Dyson Supersonic hair dryer?

someguy

Full time employment: Posting here.
Has anyone used or purchased a Dyson Supersonic hair dryer? I'm curious about any experiences with this $400(!) device. It seems all the online reviews may be shills.

I got it for my wife, and though we are very frugal - she loves it. She was surprised at how much better it was.

It's hard to say frugal, when we got this......but, it was a splurge for me to surprise her last year for Xmas

It's hard to say frugal, when we got this......but, it was a splurge for me to surprise her last year for Xmas

Thanks for your feedback. I have to admit, $400 does seem ridiculous for a hair dryer!

If your wife ever has bad hair days, she wants this dryer. It is simply the fastest easiest way to get consistent results.

I went one better, and got the Dyson Airwrap dryer which comes with attachments for curling (don't use) or straightening (use all the time). Another $100 or so.

If it breaks tomorrow I will go right back out and get another one without even looking at cheaper alternatives. I have long hair that is a disaster if it dries naturally, and looks nice when I put in a lot of effort, most of the time. With this dryer, my effort is significantly reduced, and most becomes all.

Can the Airwrap function as a "normal" hair dryer and not just a curler/straightener? Thanks for your feedback!

If your wife ever has bad hair days, she wants this dryer. It is simply the fastest easiest way to get consistent results.

I went one better, and got the Dyson Airwrap dryer which comes with attachments for curling (don't use) or straightening (use all the time). Another $100 or so.

If it breaks tomorrow I will go right back out and get another one without even looking at cheaper alternatives. I have long hair that is a disaster if it dries naturally, and looks nice when I put in a lot of effort, most of the time. With this dryer, my effort is significantly reduced, and most becomes all.

Can the Airwrap function as a "normal" hair dryer and not just a curler/straightener? Thanks for your feedback!

Yes, the default attachment is a regular hair dryer. I use this to get my hair from wet/damp to damp/dry, then I attach one of the comb/brush attachments to finish and style a bit.

I haven't looked since they came out but I think you can get it with wrap+curl, or wrap+straight, or wrap+curl+straighten.

I went for the whole kit because why not at that point...

Eta: pretty sure the dyson site has some videos showing it in practice, or they used to.

Last edited:
How does this dryer differ from your typical $40 hair dryer? Is there some new technology in it?

Wirecutter recommends it as their upgrade pick: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-hair-dryer/

If you have a lot (a lot!) of cash to spend on a dryer, you might consider the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer. It has consistently been our favorite to use since we first tested it in 2016. With airflow at 70 mph and a temperature of 150 °F, it doesn’t dry hair any faster than our [regular] pick (it’s also a touch heavier), but the Supersonic is more pleasant to use in almost every way due to its unique design. The motor sits in the handle, making the nozzle shorter and easier to maneuver. The handle doesn’t vibrate at all, which wasn’t true of other “luxury” models we tested. It has a nice, long, 9-foot cord, its noise is less grating than that of other dryers, and it comes with two magnetically attaching concentrators and a diffuser, all of which are exceptionally easy to add and remove mid-blowout.

How does this dryer differ from your typical $40 hair dryer? Is there some new technology in it?

If you consider the difference between a regular upright vacuum and a dyson stick, it's like that.

For hair, it's using their same type of wind tunnel tech, it's faster and hotter but won't burn your hair. There are professional dryers that go even hotter, and are also $200 plus, but not as easy to use for someone doing their own hair.

This thing makes it easy to get the look that women pay $40 for a single blow out.

If you're a guy, or a woman with easy hair, or short hair, or doesn't care much, it's not worth it. If you've never even bothered with a flat iron or a curling iron, pass.

But, if you're a woman who has always wrestled with her hair, it's worth a look.

Has anyone used or purchased a Dyson Supersonic hair dryer? I'm curious about any experiences with this $400(!) device. It seems all the online reviews may be shills.

Bolding mine.

Ya think? I'd think they'd all be running to their doctors to treat the ruptured eardrums from the sonic booms.

Put another vote in the worth it category. SO loved it. Then I took a risk and did the real test -- I told her how much it cost knowing that she is very price conscious. She kept it.

"It has a nice, long, 9-foot cord"

The best quality blow dryer I ever had was a Conair Black Bird. I think the box said it was for professional use only. It had a longer than average cord that was always snagging the bathroom faucet handles while in use, so beware the long cord.

Last edited:
Does the air velocity exceed Mach 1 anywhere in the hair dryer? I suspect not; not even close. It's Marketing trickery, and that's upsetting. But, that doesn't mean it's not a great hair dryer.

It'd be a good way to blow that dough!

Last edited:
Question for owners/users:

I have straight hair, medium-thick density, in good condition. Current length is a few inches past my shoulders.

After towel-drying, I usually blow-dry my hair (~12-15 min.) and then, using a flat iron, shape it/style it. (<5 min.)

I would love to reduce the time it takes to blow-dry it.

Previous blowdryers that claimed to reduce the drying time, did so...but the higher velocity actually created knots/snags/tangles in my hair which took a while to comb/brush out. I had major concerns that these dryers would cause endless damage, so I returned them.

I'm unfamiliar withe Dyson's dryer. Do you think their dryer would work to dry my hair 1) quickly and 2) damage-free or possibly 3) cause knots/snarls/tangles like I'd previously experienced with high velocity dryers?

omni

Previous blowdryers that claimed to reduce the drying time, did so...but the higher velocity actually created knots/snags/tangles in my hair which took a while to comb/brush out. I had major concerns that these dryers would cause endless damage, so I returned them.

Now that you mention it, when I am using the dryer-only without attachments, or without brushing at the same time, I have noticed a few tangles form in the ends from time to time. My hair is Med/Thin, and quite long, so this happens with most dryers if I'm not being careful. And only little nots at the ends which are easier just to snip out in my case. Not a daily or weekly thing, but not none.

For me the speed thing is nice, but not the main attraction.

Back
Top Bottom