Disturbing occurrence at my gym

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
At my nearby Planet Fitness, the manager tries hard to hire nice young people to work behind the counter. I often see the manager sitting with/counseling his employees about how to handle this and that.

Well, the manager wasn't there yesterday, and I watched/overheard with growing upset as a customer berated two young assistant managers for nearly 10 minutes by the clock.

The customer was a very large woman; about my height; twice my weight. She was accompanied by her teen daughter. I have literally never heard such unending verbal abuse in a public place. I'm not sure, but I think the issue was that her electronic card didn't scan, so they wouldn't let her use the gym. She, however, was in a hurry and wanted to work out right then.

The male employee was on the phone, so the woman poured her bile on the petite young woman, who spoke so softly that I couldn't hear her. You could hear her all over the gym! "Don't you take that tone with me. You're talking to me like I'm ignorant. I'm NOT ignorant." "Who do you think you are? I wasn't talking to YOU. I was talking to my dawrder." "I guess this must be my day to deal with b----s. I've been dealing with b-----s all day."

The woman was clearly enjoying creating a scene. Her small eyes darted around the gym, to see who was looking. I wanted very much to go over and ask her to keep her voice down, but I was intimidated.

Finally she went away, and I went to the front desk to offer sympathy and praise the young people for their self-restraint. They were so grateful. I honestly think they thought I was coming over to scold about the uproar. A couple of other customers also came over to show their support.

I felt like a coward. Does anyone think I could have intervened earlier? Or was it best to just let the managers deal with the customer?

I don't think it was necessary to intervene. If it had elevated to a physical assault, yeah, at that point I would say it's a persons responsibility to get involved.

I'd like to say/ask more, but in the hypersensitive world we live in, censorship rules the day.

Last edited:
I felt like a coward. Does anyone think I could have intervened earlier? Or was it best to just let the managers deal with the customer?
I would never intervene. There are far too many crazies out there today. Too many people with guns, too, especially if you live in a place where carrying one is legal. If I see any sort of fight in public, I steer clear. The last thing I want is to become a part of it.

I think your reaction was perfect, If anything, leave your name or contact in case the employees have issues with management later.

I don’t usually interfere with belligerent people. They’re already showing they have no restraint and a confrontation is not likely to help. Sticking around to provide support or an accounting of what happened may help thr aggrieved party.

You handled it well. I wouldn’t interfere with obnoxious people, as they are usually unreasonable or looking for conflict. I would let the manager know how well the employees handled the situation.

I would get with the manager to cancel her membership permanently. Much like the no fly list when you cause a commotion on an airline.

I have a good sized friend who would, on occasion, position himself close by and then say loud enough so that everyone could hear (I've seen him do it): "Wow, some people are real jerks." If she dared to call him out it he would start insulting her. Most of them won't because of his size and because most bullies are really cowards at heart that fear someone standing up to them.

He has no mercy for people who pick on others, especially someone in a customer service position who isn't allowed to talk back.. The first time I saw it I was a little shocked, but then I realized that some people are jerks and they deserved it.

I intend to do so. I don't know the employees' names, but he'll know who was working on Thursday. Most likely they have already told him all about it.

I would let the manager know how well the employees handled the situation.

It’s best to not intervene, as long as it doesn’t turn physical, as it may just escalate the jerkness of the person being a jerk. Standing by and witnessing is the right thing to do as well as giving support afterwards to those wronged.

Hopefully management relieves that woman of her membership - or maybe they already had and that’s why her card didn’t work. I feel bad for that woman’s daughter - think of how embarrassed she must have been.

I would get with the manager to cancel her membership permanently. Much like the no fly list when you cause a commotion on an airline.

Absolutely, I would speak directly with the manager and strongly (but politely) advocate that this horrible woman be barred from the gym. Telling the manager that this woman's belligerent tirade made you feel extremely uncomfortable and unsafe should get his/her attention.

I think your reaction was perfect, If anything, leave your name or contact in case the employees have issues with management later.

I don’t usually interfere with belligerent people. They’re already showing they have no restraint and a confrontation is not likely to help. Sticking around to provide support or an accounting of what happened may help thr aggrieved party.
Agree. I'm sure that the employees greatly appreciated the support and would if they needed support with the manager. Though most managers know the type and are unlikely to give the employees much grief I think.

I always make sure to say a kind word to the employee afterwards and tell them how well they handled it, which the OP did.

I agree that her membership should be terminated. PF terminated mine a year ago after I wrote polite letters to the 3 local clubs I used and to HQ because they weren't enforcing masking (required by city laws at the time). I think her behavior was worse.

Last edited:
Ugh, reminds me of that happening to me as a teenager. It's scary and embarrassing when someone sees an opportunity to abuse a kid without recourse- especially when their job is at stake. As disneysteve said, these days you never know if someone is on drugs or has a knife/gun, or is looking to pick a fight with someone. I'm big enough that maybe I would have walked over and just stood there and listened and not say anything. Maybe that would have been enough to throttle down the bully's aggression a bit, and let the kids know they are not alone. I know I would have appreciated that as a kid.

I have a good sized friend who would, on occasion, position himself close by and then say loud enough so that everyone could hear (I've seen him do it): "Wow, some people are real jerks." If she dared to call him out it he would start insulting her. Most of them won't because of his size and because most bullies are really cowards at heart that fear someone standing up to them.

He has no mercy for people who pick on others, especially someone in a customer service position who isn't allowed to talk back.. The first time I saw it I was a little shocked, but then I realized that some people are jerks and they deserved it.

Love it. They do deserve it. :LOL:

Met a Real Estate agent that was a former NBA player for several teams according to the brokers web site. Listed him at 6'11", holy smokes that is huge. Good thing he was friendly.

It occurred to me, but the two people behind the counter were quite capable of doing that themselves. I figured it would only escalate the drama.

I’d have probably called the cops.

Don't you wish you had a cattle prod sometimes to deal with the cows. :D

Cheers!

You're in FL, so intervening has a heightened risk. If the employees looked like they were handling it, good.

But yes, putting in a word with the manager is a good idea, even if it only elevates those staff members, but it would be good to support their likely reports on this other member.

My initial reaction would be to upbraid that person like they richly deserved, but;
I learned that it never helps the target of the original ire.
I won't call the police for something like that, either. The police have better things to do, and there can be dire consequences for bringing them into a situation.
What you did was proper and did help.
Kudos to you :)

I think you handled it fine. I would not have intervened but you did let the desk folks now you observed it and complimented them on it.

The only additional thing I would have done was to offer to be a "witness" if their manager needed outside verification of what happened. I have seem folks cause a scene, then when a manager or police are called deny making a scene and accuse the target of making it up. Or accuse the target of saying something that "justifies" their behavior.

The only time I have intervened is a few times when I have been "dragged" into it, by the offending party turning to me and asking something like "you see how they are treating me?" At that point I do say something, with a smile :).

As long as I can wish for anything, casting a spell of silence would have been my choice.

Don't you wish you had a cattle prod sometimes to deal with the cows. :D

Cheers!

You did the right thing.
Years ago I'd have got involved but nowadays there's so many nuts out there. You never know who'll whip out a gun, attack you with a chair or what. You try to intervene and the next thing you wake up on the hospital. I let it go even when I'm wronged personally.
"Head down, live another day". Sad times

I am just wondering what the offending parties size had to do with your post.

There are many unpleasant people in this world. You can only control you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom