Could I live in a resort?

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
DW and I have always lived in or near urban areas in decent if not luxurious neighborhoods. The resort lifestyle down here was never something we were attracted to, though we know several people who live that life.

Today the DW enticed me to come with her to get some photos of a new listing she acquired. It was a lot in a newer golf-oriented community near Brooksville which is a very unFlorida-like area 40 mile north of us. Hilly, lots of trees, real views, a very nice golf course (Pete Dye). The houses were diverse, attractive, and ranged from the 300s on up. It was green, quiet and very friendly. The "club" had restaurants, fitness, a pool, softball leagues, and all that. People were socializing freely and seemed very content.

Normally, I would not be attracted much by that lifestyle, but I must admit it looked nice. Just daydreaming, but it did remind me that the city amenities we always and still enjoy come at a price.

Glen Lakes Realty

My sister just built a home in this community .The community is lovely but that area is a little remote for my tastes .I've lived in a community like that and enjoyed it a lot except for the dreaded homeowner's association .We had one guy I used to call the plant nazi .He would check people's landscape to make sure we were planting approved plants .

DW and I came close to trying to buy in HI a few years ago...thinking we liked the resort lifestyle. Since then we have vacationed there 6 or 7 times, and have since come to the conclusion that we could not enjoy the resort lifestyle....there would be nothing to look forward to when we went on vacation...

R

DW and I came close to trying to buy in HI a few years ago...thinking we liked the resort lifestyle. Since then we have vacationed there 6 or 7 times, and have since come to the conclusion that we could not enjoy the resort lifestyle....there would be nothing to look forward to when we went on vacation...

R
When we go to PV every year, we have a fabulous oceanfront villa in a 22 acre former coconut plantation in the Hotel Zone yet close to shopping and downtown. When we were working, it was perfect for getting away from it all.

Now that we are retired, we are already away from it all. So we just bought a permanent place in Alta Vista, overlooking downtown and just 5 minutes walk from stores and 10 minutes walk from the beach.

After years of being oceanfront, we decided that it is too boring and we could be anywhere in the sun belt. Now we get to enjoy being in Mexico all the time. there are many "gringo ghettos" up north of PV and we have friends who work in real estate here and they love it.

But to come downtown takes them 30-45 minutes depending on when they try it. We also walk a lot so having handy destinations makes that more desirable.

We have stayed in San Diego on extended home swaps and we eventually really tired of having to drive everywhere. Our neighborhood there had beautiful sidewalks and no pedestrians, and bike lanes everywhere but no bikers...

When we travel to the Mainland, no matter where we go the most frequently-heard comment is "Y'all's from Hawayuh and yer vacationin' here?!?"

We have stayed in San Diego on extended home swaps and we eventually really tired of having to drive everywhere. Our neighborhood there had beautiful sidewalks and no pedestrians, and bike lanes everywhere but no bikers...
And hills. Don't forget the hills. Grinding out of Miission Valley, even on a 21-speed with zero % humidity, is no fun.

In defense of San Diego, they have many urban neighborhoods that are pedestrian/biker friendly. We really enjoyed Normal Heights (which was neither) and Kensington. Both are probably getting more affordable every month.

Those Jersey accents really stand out, don't they? ;)
I hate to say it, but most accents sound like that to me now.

The northeast's high-speed talkers have become the worst. I just can't wrap my brain cells around the phonemes fast enough... pretty soon I'll be dialing phone calls to TTY lines.

R
Unless you vacation more than 1/2 the time, why not enjoy the resort living every day? And really, you're going to vacation in a different kind of place so you can still enjoy it.

Next year I will retire full time to a golf/ski resort. I can ski every day and enjoy it, and since it is a 5 minute drive to the base and I have a season ticket, if conditions aren't good I can go back in after 1 run and haven't shot my day or wasted money. I have great views and have easy access to many miles of hiking trails, including the AT.

One of my neighbors had this as their second house for awhile, but enjoyed it so much more than the city they decided they'd rather live here, sell the other house, and take great vacations all over the world. They also found their kids visited a lot more often at the resort. I think that worse than living at a resort is having a second home you feel obliged to take your vacations at, though of course there's no real obligation to do that either.

