Do you post on different forums?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Er is a super great place to share information, opinions and and experiences about moving into the best part of life.

The cordiality of the discussions and the moderation of the threads makes it easy to share without the destructive rancor that has come to be the hallmark of so many online forums. While we may diverge on subjects of importance, and drift off into fun topics, the congeniality of the members keeps us coming back.

That said, while I know that many members DO post in other forums, I wonder if you do?

I post on a number of forums... some of them devoted to retirement, though none quite so friendly as ER. At the other end of the spectrum, some political discussion, and a few devoted to philosophy. Believe it or not, there are some "old persons" forums that tend to share memories as well as commiseration on frailties.

Sounds like a full time job, but it's not. It's way to shorten a long winter, and to keep the senses active... an alternative to the glassy stare at the the TV. Unfortunately, age begins to limit physical activity levels. Some older persons that I observe in the "clubhouse" of our CCRC have allowed their physical limitations to spill over into a mental lethargy. Hopefully the internet will provide younger generations a means to stay in defacto contact with society as they grow older.

Back to the question... "Do you post on different forums?"

Last edited:
Yep, several others, some sporadically, some frequently. Mostly are health related. I don't do political ones anymore because, sadly, The polarized nature of today's discourse has finally forced me to capitulate...:nonono:

I got bored with political ones and don't post on them any more. As shown to the left of this post, I have been here a long time and have a comparatively low number of posts. This is data for my favorite forum. However, slightly off-topic, I have a set of user names that changes depending on the type of forum it is. I think I have used Tadpole only a couple or three times. Do you use the same user name everywhere?

I visit this site almost daily but I visit one outdoor site I like also. I will say ER is top notch and when you have a question etc. you will get a response. I believe that is very important for a site to have people that will respond to threads.

I went to one outdoor site and seemed very informative but know one would post a reply. I don't go there any more.

Thanks for this site and it really has some of the best people of any site that I have been involved in.

Great job!

Actually several others. Mostly active (weekly) on a couple of sports car and other hobby related forums.

I subscribe to several FB pages devoted to hobbies I like. Mostly, we just show pictures of our work. All are strictly moderated, and no side discussions are allowed.

I have posted on city-data, but it's not really my cup of tea. The retirement thread has too many bitter people.

Sports team is my other one.

Yes, there are 3-4 other forums that I read and sometimes post to, every day. I like posting (who would have guessed? :2funny: ). I use a different username for each one.

Started back in the old days on Usenet; talk about the "wild west"... Have at one time or the other posted on REHP, raddr's, ER.org, and Boglehead's, but find that not being tethered to a j*b has reduced my web surfing dramatically.

Yep, I post pretty regularly to two others and very sporadically to another two. The other forums I frequent don't have anything to do with personal finance or retirement. E-R.org satisfies all my needs on those topics.

No, but that's a lie. But I go to Politics forum to stir things up, no PC correct here. Haha.
But in some forums, I'm more serious than others.

I'm on a couple musician forums and occasionally check out a DIY forum...

I tend to post actively on forums related to my hobbies du jour. So I posted a lot on Usenet and Gopher sites (remember those?) related to flying back in the '80s and 90's, photography and sportscars in the late '90s and 00's, then biking and flying (again) and finance now in the turbulent teens.

Last edited:
Yes. I have 2 other forums where I am a moderator and follow those regularly.
Neither are retirement or financial related. I have a few more that I check out off and on. I also subscribe to several mailing lists, some of which I have been a member of for over 10 years. I actually prefer mailing lists to forums. I subscribe to a number of Facebook groups but tend to follow those more sporadically.

One car related, the other investment oriented.

yes a couple. visit this one most frequently these days I think.

Started back in the old days on Usenet; talk about the "wild west"... Have at one time or the other posted on REHP, raddr's, ER.org, and Boglehead's, but find that not being tethered to a j*b has reduced my web surfing dramatically.
Usenet - that goes back. I used to be active on rec.windsurfing. Now I post here and a little bit on the fifty+ forum at bikeforums.net, and occasionally on health related forums. Like many others here, I stay away from political forums although I follow a handful of political blogs.

Yes, all hobby related;

Motorcycles, audio and home theater

I post on C-D more than on this forum and post some on FB, including a FB site about my hometown that has news on happenings, natural attractions, and history - it is an old western mining town. I also look at Bogleheads about every two weeks just to see if there is anything of interest but never post. Once I retire, I might like to find some good travel forums, cooking forums, etc. but I am not much of a hobby person.

Yes- one that's personal finance, one called Widowedvillage and, now that my travel is picking up, flyertalk. The people on flyertalk know everything about travel- you just have to be careful about not posting something you could find with a Search of the site or they get a bit testy. Widowedvillage is VERY supportive- no matter what you're going through (or not going through), someone else has felt that way, too, and nobody ever gets judgmental about how someone else is handling the death of a spouse.

Not anymore, though I used to. When I was trying to get DW to agree on a travel trailer (she never did) I learned a lot on I think it was RV.net. And when I had a motorcycle I read and posted a bit on a motorcycle forum. DW had no interest in a travel trailer so I eventually gave up on that idea.

I occasionally post on cruise critic . I also read a health forum on pulmonary diseases but I had to stop because a lot of these people were so depressing and negative .

Back
Top Bottom