Drones

Got the drone 'bug' back in March of 2020. Purchased a Fimi X8SE 2020. Shortly, after joining some drone FB groups, and watching YTs, I decided to get my FAA Part107 sUAS license, figuring that perhaps at some point I could use it to make some money. Never pursued making money, but just love flying and taking pictures.

Yes, I've used it to inspect neighbor's roofs and checking our gutters :cool:

In 2021, I bought a DJI Air2s, and in 2022, purchased a DJI Mini3.

After being in the drone hobby for ~3 years now, probably the best beginner drone I would recommend would be the DJI SE($299), or DJI Mini2 ($439 bundle at Costco).

Got a Mavic 3 last year. Haven't been able to do a lot with it yet. I travel mostly to national parks where they are not allowed.

Very nice image.

Not being able to fly in many beautiful places, like national parks, is a bummer, but I understand why...

After being in the drone hobby for ~3 years now, probably the best beginner drone I would recommend would be the DJI SE($299), or DJI Mini2 ($439 bundle at Costco).

Agreed!

I would like to fly one over my valley and up to the mountain top. Probably would lose it the first time! YMMV

Bought one a few years back just to play with and get some video from our camping places. Less than $100... Its been sitting collecting dust.

THANKS A LOT FOLKS.....
I had mostly used my drone to get video overview shots from different camping adventures.. The last time it flew was before COVID.. Well I decided to pull it out, knock the dust off and get it ready for our daughter's wedding during a camping trip in about a month... Battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than a minute or 2 of flight, but was getting better with each recharge... but the control was a little erratic...
I got it up about 100 ft and it kept side slipping... then no longer responded.. and is now hanging in a tree someplace out in the woods behind the house... :facepalm:

So after a few days of looking, both at new and for my old one...
AMAZON to the rescue... Holy Stone HS 720G should be here tomorrow. :dance:

THANKS A LOT FOLKS.....
I had mostly used my drone to get video overview shots from different camping adventures.. The last time it flew was before COVID.. Well I decided to pull it out, knock the dust off and get it ready for our daughter's wedding during a camping trip in about a month... Battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than a minute or 2 of flight, but was getting better with each recharge... but the control was a little erratic...
I got it up about 100 ft and it kept side slipping... then no longer responded.. and is now hanging in a tree someplace out in the woods behind the house... :facepalm:

I like that story!!! Lol

I've got a Mavic Air 2 that I use in conjunction with other photography.

DJI_0239.jpg

Attachments

• DJI_0261-2.jpg
    DJI_0261-2.jpg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 38
THANKS A LOT FOLKS.....

Well dang! Sorry to hear you lost your drone, but is sounds like you probably needed a new one anyway. Now you have a month to go out and practice and sharpen your skills with the new drone before the wedding and camping trip.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

THANKS A LOT FOLKS.....

Please let us know how the Holy Stone performs. Thanks.

Please let us know how the Holy Stone performs. Thanks.

So far Im very impressed with it. The video is very stable, and love being able to adjust the camera angle while in flight.

Was thinking of a drone for boating adventures. I see some have a "return to home" function. What I really need is "return to where I am now" function. In other words, home in on the controller, not the launch point. Where it launched would be open water by the time it got back there.

Anyone know what that feature is called?

Chase pigeons from nesting under my solar panels every summer.

Once I hear the dreaded "cuu cuu cuu.. " sound I start up the drone and run them off.

They create quite a mess and once they establish they come back every year with off spring .

So far Im very impressed with it. The video is very stable, and love being able to adjust the camera angle while in flight.

I think everyone would love to hear the story of fly-fishing drone. Lol

That is a great idea of a drone video from the wedding. We had our son's wedding a year ago Sept. 18th and was in a country church and some drone shots would have been very cool.

I think everyone would love to hear the story of fly-fishing drone. Lol

We will be at the campground next weekend and will get some practice flights in. Its a State Park and have an Ampitheater we have rented for the wedding...We have also rented most of the 25 campsites.. Its gonna be EPIC.

So our local river is has a hydro power dam, trout above the lake, warm water stuff below. When not generating the river below is almost still and has some great pools to fish. So Ill take the kayak and paddle around and almost always catch a bunch... Yup thats right I Fly fish sitting in a kayak...
So I hear a car pull in and this lady walks over and watching me for a few minutes and walks back to her car... a few minutes later I hear this buzzing noise.. shes launched her drone and starts flying around. On one of my back casts she got to close and the drone proceeds to wrap in my line and slash down...I pull the drone in and start over to her and
KAREN GOES NUTS
She starts screaming and yelling telling me I now owe her a thousand bucks.. I toss her the drone and start paddling away... She keeps stomping around, wanting my information starts throwing rocks and sticks..... AND THEN CALLS THE COPS...
About 15 minutes later in pulls the Game Warden... She starts her tirate on him... wanting me arrested... and to pay for her drone... So He calls me over gets my side of the story...
Then he goes back to her .... Damn, I thought she was bad before...
She goes absolutely ballistic... to the point he called for back-up...
He threatened to write her a ticket for harassing me and told her she had to pay me $55 for my damaged fly line.... (I declined that)
He pulled the video card out and said it looked like she was purposely interfering with my fishing.....

Oh, that is quite a story. Lol

Thanks, Old Medic for sharing that.

Chase pigeons from nesting under my solar panels every summer.

I did see a video of a guy getting rid of wasps with his drone. When he would fly it near them they would come out and attack the drone the props were no match for them.

I'm now thinking of getting the DJI Mini 2 with 2 batteries and 4K camera for $439

cyber888 - For the price that's a great drone. I haven't seen one better for under $500.

Back
Top Bottom