Inconveniences:

You get more tourists who may be driving slow and gawking or trying to find their way when you are wanting to scoot along and get an errand run. You learn to plan to avoid driving when you know it's usually busiest.

Not so many full time residents, but I do have plenty of seasonal and weekend friends.

Any worthwhile grocery, hardware store, doctor, etc is 1/2 hour away. Not all resorts are like this, but ours is somewhat remote and small.

Friends and family may drop in like it's a hotel. This is nice when you want guests. I'm not shy about saying no if I've got other plans or just don't feel like it. I make it clear for most of my guests that I don't plan on feeding them all, but if they're going to be cooking I'd likely join them at dinner, and I give them tips on the best grocery store to hit on the way up. I've never had a problem with this. I've even felt bad at some of the things people have brought along, since I didn't mean they had to bring along their own garlic salt or flour or things like that.

Half the commercial RV parks we stay in have "Resort" in the name. A few of them really are..... LOL!

Audrey

RIT:

Do you golf? want to play softball? Do you enjoy going to the same few restaurants repeatedly? How about socializing with your neighbors? Do you thed to like the kinds of things that are mainstream, that most people like, or do you have some interests that are more unusual or unique. Was it all of the "green" and the slower pace that seemed appealing? There is a gut appeal to these communities, but if you pickthe right community and don't fit in to the crowd, beware.

RIT:
Do you golf? want to play softball? Do you enjoy going to the same few restaurants repeatedly? How about socializing with your neighbors? Do you thed to like the kinds of things that are mainstream, that most people like, or do you have some interests that are more unusual or unique. Was it all of the "green" and the slower pace that seemed appealing? There is a gut appeal to these communities, but if you pickthe right community and don't fit in to the crowd, beware.

Yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes.

I do see your point - once you get past the Madison Ave brochures, manicured greens, and Norman Rockwell visuals, is the core right for you?

But you can sing that song with the city life, too, no? How often do you really go to the symphony? Do you really like it that much? Do you really ever get used to fire sirens and city noises? Is you house really worth 200% more than the same size resort house? Are those friendly sidewalk friends really friends? When you eat out, do you really go to all those chic, expensive restaurants-du-jour? Aren't you just a tad suspicious of that unfamiliar urban dweller walking a bit unsteadily down your street?

I've only lived in the real, nitty, gritty city and probably always will. I guess you never know til you try. But I do wonder if it might be fun to cross over, at least once.

Rich In Tampa: I live fairly close to Glen Lakes and am not sure what you mean "un-Florida-like" about Brooksville. I admit this is the only part of FL I've lived in (5 years) but Brooksville is your typical old style FL town as far as I can tell. Yeah, it's not South Beach or Palm Beach, if that's what you mean. If you are indeed "Rich", why Brooksville? It's a growing area, yes, but this is about the armpit of central Florida. $400K+ for a home around here? I don't see the attraction. It may be a gated community, but spend some time in the surrounding county and you'll see why! For the money, I'd also look at The Villages which is up around Ocala (sorry not sure exact town) ... bigger and better planned at least from my few visits through it.

Rich In Tampa: I live fairly close to Glen Lakes and am not sure what you mean "un-Florida-like" about Brooksville. I admit this is the only part of FL I've lived in (5 years) but Brooksville is your typical old style FL town as far as I can tell. Yeah, it's not South Beach or Palm Beach, if that's what you mean. If you are indeed "Rich", why Brooksville? It's a growing area, yes, but this is about the armpit of central Florida. $400K+ for a home around here? I don't see the attraction. It may be a gated community, but spend some time in the surrounding county and you'll see why! For the money, I'd also look at The Villages which is up around Ocala (sorry not sure exact town) ... bigger and better planned at least from my few visits through it.

Thanks for the perspective - I certainly don't know that market up there, just reflecting a bit. Un-Florida-like was referring to the hills, curvy roads and vistas - definitely unlike the Florida I have seen, more like parts of Georgia terrain wise.

