Dog to be put down

bigfoot

Dryer sheet aficionado
It is breaking my heart to have to put down my dog at age 13-1/2 by veterinarian's recommendation. Kidney failure progressed too far. Lost hearing many months ago. Drinks lots of water and incontinent which he seems guilty about. Wanders around aimlessly and gets lost outside. I know it's the right thing to do. Anyway, the thing about it is the older I get, the harder it is to deal with. I think it's because at 79 I'm getting older too and can relate to his demise. Anyone else have thoughts about this?

Yeah, it sucks. All my medium size girls went down about 14 years old. Last one would fall over and not be able to get up. I watched her squat to pee one evening and then she just sat and laid down in the puddle.

That's when I cried my eyes out because that's when I knew I had to do it. Didn't cry a drop when I held her as the doc shot in the juice, but bawled my face wet when I knew I had to do it.

Dearly sorry to hear that, bigfoot.

We lost two senior dogs last year and it sucked. I'm sorry for your loss but it's the right thing to do for your pet. Our last girl's kidneys failed too.

Even when you know it's inevitable that doesn't make it hurt any less.

So sorry that you have to do this. I do not think it is easier when one is younger. At least it was not for me. At age 22 I had to have my dog put down; he was given to me as a puppy when I was 10. That experience is likely a factor why I have not owned a dog since.

As a veterinarian, I hated putting pets to sleep, and I usually had to hide my tears. That said, it is a privilege to be able to relieve suffering in our pets. We don’t treat our people as well for the most part.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. It’s so hard but for the best. I know I cried five years ago when we had to put our beagle down. I miss him still.

There's simply no way to avoid the heart break, no matter your age.

I'm sorry.

So sorry for your pending loss.
It's horrible at any age. Been thru it several times. In fact the last time(2 years ago) we had to do it we decided we would try going without a dog so we could travel more. It lasted 2 months and we had a new 10 week old puppy. We just couldn't be without one.

There is nothing harder to do but no greater gift you can give your dog under these circumstances. So many of us have traveled this road before. My heart goes out to you.

We had to put down our best dog ever a year and a half ago. It was heart wrenching, but dogs live one day at a time and at that point she needed us to deliver her from her lymphoma induced pain. So, think about it as helping your friend one last time, in the only way you can. Sorry.

I am so sorry to read that you and your pooch are going through this. As the dog-mom of a 12 year old pup I know that time will come for me. So sorry.

As I walk and pet my buddy Max everyday, I'm thankful for everyday I have with him. I know one day, he will not be around. Just thinking about saddens me. I treasure every minute with him.

It really sucks when a 4-legged family member is suffering like this. It's a terrible decision to have to make, but consider that it's probably a humane one, and probably one he deserves after being a loyal companion to you for many years. Remember the good years.

Maybe the vet who posted earlier can shed more light on this, but it's always seemed to me that a vet will usually give hints when it's the right decision to let them go. Since yours actually recommended it, there's probably no question. No vet would want to take your dog away from you before it's time.

Sorry for your situation and the heartache. It's never easy, been through it many times over the years. Lost our last dog about 2 months ago. First time in 28 years of marriage and several years before that I am dog-less. I don't like the quiet and lack of a dog around.
Only thing I can add is that it's ok to be safe and cry. The hurt eases with time and the good memories help displace the heartache of current.

I still miss my border collie after many years.

Sad. My condolences.

The hurt passes. It will be replaced by memories when you least expect them...that make you smile and bring you joy.

I've lived with dogs since age 5. Been through a lot of dogs.

So sorry bigfoot, all us dog lovers weep.

BTDT, so sorry. If you want to ease the process for your friend, there are vets who will come to your home to perform euthanasia. The ones I have used have had a knack for calming the pet and consoling the owner.

Thanks for the reminder. I just laid down on the floor with our over 14 yo mutt (corgi mix from a rescue) to give her some attention. Dogs are the epitome of unconditional affection.

While her legs are not as sturdy as they used to be, just say the "W" word and she is a puppy jumping to go out.

Sorry for your situation. It is not easy, but is humane.

My very selfish wish for ours is to go for a nice walk, come home, and have her just fall asleep, forever.

I feel your hurt a tough thing to do. I been there done that too.

BTDT, so sorry. If you want to ease the process for your friend, there are vets who will come to your home to perform euthanasia. The ones I have used have had a knack for calming the pet and consoling the owner.

Our room mate is out doing this as I type. It is a really tough job but rewarding too, people post up so many kind words about his empathy and professional skills.
I am so sorry, bigfoot.

I'm so sorry for you at this time, I have been there too. It is the most painful act of kindness one can do for a beloved pet.

Sorry you’re having to go through this. I had to put down my black lab in July last year. But it was the thing to do as I didn’t want him to suffer. She(vet) cried along with me but we got through it.

Back
Top Bottom