Does Gen Z “get it” or is “spoiled and entitled”

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenant13

Full time employment: Posting here.
https://www.businessinsider.com/gen-z-workers-shocked-by-nine-to-five-work-schedule-2023-11

At first glance I thought to myself: “what a spoiled brat”. How dare the young people wish a nicer life for themselves and a better balance between work and play! Don’t they know that the only way to fulfillment is 30-40 years of working, saving, investing and sacrificing your time so you can enjoy your 50s and 60s when you’re no longer “productive”?

We are on the other end of the journey Gen-Z-ers are about to embark on. And we’ve “made it”. But what about our peers who haven’t? Perhaps young people know something we never did.

I suspect when our elders looked back at us in our early 20's, they probably thought we were spoiled and entitled - hippies, protests, sex, drugs, rock&roll, etc. Just as we haven't turned out as we may have expected in our early 20's, there's no guarantee Gen-Z will either.

And it's not as if Boomers are leaving the world a better place than we all came of age - on balance we're most certainly not IMO.

But I am sure some Boomers will tell us they're the better generation...

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-...ain-future-what-we-know-about-gen-z-so-far-2/

In every generation there always have been and always will be some for whom life is something they do and others for whom life is something done to them. Strive to be the former and you will turn out fine.

Last edited:
As the parent of two Gen Z'ers (both having nice jobs) one thing that Gen Z definitely has gotten right is that they don't owe the big corporation their life. They have a healthy skepticism about the traditional rules and methods of the workplace, something that most of us boomers didn't come to realize until we were likely in our 40's or 50's. They will question why they have to come into the office, even if it's only three days a week. They will question lousy health care insurance plans, skimpy vacation days and personal time off allowances.

Rather than stay in a job where they feel their lifestyle is being hampered by their job, they will simply find another job and move on. That's relatively easy in the strong job market right now.

We may have done job jumping in our early 20's but I think this is an attitude that will be with Gen Z'ers throughout their lifetime.

It's easy to look around and see all that wealth and infrastructure, take it all for granted and forget that people worked very hard with long hours to put it all together.

I suspect when our elders looked back at us in our early 20's, they probably thought we were spoiled and entitled - hippies, protests, sex, drugs, rock&roll, etc.

But not all of us! Back in the 60's had a classmate once observe that "everyone of these hippie creeps is one less person that I'll have to compete with for a job in the business world."

Gen Zs, IMO, are looking at countries like Western European countries. They have it pretty good. A month off in August, and 2 weeks for Christmas, not worried about healthcare. The riots in France over the retirement age going from 62 to 64 must seem shocking to us.
Our young people take notice. Nothing to do with laziness. The U.S. focused on working long hours, and less family connection, which is bad for mental health. Everyone under 65 is constantly worried about health care. I don't see this as spoiled or entitled in the least bit.

A lot of the megacorps have improved their work/life balance tremendously and I think that's great. Of course the 20-somethings today will whine if they have to show up to the office certain days or maybe work a little OT. It's whatever you get used to, I guess.

My son-in-law is finishing up his 8 weeks of paternity leave. It's been a huge benefit to my DD and is great for dad and the baby too. When my kids were born, mega-corp didn't mind me taking some time off as long as DW had the baby at night and I was in the office by 8:00am the next morning.

It's easy to look around and see all that wealth and infrastructure, take it all for granted and forget that people worked very hard with long hours to put it all together.

While I do admire the sentiment of a better work/life, I tend to agree. "Born on third base thinking they've hit a triple", not realizing the foundation that was built under them.

IMO, it's all easy as long as things move along forward with little friction. But I do wonder if/when the inertia slows if there'll be a reckoning. I hope not.

We have a couple of nephews pulling in incredible money ($500K+) for 28 year olds, but they seem to spend a lot of time just schmoozing at the coffee shop; I always wonder/fear if the wave will end when they actually have to deliver/produce something useful or profitable.

Last edited:
Gen Zs, IMO, are looking at countries like Western European countries. They have it pretty good. A month off in August, and 2 weeks for Christmas, not worried about healthcare. The riots in France over the retirement age going from 62 to 64 must seem shocking to us.
Our young people take notice. Nothing to do with laziness. The U.S. focused on working long hours, and less family connection, which is bad for mental health. Everyone under 65 is constantly worried about health care. I don't see this as spoiled or entitled in the least bit.

And they may be more willing to pay the taxes to accomplish this, Good for them. I appreciate their questioning, seeking, and budding involvement in politics. It will be interesting to see how things evolve. I have read, but don't remember the article, that Gen Z may be a bigger influence than Boomers.

Every generation has those that strive for success and excel in life. Just as each generation has those that fail at success. Do I think Gen Z has a lot of growing up to do? Yes, they need to learn about working for what you have and climbing your way up. Not getting free stuff and handouts, there is no free lunch.

No sympathy from me, it's called work and being self-reliant. That takes putting up with some way to make income.

But not all of us! Back in the 60's had a classmate once observe that "everyone of these hippie creeps is one less person that I'll have to compete with for a job in the business world."

Darn right!

I loathed being lumped in with other folks of "my generation."

I still view so much focus on "generations" as stereotyping people that really don't mean much.

But then, I'm sure that's what all people of my generation do...

But along the lines of what Gumby said, didn't most of us kind of take for granted telephones, TV and radio, the interstate highway system, the ubiquity of electricity and plumbing, and other things like that? As a few others have said, every generation takes certain things for granted, and older generations always gripe about it. The biggest difference is the rate of change has ramped way up since the Industrial Revolution.

But along the lines of what Gumby said, didn't most of us kind of take for granted telephones, TV and radio, the interstate highway system, the ubiquity of electricity and plumbing, and other things like that? As a few others have said, every generation takes certain things for granted, and older generations always gripe about it. The biggest difference is the rate of change has ramped way up since the Industrial Revolution.

In our lifetimes we've all seen tremendous change and progress. The rate of change is accelerating, but that's because people are working harder and longer. The relationship between work and progress is what people are taking for granted. Younger people expect continued progress with less effort. That's not sustainable.

The average living standard has been rising for over a century, with much of that built on borrowed money. It's not going to be pretty when that money music stops.

Articles that set up a premise of pitting generations, or making generalizations about them, are rarely on the mark or worthy of much of a read. (imo).

If you want accept that this piece is mostly true, have a good look at articles about your generation written by those younger....

Younger people have spent their lives talking online to other young people who feel the same way they do. Thus, they're not as easy for older people to bamboozle into notions of what life "should" look like.

On the other hand, they often seem vulnerable to viral nonsense on the order of "in your parents' day, anybody could get a job right out of high school and buy a house in 2 years." It cracks me up to see the 1970's, a pretty dire time economically, portrayed as some kind of golden age.

https://www.businessinsider.com/gen-z-workers-shocked-by-nine-to-five-work-schedule-2023-11

At first glance I thought to myself: “what a spoiled brat”. How dare the young people wish a nicer life for themselves and a better balance between work and play! Don’t they know that the only way to fulfillment is 30-40 years of working, saving, investing and sacrificing your time so you can enjoy your 50s and 60s when you’re no longer “productive”?

We are on the other end of the journey Gen-Z-ers are about to embark on. And we’ve “made it”. But what about our peers who haven’t? Perhaps young people know something we never did.

Darn right!

I loathed being lumped in with other folks of "my generation."

I still view so much focus on "generations" as stereotyping people that really don't mean much.
Yeah, so true. Someone will be put in one generation, and then someone born a day later with be in another generation, as if they are completely different generations despite being born a day apart.

Also, there's no official beginning/end to these generations. So the same person could be in at least two different generations depending on whose figures they are using. lol

That said, it seems younger people are lazier and feel more entitled these days. The work ethic just isn't there for them.

But for a balanced view, there's always some exceptions, of course. So, I'm not going to paint the entire "generation" as such.

Last edited:
Curmudgeon vs stereotype. Neuralink may be the only way forward ..

Last edited:
One of my late-Y kids is in Europe. Another cousin has been in Paris for a decade. A cousin just moved his family to Portugal. The benefits can be there for sure. Of course the time period is relatively short, but I see the attraction when I visit there.

As they age they'll un-know some things, accept some of what the boomers enjoy.

I enjoy watching attitudes develop and sometimes change among young people. They have choices too.

I have to say that the young people I worked with, and also my college-aged cousins (once removed), are way savvier than I was at their age. Then again, that doesn't take much...

They also understand hard work.

I just wish they wrote better. Many seem to think they can put anything into a sentence, and any sort of sentences into a paragraph, and the reader will "get it" because, after all, the author gets it!

Oh, I LOVE the tired tropes about how easy it supposedly was in the 1970's. For instance, many of these young'uns would probably have a cow if they found out my Mom only paid $54,000 for a house, in 1979. However, the little details they don't understand, is that in those days, interest rates were probably well into the double digits. Plus, you generally had to put 20% down.

So in my Mom's case, that would be $10,800, plus closing costs. So basically, my Mom had to save up the equivalent of paying cash for a brand-new, well-equipped Electra, Ninety-Eight, or New Yorker. That's no small task.

As for the house, it was a modest 2br/1ba, 26x45 rambler with a carport, on about an acre. It was south of Waldorf, MD, which back then was in the sticks. You could get a cheaper house, but then you had to deal with the commute. It was also on well and septic. Most of these young'uns of today would probably turn their nose up at it.

As the saying goes, all depends. I'm sure there are some Gen Z's who feel entitled, yet there are some who are super responsible. No different in my early days.

I remember away in college and remember seeing some dormmates where their parents deposited free spending money in their checking accounts every week so they can enjoy their time away from home while other students had a good ramen noodle diet to survive.

I sometimes think was it better growing up in school during my time or today. Back then there was less. No such thing as an entitled cell phone for tween or teen. But today seems in a way less innocent and more things to worry about too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom