Credit Freeze

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our credit has been frozen through the IRS since 2016. We've used a special ID to file our taxes for the last 7 years and now that's expiring. I'd like to continue that freeze. Does anyone else have a credit freeze through the IRS?

I also froze our credit manually but I'm not sure that's as secure.

The IRS has been in contact with us every year since our credit was stolen, and a police report was filed back in 2016.

Has anyone experienced this? The google search is vague.

I've never heard of a credit freeze through the IRS unless you are talking about the IRS PIN.

I got my tax info stolen years ago (sounds like about 2016 too) and now each year the IRS sends me a PIN that I need to use to file. The IRS PIN is a something I need every year. New PIN each year.

I also have my credit frozen individually (well, 2 out of 3, the other is locked). This is done totally separate from the IRS PIN.

I believe you are referring to an IRS PIN? I always thought once you opted in to that program you were in it forever?
You may want to change your title to IRS PIN ending, or something like that to get the tax experts attention to your thread.

I've never heard of a credit freeze through the IRS unless you are talking about the IRS PIN.

I got my tax info stolen years ago (sounds like about 2016 too) and now each year the IRS sends me a PIN that I need to use to file. The IRS PIN is a something I need every year. New PIN each year.

I also have my credit frozen individually (well, 2 out of 3, the other is locked). This is done totally separate from the IRS PIN.

Yep, this is familiar. I guess I was confused. I froze our credit. I checked my credit report...all good but it said something about the freeze on the particular report being up in August 2023. I must have to re-freeze my own credit on all three reports. Thanks.

Yep, this is familiar. I guess I was confused. I froze our credit. I checked my credit report...all good but it said something about the freeze on the particular report being up in August 2023. I must have to re-freeze my own credit on all three reports. Thanks.

Credit freezes at the 3 big bureaus should be permanent unless you lift them yourself.
Maybe you received some sort of free credit monitoring from a breach and now its ending?

Your post brought back memories when I went that path of reporting to the police and freezing credit and having to get the IRS PIN. A lot goes on at that time while still upset that my info got hacked/stolen in the first place. Could see how things get confused.

If there hasn't been any action on your part (freezing or unfreezing), I'd think the credit reports would show the current statuses. Also, if you unfreeze, you can choose to unfreeze (til you freeze again) or thaw which is temporary than auto freezes again automatically.

For me, I'm set up now that I freeze or unfreeze/thaw online for Transunion and Experian. For Equifax I had issues with the online accounts but do have an account to lock/unlock. So, I don't need to jump through too many hoops to request things the way I want.

We authorize our CPA to get a PIN from IRS each year to e-file. We never even know what it is. Did you freeze the "ability" to get a new PIN? IOW did you make it impossible for anyone but you to get the PIN? That would be all you need, I would think but I don't do my own taxes. CPA says the system we use is very safe. Of course, I'm trusting her (not so much the IRS.)

We authorize our CPA to get a PIN from IRS each year to e-file. We never even know what it is. Did you freeze the "ability" to get a new PIN? IOW did you make it impossible for anyone but you to get the PIN? That would be all you need, I would think but I don't do my own taxes. CPA says the system we use is very safe. Of course, I'm trusting her (not so much the IRS.)

I recall the IRS PIN is good for 7 years. They mail it to us and we give it to the accountant. It's been so long since I froze our credit reports, I don't know how to unfreeze or re-freeze. When we bought our car in 2019, took out a loan and they made me jump through hoops to access our credit report. The dealership had us call in and I had to answer 5 questions (I think). One of them was what is your maximum credit limit on such CC. Asked about the old address from years ago and what company we had a mortgage with. It was a challenge on the spur of the moment but somehow I remembered. Our credit was frozen at the time so this was the workaround.

Edit: the questions they asked over the phone did not offer multiple choices. I had to answer correctly at that moment. Like what was your address in 2004? I don't know how I remembered that.

Then I paid off the loan within 3 weeks. I got mad because they gave me a crummy interest rate when I my credit was excellent. I think it was because I'm a woman. My husband couldn't remember anything so they cut him off:LOL:

Last edited:
I recall the IRS PIN is good for 7 years. They mail it to us and we give it to the accountant. It's been so long since I froze our credit reports, I don't know how to unfreeze or re-freeze. When we bought our car in 2019, took out a loan and they made me jump through hoops to access our credit report. The dealership had us call in and I had to answer 5 questions (I think). One of them was what is your maximum credit limit on such CC. Asked about the old address from years ago and what company we had a mortgage with. It was a challenge on the spur of the moment but somehow I remembered. Our credit was frozen at the time so this was the workaround.

Edit: the questions they asked over the phone did not offer multiple choices. I had to answer correctly at that moment. Like what was your address in 2004? I don't know how I remembered that.

Then I paid off the loan within 3 weeks. I got mad because they gave me a crummy interest rate when I my credit was excellent. I think it was because I'm a woman. My husband couldn't remember anything so they cut him off:LOL:

Is the IRS PIN you are mentioning from the IRS or a PIN from tax software? The reason I ask is my understanding is the IRS PIN I'm getting is a lifetime thing. I get a new one each year snail mailed form the IRS that I have to use as a result of being a victim of identity theft.

As or the unfreezing of credit, I had a similar situation like you at a Sears years ago. Was applying for a Sears mastercard but had to verify for approval. Thought I answered the questions correctly (over the phone). I did eventually get the card, but was a confusing process.

Used to be to unfreeze, all 3 of the credit bureau did the freezing and unfreezing with a PIN they issued. But they decided to not all do that anymore. Not sure if I'm right but I think now Transunion still uses a PIN, Experian you can freeze/unfreeze after creating an account. Equifax I think perhaps with an account too but I had trouble with them and their sign in but do use their lock/unlock instead of freeze/unfreeze. Was simpler when they all used a PIN.

I can unfreeze my credit at Experian, Equifax, and Transunion using my online accounts with them with no PIN required, but I do have PINs for Experian and Transunion.

I just thawed my credit on Experian and Transunion. Unlocked on Equifax. All done online without need of a PIN.

We get a new IRS PIN each year via the irs.gov website. I get it after logging in, so not a bunch of questions to guess correctly.

We also have a PIN for IL, but it remains the same and is used each year.

Back
Top Bottom