarding the hearing aids: while they are much cheaper than elsewhere - like half - the adjustments can only be done by Costco. The aids are "locked" to Costco. Those adjustments are free, but if you think Costco may go under to an Amazon attack that may be worth considering. Ask when you go in for the hearing test, don't take my word for it.

Nothing makes it "awesome" for me. It's just another store, albeit one that offers good quality products at typically decent prices (although it still pays to comparison shop).

I think it's worth the membership fee, but YMMV.

We retain our Costco membership even though we don't live very close to any stores any more (but do occasionally make the drive if we are nearby for other reasons). We do order from Costco online frequently, though.

Overall, pretty happy. Recently, though, I tried to place an order online and it simply didn't work. I contacted their online customer service, who suggested various forms of clearing cookies, closing browsers, etc. Three different browsers, nothing worked.

Today I was back trying to order something different. Ran into the same problem. Finally discovered by looking at my account that they wanted me to "verify" the account. Never had this happen, and they 1) never sent an email to the address on file telling me this, and 2) did not tell me either time as I was trying to place an order. Very frustrating. The verification process didn't take long, but it did involve answering intrusive questions similar to those asked when ordering a credit report.

About a week before Amazon announced its deal to buy Whole Foods, I was thinking how much sense it would make for Amazon to buy Costco. If Costco doesn't get their online act together, I fear for their long-term success.

I haven't had any trouble ordering online from Costco. But I do remember going through email verification the first time I ordered.

Costco opened a new store in San Jose today. Something like 6 gas islands so up to 24 vehicles at a time can fuel up. I decided to take a chance on sneaking in for gas. Only one person in line in front of me. At 11 AM the store lot was full and people were driving in circles looking for parking spaces. Police and private security both on duty. I found a space and took the sample tour. Not much worth buying. They did have prime beef samples, but the line was too long.

San Jose is building a huge amount of high density housing, both apartments and condos, on the premise that this housing is located "near" the light rail (to nowhere). The area where this Costco is located had been a retail desert until the high density building started. I guess that's the one positive for the neighbors that have to put up with the traffic congestion from all the housing. Next up on the neighborhood retail front: An In-N-Out Burger.

Bring this thread back up because I'm going to use the chicken recipe from @audreyh1 today. I got a small chicken yesterday on sale, plus I'm not going to be able to use my regular recipe.

Then I spatchcock (butterfly) the chicken and roast it in the oven using a large cast iron skillet. This is so easy and comes out some much better than ANY of the store roasted chickens. Chicken, salt, pepper, olive oil, teaspoon chopped rosemary, teaspoon minced garlic. https://www.americastestkitchen.com...-butterflied-chicken-with-rosemary-and-garlic

The recipe is blurred out for non members.

Could you tell us how long do you cook the chicken for and at what temperature?

Going to the Islands in the AM, DW and I got our membership yesterday, on the advice of many on this thread. Thanks to all.

I wanted to go to Costco in Maui last week but I was overruled. My kids didn't like to drive there. They did all the driving, booking, checking in for airline as well as cleaning the condo's fridge. I was just happy being the Credit card.

I pulled the trigger and joined Costco yesterday. The main lure was a very good deal on a Disney trip we're doing next year. Also I found that a new Costco went up in another nearby town (an hour away), as well as the town my son is in (just over an hour). We went to the latter one yesterday to sign up, and the membership rep was nice enough to let my son get a card even though he's not at the same address. Nice first experience.
We meandered through the whole store to check it all out. Some good prices, but others no better than Amazon or WalMart.

We were excited to check out the legendary salmon, but the price wasn't any better than the local Kroger tends to have, and you have to buy a ~2 lb package, more than we needed. We tried it anyway as that's what we both had our mind set on for dinner, and it was fine, but nothing special.
Am I missing something here?

I really prefer shopping at home from my laptop where I can easily read reviews and specs, and compare prices. Too cumbersome to do on my phone very well in a store. No big crowds or heavy traffic, but the parking lot layout is terrible and I'll bet it's a mess on weekends. But I guess I can shop online at Costco too, right?

I can tell already this will likely be a 1 year and done membership for me, but the trip alone makes it worthwhile this year. I got the executive membership to get the 2% back, which is mostly covered with the trip.

Definitely avoid weekends, RunningBum!

I love being able to buy Kleenex, TP, etc., only a few times a year (we have a large closet with shelves in the garage to store it all). Price on Kleenex is significantly lower than our grocery store, especially when they have a $3 off "coupon" in effect (every few months). I like the rack of lamb - much cheaper than the grocery store. I agree that the salmon isn't really a great deal, but other fish can be (ahi tuna in particular). Printer ink cartridges are also a good deal, as are fresh flowers and contact lens solution. The trick of course is not to get lured into buying stuff you don't need/won't use!

You're probably right MB, I'll get the hang of paying attention to items I can bulk up on when they do the coupon deals. The other problem I just realized I have about shopping in stores is that I forget what I have at home. 9V batteries looked like a good deal and I was thinking it was time to replace them in the smoke detectors, but when I put them away I see that I had already stocked up. Oh well, I'm set for at least a couple years now.

Don't go to costco on weekends... or in the few weeks before Christmas... you think the parking lot layout is a mess now... try it when you've got a bunch of "amateurs" messing up the flow. LOL.

I have teenagers - so we get our moneys worth with the large servings... that said - there are plenty of things sold in smaller servings. And things you can freeze part of. One of my favorites is the 4 pack of pork roasts at $1.99/lb. Freeze 3, use the 4th for dinner.

Like you I prefer shopping from the comfort of my living room... but groceries I want to buy in person...

We were there earlier this week. Highpoints for us:

Meats: picked up a big leg of lamb. Grilled it all one night. After the three of us ate our fill - so good! - the second half of it went into a wonderful lamb curry my DW makes from scratch. That still gets my DS's attention: "that was really really good mom" Also picked up a prime brisket to put on the smoker next week.

Fish: we always stock up on frozen salmon, shrimp, and lately the fresh cod has been very good.

Wine: DW has decided their Kirkwood wine is worth drinking (certainly for the price). They have a good selection of other wines too at a good price. Buy a case and get a decent discount.

Misc: I love their large containers of nuts, bacon bits, preboiled eggs, tub of coconut oil, and we get the Kirkland K-Cups - Pacific Bold, 120 count makes Kurig affordable ;-)

Oh yeah, we went on Tuesday mid-afternoon. Wasn't busy at all.

Last week, we got a 2 pack of twin sheet sets for 14.99 (may have been 15.99) for my niece. I thought I was reading the package wrong but it was 2 sets (2 pillow case, 2 fitted, 2 flat). The salmon has gone up over the past year, think it's 9.99 now. Don't know what it costs at other places because it's always been good and I'm there so why go someplace else. I'm headed there tomorrow to pick up some kind of joint juice that's on sale for my neighbor and see if there are any life vests left.

I learned Costco sells coffins, just in case you ever need one.

Some of the best deals I have gotten on rental cars have been through Costco.
I used to buy my contact lenses there, but now I can get them cheaper on line.

Some stuff is not a good deal at Costco (I have a membership):

At Costco near me: $24.99

shake.jpg

At Sam's Club a mile away: $16.66

shake.jpg

Our staples are

Kirkland toilet paper
Kirkland paper towels
Kirkland tall kitchen garbage bags
Kirkland laundry detergent
Kirkland green olives
Terra Delyssa olive oil
Big bags of individually wrapped 70% Swiss chocolates
I used to get Trident salmon patties but they don't carry that brand or any other brand where I am at in Canada.

We have two Costco's within 15 minute drives. We pay with our Costco MC and get points. I don't think I would keep my membership if the store was a 1 hour drive away.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I'm so glad this topic showed up again. We just had an outstanding Costco experience!

My son and DIL gave me a Costco gift membership for my birthday in Feb. We didn't upgrade to the Executive membership. Our Costco just opened last summer and I didn't want to get too deep into all this without knowing what was offered in the store and how often we would shop.

We made a few trips, stocked up on meat and fish, LOVED the sampling and of course the rotisserie chicken! Every time I went, I'd try to explore a new area. Bought a TV, bought some very good towels.

In May we saw that Costco sells Sunsetter Awnings through their site. We had a Sunsetter awning since 1991. It was an original manual type, still holding up very well and operating just fine. But it involved some lifting to open it. We were 36 years old when we bought it and we are now 62. The last few years the lifting has become an issue. We would open and close it together if we were both home. I could do it all myself if needed but it was just about at the edge of what I was comfortable doing. And as far as I can tell we are not expecting to get younger.....

Buying the new REMOTE OPERATED, MOTORIZED (no lifting) awning through Costco was a very good deal. The Costco price was a few hundred less than buying through Sunsetter even with a previous owners discount we were offered. Also Costco's price included the add-on wind sensor and a winter cover.

We were ready to order this through Coscto in late May. I was in Costco for something else and at the checkout they reminded me that I could benefit from the Executive upgrade and that they could offer me a prorated cost of $40 instead of the full year at $60. Well, we were just about to order a $2000+ awning and the Executive member 2% rebate would be at least $40, so YES, I paid for the Executive member upgrade.

Then we got the monthly Costco ad in the mail and Costco had 10% off for the month of June! So we waited a few weeks and ordered in June, saving $221!

The awning was delivered, we installed it and LOVE IT! Very happy with the entire experience.

When the August Costco savings ad came in the mail, there was another discount offer on the awning we had just purchased. In June it was 10% off, now for August it's 15% off! We were not angry at all, we got a great item at a very good price and were enjoying it all summer.

But I was curious about Costco's price matching. Online the policy was clear, price matches are honored within 30 days of purchase. Aww, so close! I figured it can't hurt to call and ask, so I did and while the response was that it's outside their policy, the man I talked to said he would refer it to their resolution department and get back to me.

The next day I got a call back and yes, they would honor the new 15% offer and refund me the difference! WOW, that's another $110.50 off of our cost.

And this week the refund ($110.50 plus sales tax) was applied to the credit card used for the original purchase in June. We are very happy to be Costco members.

I'm so glad this topic showed up again. We just had an outstanding Costco experience!

My son and DIL gave me a Costco gift membership for my birthday in Feb.

Executive upgrade and that they could offer me a prorated cost of $40 instead of the full year at $60. Well, we were just about to order a $2000+ awning and the Executive member 2% rebate would be at least $40, so YES, I paid for the Executive member upgrade.

Then we got the monthly Costco ad in the mail and Costco had 10% off for the month of June! So we waited a few weeks and ordered in June, saving $221!

The next day I got a call back and yes, they would honor the new 15% offer and refund me the difference! WOW, that's another $110.50 off of our cost.

And this week the refund ($110.50 plus sales tax) was applied to the credit card used for the original purchase in June. We are very happy to be Costco members.

At this rate, in another month or two, Costco will pay you for having the awning installed. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom