Costco? What makes it awesome for you?

I only went twice. Just walked in! I don't dislike it, I'm just looking for a couple of things to grab me so I'd be interested in shopping. I have a few definite maybe's, and I might just go for it. It's very close to my home and since I'm ER'd going and walking around for 20 mins isn't a big loss for me lol.

I can see it would be great for families or if I wasn't carb-averse, or for when we want a new TV.

I guess I wanted to like it more than I actually did.

Really! I had no idea--we rarely buy it anyway (we have it on hand but DH doesn't drink at all and my palate runs to concoctions with umbrellas in them), but good to know.

Yes, alcohol (including beer and wine), eyeglasses, and prescription drugs are things you can buy from Costco without a membership.

I only went twice. Just walked in! I don't dislike it, I'm just looking for a couple of things to grab me so I'd be interested in shopping. I have a few definite maybe's, and I might just go for it. It's very close to my home and since I'm ER'd going and walking around for 20 mins isn't a big loss for me lol.

I can see it would be great for families or if I wasn't carb-averse, or for when we want a new TV.

I guess I wanted to like it more than I actually did.

FWIW we don't buy carbs at Costco. Mostly fresh produce, meat/seafood/dairy, nuts and oils. Oh, and wine, of course. :)

I guess that's it then, you don't see any benefit in joining. One less person in line at one of the crowded Costco's.:dance:
Two less - - I'm not joining either. I just don't like Costco and it's a free country, as they say, so I choose not to join. I can afford to shop elsewhere so I'm perfectly happy staying away from there, and you have one less person in line. :D

I guess the only thing that could get me to join would be if I needed hearing aids, because from all the reports they do a fabulous job in providing affordable, good hearing aids. But I don't need them so far.

We all pay to shop! But, it must be nice to have your friends pay for your shopping :cool:

The member was my boss. Managers at my old Co got a Co paid membership. I haven't been to Costco since I retired.

Costco definitely adds to our quality of life. We can upgrade to organic products for the same prices as conventional products at other stores. We also like that they treat their employees well, pay living wages and provide good health insurance for them. There are employees at our local store who have been there 25+ years and I think that is due to how well they are treated.

We are a household of 2, vegetarian, and do not drink alcohol. We still find lots of things we need there. We regularly buy gas, nuts, some spices, OTC meds, vitamins, cat litter, frozen food items (when we find vegetarian ones), flatbread, fruits, some vegetables, canned tomatoes, bagged salads, toiletries, laundry and dishwashing detergent. We always look at the clothes and often find great deals. I got 2 lightweight jackets earlier this year that I am delighted with. I got my recent passport pictures there. Over the years we have bought appliances, jewelry, TVs, furniture, linens, cat trees, car batteries, tires, laminate flooring, faucets, light fixtures, and I could go on and on. I'm hoping they get my favorite women's wool socks back in this fall. We have time to walk around and see what is new and try a sample if we are interested. The lines are rarely that long and we have a favorite cashier and we will wait in her line anyway. The only time I avoid is the day before they are closed for a holiday.

It's always fun to stumble on the occasional 'ringer' item, such as the $2500 bottle of Cognac in the Seattle store. Won't find that at Safeway!

Also the $1.99 hotdog/drink deal.

My point is all businesses turn a profit. (well they are suppose to) Costco, Sam's and other 'clubs' have a model to make a profit. You either pay it in a membership fee, or in the price or merchandise. If one would not shop enough at the clubs to make up the difference in the fee, or not find the quality of their stuff, or the policies of their store appealing, then it is simple, don't shop there. DW and I like both Sams and Costco. I trust what they sell, I use the quantity sold, and their return policy is hard to beat. We are also realest. We know we could find stuff cheaper somewhere else, but that takes time and money. As I grow older Time becomes more valuable than money!

Yeah, I can get what I need in 15 minutes at the grocery.

Costco would take 15 minutes driving around the parking lot to find a space.

Yeah, I can get what I need in 15 minutes at the grocery.

Costco would take 15 minutes driving around the parking lot to find a space.
So true. Also I can get a lot of stuff in 1 minute on Amazon. OK, maybe not perishable grocery items (yet, in my location), but all that other stuff.

6978-albums171-picture1165.gif

I guess the only thing that could get me to join would be if I needed hearing aids, because from all the reports they do a fabulous job in providing affordable, good hearing aids. But I don't need them so far.

I didn't either, until I took the audio exam. But I have not bought them yet (still paying for dental work).

Now if I could get DW to take the audio exam, I could then have factual evidence that she is hard of hearing too (sh'e not agreeing).

I suspect that since membership is not required for prescription drugs and eyeglasses, it's not required for hearing aids either

When our Megacorp office was a few blocks from a Costco, once or twice a week a group of us would walk there for lunch. It was, as we called it, a "price performer".

Once we had a group of folks from out of town working with us on a project. The first day for lunch we talked about going to various places, and one of my co-workers jokingly said "or we could walk down to Costco and grab something". The group actually chose that option. Turns on they were on a per diem for meals, and anything that was left over from the per diem amount was theirs to keep. Costco became a popular lunch choice that week. :LOL:

I didn't either, until I took the audio exam. But I have not bought them yet (still paying for dental work).

Now if I could get DW to take the audio exam, I could then have factual evidence that she is hard of hearing too (sh'e not agreeing).

Took the exam three years ago and then again yesterday. They had the old exam results in archives and my hearing is very similar except for about a 15dB drop in upper and lower ranges - from about 2k to 8k Hz it drops off into the 60-90dB range. I can hear, but the tv gets cranked up and I miss the sound of crickets, squeaks, high pitched rustling, S's and F's. The gal, according to my ears, says some really strange things. Ordered a set of the ReSound CALA 8s. We'll see... initially on the test set everything including my voice sounded like it was delivered over a paper-wrapped comb. Adjustment helped a bunch. Next Saturday I get my own set.

They had a customer not show, so offered to test the gal - who aced her test. damn over-achiever.

I suspect that since membership is not required for prescription drugs and eyeglasses, it's not required for hearing aids either

That would be really nice, if it is the case! I'll be sure to ask if/when the time comes, before buying a membership. Thanks.

Is the hearing exam free? I know I have some hearing loss lately.

Yes, may take a week or two to get a time slot for the exam. They program a loaner set so you can wander around for 10-15 minutes to see what it is like wearing them.

DH had to get a membership to get tested for hearing aids- this was maybe 3 years ago in KS and it may vary by state. OK with me- that's what drew us into Costco in the first place (thanks to recommendations on this Board). I'd thought a membership wouldn't be worth it because so many things were sold in mass quantities and realized that it still made sense for us.

Yes, alcohol (including beer and wine), eyeglasses, and prescription drugs are things you can buy from Costco without a membership.

Eye exams do not require a membership but eyeglasses and contact lenses do, at least here. I believe hearing aids work the same way--nonmembers can get exams but cannot buy the product.

(ETA: a fairly recent article re Costco shopping and membership: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9399312 Author says 14 states allow alcohol sales without a membership--not sure if mine does)

Last edited:
I think whether you need a membership for alcohol/glasses/hearing aids varies by state law. E.g., if wine is sold inside the membership area - because a state allows it - you need a membership. If state doesn't allow it with food, then it's a separate adjoining store outside membership area.

Single immigrant ancestors are the hardest to trace - for whites. All of a sudden they turn up married (maybe) to another one and you have no idea where they came from other than France/Germany/etc. and no idea if the English-speaking, half-educated Census worker spelled their surname right or not (Spellings change from Census to Census.). They got paid for counting, not accuracy. On death certificates, parents' names are left blank because even their children reporting their ancestry didn't know. But slaves' ancestry has to be even more difficult.

That would be really nice, if it is the case! I'll be sure to ask if/when the time comes, before buying a membership. Thanks.

Eye exams do not require a membership but eyeglasses and contact lenses do, at least here. I believe hearing aids work the same way--nonmembers can get exams but cannot buy the product.

(ETA: a fairly recent article re Costco shopping and membership: 10 Ways Non-Members Can Shop at Costco | HuffPost Author says 14 states allow alcohol sales without a membership--not sure if mine does)

Sorry, I was wrong about buying glasses or hearing aids without membership.
https://www.rather-be-shopping.com/blog/2015/06/29/things-you-can-do-at-costco-without-a-membership/

Last edited:
I think whether you need a membership for alcohol/glasses/hearing aids varies by state law. E.g., if wine is sold inside the membership area - because a state allows it - you need a membership. If state doesn't allow it with food, then it's a separate adjoining store outside membership area.

I think Texas Costco's liquor departments (where membership is not required) are stand-alone next to the main store? Ours in Illinois are deep within the main store and Illinois is one of the 36 states that requires a membership to buy alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom