Did you return to past hobbies?

SJhawkins

Recycles dryer sheets
The time is getting closer to a 2nd chapter. DW and I still like our jobs for the most part, but don't see doing it the rest of out lives. I realize we all need something to retire to, read about many stories over the years here.

My question to you folks, did you gravitate back to your old hobbies?

I have many lifetime hobbies I stay somewhat active in, hobbies that really would be perfect retirement hobbies. Always thought when the time came I ramp back up and become more active, at least that was a goal 20 years ago.

I would like to think I would become more active in my current hobbies, maybe start some new ones, etc. But then again if they were really important one would think I would make more time for them now then I do!

What say you, did you ramp back up into old hobbies, become more active in old/current hobbies?

Yeah, in a big way. Bought my fifth boat and working on my sixth. Bought a new smaller telescope, gave away my 10 inch Dob.

Cooking up even more expensive exotic food (sushi grade fish and wagyu beef)

Retirement is good - :)

The one old hobby I restarted is golf. I hate having to have to wait on the course and when I was working weekends were way too crowded. Once I retired I could play only during the week plus I also now get senior rates.

Yes, got back to my love of a good knife. Mostly pocketknives, but also some handmade/customs.

But it was 5 years after retiring, and 10 years after setting it aside for kids and career. Got in deep during the lockdown buying a lot and sorting out what I really like. Now figuring out the ones to sell, need to do that before my interest wanes. Maybe it will happen in 2022, but has to be done soon as my kids have no interest and I don't want to burden them with disposing of them, likely at fire-sales prices.

My interest in cycling has waxed and waned since retiring. Now on an upswing, but that's another one that I need to "right-size" before long, and for the same reason. A few too many nice bikes that may end up with a $100 yard sale tag on them :(

To the (maybe) underlying question - Yes, I recommend you put a toe in the water on some of your former interests. Likely won't take long to figure out if it is still of interest.

rather hobby-less at the moment, but I may get back into aviation and boating.
My bike is also waiting to get aired back up and on the road. The new home construction has sucked up all my hobby ambition.

My hobbies take up most of my time in retirement. I’ve been woodworking for 50 years. On and off through my working years, but now back in the workshop 3-4 hours a day. Sometimes the whole day. Same with hiking and biking. Started years ago, but now doing more in retirement.

I took up photography as a new hobby when I retired 8 years ago. Trying to add more new hobbies now, but I don’t have much spare time.

Yes, I returned to some past hobbies (the ones I really liked!). :) Others I haven't gotten around to resuming, but they are there waiting for me if/when I want to spend time on another hobby.

Yes, I have 4 or 5 life long hobbies that really ramped up once I retired 10 years ago.... A couple are still going strong.

I never took up any old hobbies after retiring, I just had more time for the hobbies that I was already doing.

Thanks all the reply's,

Between work and walking trying to stay somewhat in shape seems to consume most of the weekday time, have lots of family around that takes most weekends.

Some of my lifetime hobbies are woodworking, amateur radio, guitar/bass and keyboard hack. Like to read too but never seem to find much time for that. Maybe when time opens up more those will take more of center stage, will see in a few years!

SJ

I was an active pilot until I became caregiver for my late wife. Some years later, I remarried, retired, and moved to a small town with an airport.
I decided to get current, and started flying again.

I got involved with Angel Flight West, flying patients to far away medical treatments.

I go back and forth between old hobbies and sports. I now have the time to immerse myself in each of the hobbies or sports.

I picked up new hobbies like house building and don't have time for my old hobbies, like building cnc machines, robotics, etc. I hope to eventually return to those old hobbies but I fear they will have moved on without me (except robotics, that field just goes nowhere fast)

I got back into model airplanes, a hobby that's been "on & off" since I was about five. Now they're of course radio controlled, have video cameras mounted and multiple telemetry data channels downloaded during flight, such as battery voltage and altitude.

Back into golf after 12 years off.

Two hip implants made it possible and I am playing as good as when I was 50, and that was 28 years ago. The only difference is I lost one club distance on iron shots and drives average 200 - 225.

I returned to two hobbies I had in my 20s. Fly fishing and fly tying. Wonderful activities and always more to learn about the finer points of both.

I also spend more time (and money) in punching holes in paper (target shooting).

Another old hobby that I had gotten away from is skiing. Even though it's only a small part of the year, I still find it a lot of fun. Bought some new equipment and that makes it even more fun.

Blame It On the Boy Scouts!

Hello. My name is Keim, and I am a serial hobbyist. Pardon my length, as I have engaged in this behavior for a long time, but never talked about it.*

I have numerous how-to manuals related to my varied interests. I take on a hobby until I have a good general knowledge of how to do it, and then my enthusiasm wanes. I never completely drop the hobby, frequently revisiting as needed, but my interests move on for years at a time.

Below is a sampling of some of my hobbies over the years...

My current hobby is BBQing (We don't have any good BBQ restaurants around here. I wonder if I could make some. Better look at a manual...). I have become quite proficient on the grill. I also hand built a wood smoker, for delicious ribs, pork and briskets. I make my own sauces and rubs. This hobby is morphing into a general cooking hobby, as I am now looking into other cuisines (I bought a general cooking manual last night.) Of my hobbies, the family seems to enjoy this one the most. If the food is good, the family loves it. If it isn't, the dog loves it. Either way, a family member wins!

Another recent hobby is beer brewing. I'll be bottling a batch today. I discovered this hobby on a whim over beers with a friend about four years ago (Hmmm... Marv can do it. He's no genius. Maybe I can too. Think I'll buy a how-to manual). At first I brewed a lot. And it was delicious. Now I brew less. It is still delicious.

Before that it was home electronics. Not buying, making (Dammit! My receiver broke. I can make something better than this hunk of junk. I'll need a how-to manual). I built a tube amplification system from scratch for my home stereo. My serial hobbyism didn't stop there. I also built a pre-amp and phono amp. Yes, I also built speakers. And I rebuilt a wall phone from 1910 (Found a manual for that too). I was in fast and deep. This hobby branched off from my longer term music collecting hobby (Hmmm... I've got a lot of records and CDs. I should put together an audiophile quality system. That's not easy. I'll need a manual.)

I also have a long term hobby car (And several manuals for it). My interest in fixing it up waxes and wanes. It is currently waxing, as I save towards a total restore. I'm sure I'll be needing a how-to manual soon.

I blame my serial hobbyism on the Boy Scouts of America. A hobby I started in elementary school, and continue to this day. Through its handbook and merit badge system I was exposed to dozens of different and unique topics.

Yes, I am a serial hobbyist, and I hope I stay that way.

*Phew! Feels good to get that off my chest

Last edited:
A couple of post above reminded me I used to brew 25 years ago, I bet it has just got more advanced with all the IPA rage these days.

Same for RC fix wing, still have a few planes that not have been in the air for years, something to get back into.

Started putting together a recording studio (equipment) toaday, will see where that brings me. I'm totally amazed at you can get for the dollars and what it do, it's nuts. 30 years back in the gigging days I recall all of us dreaming of a 4 track recorder, times have changed.

....What say you, did you ramp back up into old hobbies, become more active in old/current hobbies?

Yes... prior to retiring I played golf a few times a month in season... now I generally play golf 2 times a week and since we snowbird now the season is much longer.

Definitely. I gave up boating after 25 years and 5 boats in 2018. Resumed golf after 15+ years off in 2017, and plan to stick with it. Great pastime for seniors IMO. Golf is cheap compared to boats.

I took up guitar again after 30+ years away from it but found I plateaued at the exact same skill level as in my 20’s, so I sold the guitar - not meant to be for me.

I’d love to resume woodworking but between my diminished eyesight (safety) and the space/mess I just can’t.

Resuming old hobbies is one of the four facets of Zelinski’s Get-A-Life Tree exercise, something I recommend to all (pre) retirees, especially if you have any ‘what will I do all day’ doubts about pulling the retirement trigger.

Last edited:
I took up guitar again after 30+ years away from it but found I plateaued at the exact same skill level as in my 20’s, so I sold the guitar - not meant to be for me.

If you enjoy music, you might want to try a ukulele. They are easy and fun to play. I know several folks (including my wife) who gave up on guitar, but really enjoy playing the ukulele.

I got into genealogy when I was only 13. It gave me time to spend with my DM, and I was enjoying the discovery of scandals (at 13, an ancestor who couldn't keep his pants buttoned was exciting!!!). I kept it up over the years, sometimes more and sometimes less. Since I retired 6 1/2 years ago, I have spent more time researching and connecting with distant "cousins". One day, I might even write a book!

I'm lucky to be in a couple bands with very good musicians and that has improved my playing more than any amount of practice can do.

I have a number of hobbies that I have cycled thru over the years that I could see doing more of in retirement. My interest in each of them ebbs and flows depending on my free time and moods, but I’ve come back to each of them in the past. Aquarium fish breeding, comic book collecting and selling, gardening, and poker are all things I have spent a lot of time on in the past and will probably do more of in retirement.

Yes, bigly. Guitar and cycling. Main focus is guitar for the past year of retirement, trying to make up for lost time. Will spend at least another year in the same way before addng more cycling and health. If you are into your hobbies at all you will LOVE retirement.

Back
Top Bottom