The Villages is an amazing phenomenon - there was even a thread here a while back. I have never encountered a place where the residents were happier, and I meet quite a few in my work. I don't think it's quite right for DW and I, but whatever they're doing, they must be doing it right.

As for the Brooksville area, interesting perspective - I've only driven through. How do you like Glen Lakes life?

If you are indeed "Rich", why Brooksville?
I believe it's a given name, not a financial report... and Pedorrero, you'd be one of the last people who'd want to get into how we chose our posting names!

I could never stand to live in a resort with a bunch of people my age, my socio-economic and probably racial group. I would be bored to death! I really enjoy living in a city with all kinds of people, all ages, different ideas and lots of different groups to get involved with that include all age groups, etc. etc.

When I'm really really old and decrepit there might be some advantages to living in a senior resort style community but, frankly, for me I doubt it.

I believe it's a given name, not a financial report... and Pedorrero, you'd be one of the last people who'd want to get into how we chose our posting names!

Yup, "Rich" as in "Richard." Though I kind of like the sound of "rich_in_..." in its literal sense.

my only problem with association living is all the rules. as annoying as neighbors can be with no rules, rules bug me moreso. but if you are ok with rules it can be a real nice lifestyle. so where are you going to park your travelhome?

my only problem with association living is all the rules. as annoying as neighbors can be with no rules, rules bug me more so.

YES. Soon after I moved into my HOA townhome community my neighbor the HOA president asked me to take my dog across the street to the dirt lot to pee instead of letting him pee on the little strip of grass in front of our townhomes. I couldn't believe it! There were a few yellow grass spots but nothing major and there were/are LOTS of dogs in the neighorhood who pass by our grass every day.

At the next meeting she was roundly ridiculed. But,frankly, she wasn't alone. There were others who thought that even though our regulations allow two dogs per household that dogs should pee somewhere that wouldn't cause brown pee spots in the grass. And this is supposedly a progressive liberal community (if that means anything these days). But they were concerned about the appearance of their little patches of lawn!:rolleyes:

Anyway, the attitude problem has gone away, probably because I rounded up the other dog owners and also made it an issue at the meeting.

my only problem with association living is all the rules. as annoying as neighbors can be with no rules, rules bug me moreso. but if you are ok with rules it can be a real nice lifestyle. so where are you going to park your travelhome?

I hear ya. Rules can cut both ways.

I've come to the conclusion that the only difference between a deed-restricted/HOA lifestyle and a standard community lifestyle is that in the former, the rules precede the infractions whereas in the latter the infractions come first, and the fighting follows. Example: the guy across the street and down from us has now accumulated 4 cars and 2 trailers (for his toys) all in his front circular driveway. He's out of compliance with city code and his neighbor has taken him to task on it - does look kind of hokey for a decent neighborhood; it's getting like the Hatfields and the McCoys once in a while.

Yeah, the trailer wouldn't be welcome.

We are currently looking at a 55+ "resort" in St George, UT as our next living destination. The homes run from 1100-2900 sq. ft. and all on one level. There are two community golf courses, indoor and outdoor pool, fitness center, Rec. building, yard and exterior maintenance etc. and storage for RVs. All this comes at a price as well as steep HOA dues but the attraction for us is the community itself with all the activities yet the freedom of having your own home. The yard and exterior maintainence would allow us to travel without as much worry as we have now with the snow and sub-freezing temperatures. It also forces us to really downsize yet keep the stuff we really want and still have space for it all.

We have considered other areas that have similar amenities but are not age restricted. The issue there for us is the lack of true community because of all the folks still w*rking. The 55+ community gives up more options to meet people and do things at our pace or do our own thing as we see fit. It also eliminates the issues with yard apes and wanna-be basketball playing kids bouncing balls all hours of the day nad night. Peace and quiet but the ability to do what we want when we want is what we are looking for right now. We have had our fill of snobby neighborhoods where we don't even know the folks two houses away after 5 years there; everyone is just so isolated and into themselves.

I tried the city life but hated it. Too far in the sticks is also not my cup of tea so we are looking for a nice community with four seasons, no humidity, no tornados, no huricanes and little or no snow or ice. Summers we will be traveling so the heat won't be an issue and besides, that is what AC and pools are for. DW can't do winter much longer and it is taking a toll on my joints and back as well. St George also puts us a day from kids and grandkids and a day from extended family in Calif. Oh, and two hours from Las Vegas. It also gives us a good jumping off place for I-15, I-5, I-40 or I-70 for our RV trips.

Time will tell but we also see this move as a temporary one. We can always move if we don't like it.

We are currently looking at a 55+ "resort" in St George, UT as our next living destination. The homes run from 1100-2900 sq. ft. and all on one level. There are two community golf courses, indoor and outdoor pool, fitness center, Rec. building, yard and exterior maintenance etc. and storage for RVs. All this comes at a price as well as steep HOA dues but the attraction for us is the community itself with all the activities yet the freedom of having your own home. The yard and exterior maintainence would allow us to travel without as much worry as we have now with the snow and sub-freezing temperatures. It also forces us to really downsize yet keep the stuff we really want and still have space for it all.

We have considered other areas that have similar amenities but are not age restricted. The issue there for us is the lack of true community because of all the folks still w*rking. The 55+ community gives up more options to meet people and do things at our pace or do our own thing as we see fit. It also eliminates the issues with yard apes and wanna-be basketball playing kids bouncing balls all hours of the day nad night. Peace and quiet but the ability to do what we want when we want is what we are looking for right now. We have had our fill of snobby neighborhoods where we don't even know the folks two houses away after 5 years there; everyone is just so isolated and into themselves.

I tried the city life but hated it. Too far in the sticks is also not my cup of tea so we are looking for a nice community with four seasons, no humidity, no tornados, no huricanes and little or no snow or ice. Summers we will be traveling so the heat won't be an issue and besides, that is what AC and pools are for. DW can't do winter much longer and it is taking a toll on my joints and back as well. St George also puts us a day from kids and grandkids and a day from extended family in Calif. Oh, and two hours from Las Vegas. It also gives us a good jumping off place for I-15, I-5, I-40 or I-70 for our RV trips.

Time will tell but we also see this move as a temporary one. We can always move if we don't like it.

SteveR,

Particularly, if you have never lived in a community governed by a Home Owners Association (HOA) be sure that you read ALL of the governing documents (e.g. Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, Rules and Regs, etc.) before you buy. This way you will not be surprised by all of the things you can't do and things that the HOA can make you do. I live in an HOA and find that the restrictions are worth the benefits, but there are lots of folks here who get very upset when they realize that they should have read the documents BEFORE they moved in. HOA's are like mini - local governments but without any of the protections of the two party system and without the familiar due process protections. Be sure you can live with that.

Grumpy

SteveR,

Particularly, if you have never lived in a community governed by a Home Owners Association (HOA) be sure that you read ALL of the governing documents (e.g. Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, Rules and Regs, etc.) before you buy. This way you will not be surprised by all of the things you can't do and things that the HOA can make you do. I live in an HOA and find that the restrictions are worth the benefits, but there are lots of folks here who get very upset when they realize that they should have read the documents BEFORE they moved in. HOA's are like mini - local governments but without any of the protections of the two party system and without the familiar due process protections. Be sure you can live with that.

Grumpy

I agree, and there are also few checks and balances as we have in our typical three branch government. I don't know if it's something that could be fought, but our architecture committee changed some of the rules about landscaping (especially cutting trees to improve views). So the same group enforcing the rules is also making them. That's pretty dangerous.

On the other hand, we don't have rusted out junkers sitting in any front lawns, so that's nice.

Thanks guys but I am very aware of HOA rules and requirements as I have lived with them for 10 years and am currently under two HOAs; one for my home and one for my RV lot. I attend our HOA meetings and voice my opinion on topics that are near and dear to me.

We have already requested a copy of the HOA documents for review before we buy in the area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom