Credit Card Conundrum

How could we not? :confused: Of course I do. ....

Years ago, I got lazy because I was busy so I'd just pay my CC bills, and only accidentally noticed one had a charge for out of the country !!!

I realized that was a scam, and phoned it in.
Then I figured I should check my other CC statement, and the same scam charge was on it too.

One was Mastercard, the other Visa.

Since then, I look at all the charges :cool:

how many of you actually reconcile your credit card statement(s)? i do and then sit back. all of our cards are on automatic pay from a bank account on the due date.

Not me. I don’t even reconcile checking anymore. What does it actually mean to reconcile a credit card statement? I look at each charge to verify it is legit but I do have many small charges across several cards. When I did reconcile checking it was only to identify outstanding debits to ensure I had funds available for when they posted. That is meaningless for a credit card account.

Not me. I don’t even reconcile checking anymore. What does it actually mean to reconcile a credit card statement? I look at each charge to verify it is legit but I do have many small charges across several cards. When I did reconcile checking it was only to identify outstanding debits to ensure I had funds available for when they posted. That is meaningless for a credit card account.
Over my lifetime, I've found a few things on credit cards that I didn't owe. Let me say, even if I gave myself just pennies per hour, the time spent was way more than I saved, so it's certainly a "waste of time".

Three times a restaurant server granted themselves more of a tip than I gave them. That would go unnoticed without the kind of reconciliation where you enter your own numbers. BTW, I don't call looking over a statement to see if any charges look out of the ordinary "reconciliation".

all our our credit card activities are entered into Quicken and are then reconciled against the statement. but even looking over the statement to see if any fraudulent charges appear is certainly a less precise form of reconciliation...at least you're looking at it. adding on to a tip, IMO, is theft and fraud...assuming it was not sloppy penmanship. me?

...assuming it was not sloppy penmanship. me?
Fraud, for sure, all three times. One time it was not penmanship, but rather a typo on my buddy's part. On a split bill, he accidentally gave the server a huge tip. So rather than have him scratch it out, I put a smaller tip on my card and handed him some cash. So everyone was square, but although the server was willing to accept being wildly over-tipped, he wasn't so accepting of being wildly under-tipped, hehehe! Thus, he became a thief. Another one was a server who gave severely poor service, but apparently felt entitled enough to add $10 to my low, but not overly insulting tip. The last one was good service and a 15%+ tip, but about doubled it. Maybe she had some bills coming due or something.

I keep tabs on everything incl checking accounts. My cc's are all on auto-pay min, even though I pay them off each month in full.
It's easy to set up and keeps me from worrying when I'm traveling.

It wouldn't do to give the bank unlimited auto pay access. I don't want to be in a position where I have to do the work to claw overpayments back. It happens.
Chase seems to be a huge offender when it comes to getting an overpayment back on your monthly car payment.

...and I like getting text alarms about the activity on my accounts. Saved me from a $300 paypal scam on my checking acct. I was able to stop the payout.

Fraud, for sure, all three times. One time it was not penmanship, but rather a typo on my buddy's part. On a split bill, he accidentally gave the server a huge tip. So rather than have him scratch it out, I put a smaller tip on my card and handed him some cash. So everyone was square, but although the server was willing to accept being wildly over-tipped, he wasn't so accepting of being wildly under-tipped, hehehe! Thus, he became a thief. Another one was a server who gave severely poor service, but apparently felt entitled enough to add $10 to my low, but not overly insulting tip. The last one was good service and a 15%+ tip, but about doubled it. Maybe she had some bills coming due or something.

wow...hutzpah in droves. like i wrote i would definitely lodge a challenge to those charges and thinkifng about it i'd likely place a call to the restaurant mgr. no excuse for theft...period.

Thread caught my attention as this morning I just cancelled my AA card. Used to travel a lot and it had club access benefits but obviously those needs have shifted. When I saw the annual fee was unchanged ($450) I called to cancel. They tried to persuade me to stay with a $250 reduction in the fee (they told me everyone will get this as an account credit during the year, but somehow were only informing me now) or switching to a cheaper card with fewer benefits. Since I am not traveling in the near future, I declined. In the past year they also removed CDW for car rentals and stopped allowing card holders who were not booked on AA flights from entering the club. Makes me wonder how many customers are going to stick with that card.

Now I am in the market for a cheaper replacement, ideally no fee either annually or on foreign transactions (on the assumption I will travel again someday and all my other cards seem to levy that at 2-3%, which can add up). I suppose there's a free AA affinity card somewhere to keep my miles balance topping up but keeping up with credit card offers is a chore.....hoping this has no impact on my credit as I have 3 other cards but some of the numbers here make think I need a few more :)

Thread caught my attention as this morning I just cancelled my AA card. Used to travel a lot and it had club access benefits but obviously those needs have shifted. When I saw the annual fee was unchanged ($450) I called to cancel. They tried to persuade me to stay with a $250 reduction in the fee (they told me everyone will get this as an account credit during the year, but somehow were only informing me now) or switching to a cheaper card with fewer benefits. Since I am not traveling in the near future, I declined. In the past year they also removed CDW for car rentals and stopped allowing card holders who were not booked on AA flights from entering the club. Makes me wonder how many customers are going to stick with that card.

Now I am in the market for a cheaper replacement, ideally no fee either annually or on foreign transactions (on the assumption I will travel again someday and all my other cards seem to levy that at 2-3%, which can add up). I suppose there's a free AA affinity card somewhere to keep my miles balance topping up but keeping up with credit card offers is a chore.....hoping this has no impact on my credit as I have 3 other cards but some of the numbers here make think I need a few more :)

There is a AA dining program,

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/partners/retail-and-dining.jsp#diningprogram

In this dining program you can assign any CC , and when you dine at various restaurants with that CC, you get AA points in addition to whatever the CC normally gives you.
It helps to keep your AA points not expire if you don't have an AA card, or fly for a long time.

Search for doctor of credit web site. And if you can, contribute your experiences with CC companies in the comments. I found it to be a great resource for picking the next card. You could find a no annual fee card to swap. They might not offer it to you, but if you tell them you like the features of a specific offering, they'd be backed into a corner and might make the swap without the rigamarole of applying.

how many of you actually reconcile your credit card statement(s)? i do and then sit back. all of our cards are on automatic pay from a bank account on the due date.
I download transactions and reconcile every online statement in Quicken. I go through my cc receipts and then shred the ones that don't need to be saved long term. Part of my process is to assign categories that haven't been assigned automatically. Our spending history stays up to date via this method.

I have rarely found something bogus, but that's enough for me to keep doing it. BTW - I currently have a gas receipt from July that didn't get charged to the card on the date shown. I wonder what happened to their system, because it's been a while now and it simply didn't post.

Most of the cc bills are on automatic pay.

Last edited:
Search for doctor of credit web site. And if you can, contribute your experiences with CC companies in the comments. I found it to be a great resource for picking the next card. You could find a no annual fee card to swap. They might not offer it to you, but if you tell them you like the features of a specific offering, they'd be backed into a corner and might make the swap without the rigamarole of applying.

here ya go..

https://www.doctorofcredit.com

Back
Top Bottom