Does anyone own/use a Greenworks electric mower?

Well, after a couple rounds of mowing I am pretty happy with the Greenworks mower. It's light, which is helpful on some extreme grades I have to navigate. I thought I'd miss the front swivel wheels on the Troy-Bilt, but I can just about pick this mower up and set it down in hard-to-reach spots.

It's also powerful. It hasn't bogged down at any point, even while climbing a hill (of which I have many). The 2 ah battery is good for only about half an hour, but the 4ah covers the ground I need to cover nicely. I think the smaller battery would be a nice fit for smaller appliances like a trimmer or chainsaw.

The one thing that takes some getting used to is the way the self-propelled feature disengages. It takes a second, so you can't just stop and back up; the wheels are locked in drive, and you end up dragging the mower rather than rolling it. I'm finding that the most effective technique is to anticipate the stop while moving forward and disengage the drive while moving. Then, the drive is in neutral when coming to a stop, and it's easy to freewheel it around as needed.

I'll definitely be looking at some other Greenworks power tools, particularly the leaf blower and chainsaw.

We just bought the Greenworks pole saw and it's a A plus...

The next time I'm in the market for a mower, I'll consider an electric self-propelled. Since I already have EGO tools and like them, an EGO mower would be my first choice. I need a full hour of mowing in demanding conditions. I have trouble believing that a single EGO 56V 7.5 Ah battery would be sufficient. I could have two EGO batteries fully charged on mowing day, and then swap out a battery when it gets weak. Thanks for the update! :greetings10:

I already had a few EGO tools, so I purchased the self-propelled EGO mower earlier this summer. Like you, I didn't think the single battery would be sufficient to mower our entire yard, but I took a chance since I already had several batteries on hand. It's an awesome mower. Quiet, light weight, cuts and bags perfectly, and yes, I can do our entire yard in about 50-70 minutes and still have a bit of battery left when I'm finished. It's even easy to fold up the handle and put the mower in the trunk of my Jetta to go mow my mother-in-laws lawn.

https://egopowerplus.com/21-inch-self-propelled-mower-select-cut/

I liked it so much I sold my Honda gas mower, and bought the EGO 18" chainsaw too (selling my Stihl Gas saw).

When you go the cordless electric route, the motors seem to last forever, but the batteries are the weak point. Something to keep in mind: often you can buy a new tool with battery for about the same price as buying just the battery. For example, I have a Ryobi cordless electric mower. I needed a spare battery. I found that I could buy a Ryobi cordless electric chainsaw with battery for about the same price as the battery alone! This worked out great because I was in the market for a new chainsaw anyway. Later I bought their string trimmer & battery, and now I have 3 Ryobi batteries that are interchangeable in all 3 tools and I never run out of battery power.

I have been able to get batteries "re-cored" at Batteries and Bulbs Plus, a local chain store that probably has national distribution. This has been useful, as I can refurbish my 15 year old Dewalt or my 20+ year old Black and Decker cordless drills without much trouble at a lower cost than purchasing replacements. I don't think the batteries last as long as the originals, but they are an affordable replacement and I believe that all of the waste from the old ones is recycled.

When you go the cordless electric route, the motors seem to last forever, but the batteries are the weak point. Something to keep in mind: often you can buy a new tool with battery for about the same price as buying just the battery.

Several of my previous NiMH batteries failed with my first battery tools, but so far I've only had one lithium ion battery fail for my newer Dewalt tools. I consider the battery as a separate item since it can be used with multiple tools. Of course, if you can find a new tool with battery at the same price as the battery alone, it's a no-brainer. That's one of the reasons I have four EGO battery chargers and batteries. :)

I recently bought a new 5AH EGO battery off of Ebay. It was brand new, just part of an open box package. It works great and saved me about 25% compared to a new battery.

The nice thing about battery tools is a new battery is a benefit for ALL tools, not just the tool it comes with. For example, replacing the carburetor on my mower did nothing for my chainsaw.

Back
Top Bottom