Dryuary

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So who all is in? Per normal habit I'll do without any alcohol in January - entertaining seeing just how easy or hard it is to change habits. Anyone else doing something similar after a month or so of perhaps some overindulgence? Or just for fun?

I haven't had alcohol for almost 2 years so no big deal. Good luck to ya.

I'm in, but for selfish reasons. I fell off the keto wagon for the last half of the year. I put on some weight, and my numbers are pretty out of whack. I've never been a New Year's resolution type, but it works out conveniently this time. Back to LCHF, IF, and throw in no alcohol, and hopefully in a few months I'll be at least back to where I was. Oh yeah, I've got to start walking too, which sucks since we're not in FL this winter. I already missed starting today since it was cold and raining. But I'll get there.

I may smoke a little pot, though.

Last edited:
What's the point? It seems to me like some sort of follow-the-crowd fad. I enjoy a beer or wine with dinner, why would I restrict myself? Of the studies I've read (I ignore the rest!), a drink or two a day seems to be positively correlated with good health. Why risk it?

Now that you mention it, I'm going to the tap to pour myself an Oat Stout.

-ERD50

I drink a dram of scotch 2-3 nights a week and wish you well with dryuary. I was a little concerned that retirement might be an uptick in my drinking but the opposite is true so far. I spent 1/2 my adult life (my time at work) in "Dry camps", so I'm no stranger to abstinence. Working remote in "dry camps" definitely helped some of my work peers who had obvious alcohol problems while away from work.

I hit the vaporizer or chew a 5mg gummi a couple times a week now, which is fantastic after 25 years on a mandatory, zero tolerance random UA test schedule :dance:

Sometimes I go a month or so alcohol free without planning to do so, so I might go January without alcohol. I don't foresee any beer tastings with friends in the near future, but if one comes up I will have to partake.

ETA - I will make a conscious effort to fix my diet after a month or two of binge eating with no exercise. I can feel my weight is up and I need to correct it.

Last edited:
I am in Ronstars camp. Add an exception for NYD's sparkling with lunch, and I see myself on the wagon for a good bit.

Ditching alcohol, no big deal. My nemesis is cookies! I've got a pack a day habit. Gave them up for lent a few times in the past.

I'm in, but for selfish reasons. I fell off the keto wagon for the last half of the year. I put on some weight, and my numbers are pretty out of whack. I've never been a New Year's resolution type, but it works out conveniently this time. Back to LCHF, IF, and throw in no alcohol, and hopefully in a few months I'll be at least back to where I was. Oh yeah, I've got to start walking too, which sucks since we're not in FL this winter. I already missed starting today since it was cold and raining. But I'll get there.

I'm in Florida and I've missed my walk the last two days because of rain.
It's raining today and the the weatherman said we will get 4.5"! I do have a building I can go to and walk 4 flights of stairs several times. I need to get back on LCHF myself, I lost 24 lbs on it, stopped and gained 15lbs back. Ended a 4 day fast on Wednesday, my longest. Measured a Glucose level of 65 and Ketones of 5.2. Keto starts today, got to do it, starting with my latest favorite breakfast, 1- diced avocado, 2-soft boiled eggs, 2-chopped Thai peppers, and about 1 Tbls of soy sauce (or to taste). I chop all this into a mush and spoon eat it. It seems a little strange, but I love it!
And it's very Keto friendly.

Dryuary is my plan too, and beyond. I found myself drinking more due to boredom with COVID (no social life). DS never drinks and DH barely does. It will also help with the keto reset as well. I've been low carb since June 2019, but carbs gradually have been creeping in a bit. I need to finish the weight loss journey I started and stalled.

I have fallen off the Intermittent Fasting, keto wagon since Thanksgiving. I regained 5 pounds.

I find I have to be fairly regimented the first few weeks of carb cutting, so cutting out alcohol and many other carbs for at least the next month, probably longer.

Maybe next year.....:LOL:

Harley I am with you there. I stayed (dirty) keto but stopped logging my food on myfitnesspal this past summer and extended my eating window too much and was eating too many nuts, keto treats from Costco, etc. After losing 110 lbs from summer 2019 through May 2020 I gained back 35 over the last 7 months. Now back on track and actually starting the year doing a 72 hour fast to get back into hard ketosis. Last drink was in October so doing a dry January as well. I don't smoke pot but like the THC caps I can get here legally. Mellow buzz, just a relaxed, calm, amused feeling and I sleep like a baby and no hangover.

Lots of snacking in late 2020. Cutting down for 2021. No snack last night and did miss it a little, but slept better.

Sure, didn't do nothing for November so a dry January is fine. Actually we haven't had any alcohol the past 3 months and I sleep so much better.

I have been improving my cannibis enhanced chocolate truffles and enjoy them more. I need to watch my saturated fat intake because of them.

Ahh, no. Fine spirits to me are like truffles or EVOO to a foodie.

Just last night I had 2 doubles of 12 year old demerara rum from Guyana. So smooth and tasty it didn't even last long enough for the ice cube to melt the first time...

I think I'll sit in my wingback in front of the fire tonight and do it again !

We consumed half a bottle of wine for NYE, so we will probably finish the bottle within the week. Would hate for it to go to waste. Then I could easily see us not drinking alcohol for the rest of the month.

Are you kidding? This is "Lit by Lunch" month.

Ditching alcohol, no big deal. My nemesis is cookies!

I can relate to that, only my addiction is chocolate mint ice cream. It's so bad that I don't allow myself to walk down that aisle in the grocery store anymore.

I'm doing this, in fact started early December. So far, feeling good, losing weight, and saving money. I also hope to improve my immune system. I do miss getting a buzz but benefits are well worth it so far.

What's the point? It seems to me like some sort of follow-the-crowd fad. I enjoy a beer or wine with dinner, why would I restrict myself? Of the studies I've read (I ignore the rest!), a drink or two a day seems to be positively correlated with good health.

+1

Since light/moderate amounts of drinking (especially red wine) are associated with longevity, and since I am not an alcoholic, and since I don't engage in risky drinking behaviors, I see no reason to abstain for an entire month. So, as there is no problem to be solved, I will carry on enjoying some fine wine with dinner a few nights a week.

I’m thinking about more of a digital detox, or at least paring back apps. Not ER Forum though.

I’m thinking about more of a digital detox, or at least paring back apps. Not ER Forum though.

I have been paring back my social media use. Been about 5 days so far so good. Now to scale back on news.

Back
Top Bottom