Current Covid Booster - September 2023

"The US Centers for Disease Control and FDA issued a public communication in January explaining that one of their near real-time vaccine safety monitoring studies — called the Vaccine Safety Datalink — had picked up a small and uncertain risk of stroke for older adults who received a dose of Pfizer’s bivalent Covid-19 vaccine and a high-dose or adjuvanted flu shot on the same day. That study triggered the FDA’s broader look at strokes after vaccination noted in the medical records of seniors on Medicare. "

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/25/health/covid-flu-vaccine-stroke-risk-study/index.html

Okay so they were suspicious in Jan and we hear this today? Geez. I don't do same day or over 65 shots but still . . . they aren't doing a ton for the image of the shot . . .

Still if you feel it applies might want to consider it.

Last edited:
The medical assistant at my doctor said the large corporation they work for is not requiring covid shots for the employees this year. Not sure what numbers we are talking about for impacts if other hosptials/etc do the same.

Well we’re just glad an updated version was available to us before international travel.

Availability was a challenge during the first couple of weeks.

+1 We got ours 2 weeks before we left for Sicily on Oct. 3. Yes, it was a challenge. We had to drive to a small farming town. CVS had the Moderna vaccine and no waiting line. My local pharmacist told me to get it wherever I can, it's like gold right now. So we drove 45 minutes.

"The US Centers for Disease Control and FDA issued a public communication in January explaining that one of their near real-time vaccine safety monitoring studies — called the Vaccine Safety Datalink — had picked up a small and uncertain risk of stroke for older adults who received a dose of Pfizer’s bivalent Covid-19 vaccine and a high-dose or adjuvanted flu shot on the same day. That study triggered the FDA’s broader look at strokes after vaccination noted in the medical records of seniors on Medicare. "

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/25/health/covid-flu-vaccine-stroke-risk-study/index.html

Okay so they were suspicious in Jan and we hear this today? Geez. I don't do same day or over 65 shots but still . . . they aren't doing a ton for the image of the shot . . .

Still if you feel it applies might want to consider it.

So you wanted CNN to alert you in January when the CDC/FDA made a preliminary announcement?

Also from the link it looks like the increased risk, if any, may mainly be related to the high dose flu shot.

Well we’re just glad an updated version was available to us before international travel.
Availability was a challenge during the first couple of weeks.
I was unable to get the shot before my recent trip.

Alas, I came home with an rather nasty souvenir - Covid. I'm done with it now, and will get my RSV and flu shots next week.

I have been told there is no need to rush for the new Covid shot as my body is full of immunity cells at present. So I can wait about 2-3 months and get it when my existing immunity levels start to fall. Has anybody else heard this advice?

Last edited:

Alas, I came home with an rather nasty souvenir - Covid. I'm done with it now, and will get my RSV and flu shots next week.

I have been told there is not need to rush for the new Covid shot as my body is full of immunity cells at present. So I can wait about 2-3 months and get it when my existing immunity levels start to fall. Has anybody else heard this advice?
Yes, I've heard the same advice. I was wondering the same thing after having covid in May. Presumably, it was a newer strain so no need to hurry for another shot. Since I was almost 5 months post-infection, I got the new covid shot a couple of weeks ago at the same time as my flu shot. Then I waited a couple of weeks for the RSV shot. If I'd known what I do now, I probably would not have got the flu shot at the same time as covid although I had only a slightly sore arm from the covid shot and no reaction at all from the flu shot. My arm is still sore at the injection point from the RSV shot 3 days later. I felt a bit listless the evening of the RSV shot but not much else.

So you wanted CNN to alert you in January when the CDC/FDA made a preliminary announcement?

Also from the link it looks like the increased risk, if any, may mainly be related to the high dose flu shot.

I thought perhaps people here getting both would be interested. If I had planned to get high dose (not old enough) or same day (I don't do that) I would have reconsidered. It isn't as if it is difficult to find a flu shot.

Last edited:

I have been told there is not need to rush for the new Covid shot as my body is full of immunity cells at present. So I can wait about 2-3 months and get it when my existing immunity levels start to fall. Has anybody else heard this advice?

If you get a vaccine too soon after infection, your current immunity makes the booster less effective. One of initial problems with the vaccine is the first two doses were given too close together. When we do catch up vaccines in kids who missed their early immunizations, there are minimal intervals between doses. Booster doses need longer intervals for effectiveness.

I got Covid last October, the same day I got the bivalent booster. By the time the three month interval passed, I could have gotten a second booster, but chose to wait, since there were new variants.

DH has Covid now and we’re isolating. He got the booster 5 weeks ago and barely has symptoms. I’m testing daily and so far so good. I got my booster also, 4 weeks ago.

I received the Covid booster (Moderna) Wednesday, along with the flu vaccine. We don't really take any precautions anymore , and I opted for a little more protection to cover the indoor winter season in the Upper Midwest.

Played pickleball Wednesday after the shots. No problems. Took a preventative ibuprofen before bed. Still woke up with bad chills in the middle of the night, which has happened after every Covid shot for me. Took it easy yesterday. Feel normal today.

Looks like a very meager participation rate this season for Covid vaccine.

"A month after federal officials*recommended new versions*of COVID-19 vaccines, 7% of U.S. adults and 2% of children have gotten a shot."

https://www.nbc29.com/2023/10/26/2-kids-7-adults-have-gotten-new-covid-shots-us-data-show/

Yeah a week or two ago, I saw on CNBC notice of a downgrade on Pfizer because of lower forecasts of covid vaccine sales.

At some point, the companies may decide there's no business case to continue updating and making new boosters.

Yeah a week or two ago, I saw on CNBC notice of a downgrade on Pfizer because of lower forecasts of covid vaccine.

I don’t know why Wall Street expected anything different. The CDC website shows that uptake of the 2022 vax was only 20%.

Heard last week, only 2% of US population, have taken current booster.
Wonder why?

Heard last week, only 2% of US population, have taken current booster.
Wonder why?

As posted previously, the rate is higher, yet still meager.

Looks like a very meager participation rate this season for Covid vaccine.

"A month after federal officials*recommended new versions*of COVID-19 vaccines, 7% of U.S. adults and 2% of children have gotten a shot."

https://www.nbc29.com/2023/10/26/2-kids-7-adults-have-gotten-new-covid-shots-us-data-show/

And higher percentage got the flu shots maybe?

Seems to point to a lack of logical consistency.

And higher percentage got the flu shots maybe?

Seems to point to a lack of logical consistency.
Flu shot % is higher, 23% vs 7% for COVID, as shown below. As to why, this may point to more political rather than rational reasons and will avoid that discussion for this forum.

"Based on early data, among 14,733 adults aged ≥18 years responding to the National Immunization Survey during October 8-14, 2023,*22.7%*reported having received an influenza vaccine since July 1, 2023."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/fluvaxview/... early data, among,vaccine since July 1, 2023.

Flu shot % is higher, 23% vs 7% for COVID, as shown below. As to why, this may point to more political rather than rational reasons and will avoid that discussion for this forum.

"Based on early data, among 14,733 adults aged ≥18 years responding to the National Immunization Survey during October 8-14, 2023,*22.7%*reported having received an influenza vaccine since July 1, 2023."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/fluvaxview/... early data, among,vaccine since July 1, 2023.
\
I think that might settle some of this. Flu shots since July? This year's current COVID shot was approved only on 12 Sept and of course took some time to be available, and more time to be widely available. Not an avocados-to-avocados comparison.

It's not just political. A lot of Covid went around last summer. Many of us who got it don't feel the need for the booster just yet.

There is also the question of the new mRNA technology.

I've had covid boisters, I'll have them again. But I don't see a compelling reason to get one right now.

\
I think that might settle some of this. Flu shots since July? This year's current COVID shot was approved only on 12 Sept and of course took some time to be available, and more time to be widely available. Not an avocados-to-avocados comparison.
Most people don't get flu shot until much later, as recommended by CDC, which is September and October. So perhaps more apples to apples than one would think.

"The recommended timing of vaccination is similar to last season. For most people who need only one dose for the season, September and October are generally good times to get vaccinated."
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/season/faq-...er are generally good times to get vaccinated.

Anyway I found this, points to lower overall % intending to get the COVID shot and substantiates my working assumption as to why.

"The survey found respondent political identification significantly influenced vaccination intentions. Seventy percent of liberal respondents intend to get a recommended flu vaccination compared to 54% for moderates and 45% for conservatives. However, political ideology had a greater impact on updated COVID-19 vaccination intentions. Seventy-two percent of liberals plan to receive an updated vaccine, compared to 48% of moderates and 23% of conservatives."

https://grady.uga.edu/more-adults-l...ion-than-receive-an-updated-covid-19-vaccine/

It's not just political. A lot of Covid went around last summer. Many of us who got it don't feel the need for the booster just yet.

There is also the question of the new mRNA technology.

I've had covid boisters, I'll have them again. But I don't see a compelling reason to get one right now.
I'll refer you to survey mentioned in my post above. Indeed political affiliation is cited as a determining factor. Now if you want to disagree with the survey that's fine, everyone can have an opinion.

Mod Note: for about the 100th time, this thread is for members to discuss personal plans, not general hand wringing over vaccines.

I got the covid booster this afternoon. I expect I won't feel great tomorrow, but will be fine after that. I already got the flu shot 10 days ago.

I will likely get the Covid booster. I got my first Shingles vaccination about 3 weeks ago and felt lousy for a couple of days. I got the flu shot last year but I don't typically get it and don't plan on getting it this year. In the past it just seemed like when i got it, I ended up getting the flu. Probably just coincidence.

I got the covid booster this afternoon. I expect I won't feel great tomorrow, but will be fine after that. I already got the flu shot 10 days ago.

Ditto, but will wait at least a week for my flu shot.

No side effects but I always choose Pfizer.

Back
Top Bottom