E-bike (peddler, no throttle) insurance?

No900SS

Confused about dryer sheets
I am trying to insure our E-bikes, 2 mountain bikes and 1 road bike with CSAAA, with whom we have all our policies.

I have been informed they do not insure e-mountain bikes. Does anyone have experience with Velosurance or Markel Insurance?

Are you really a peddler or a pedaler? These are very different.

What do you mean "no throttle" - I thought the definition of an e-bike was a bike with an electric motor

What do you mean "no throttle" - I thought the definition of an e-bike was a bike with an electric motor

They do make e-bikes that are pedal assist only (and no throttle). That is, there is a motor, but to activate it you have to pedal. There are settings as to how much pedal assist you get. If full assist then you are not having to pedal much and it uses more battery. If low assist then you need to provide more manual pedaling and it does not use as much battery.

Many e-bikes have both pedal assist and a throttle.

My class 3 e-bike has a throttle. I barely use it, though. I'm always pedaling, never peddling.

Bunch of smart Alecs, I like it! “Peddler” is the IPhone auto-correct version of pedelec.

Now that I am known to be not a peddler but a pedaler on a pedelec, any insurance suggestions? Our bikes are class 1 and class 3 with no throttles.

Thanks!

Bunch of smart Alecs, I like it! “Peddler” is the IPhone auto-correct version of pedelec.

Now that I am known to be not a peddler but a pedaler on a pedelec, any insurance suggestions? Our bikes are class 1 and class 3 with no throttles.

Thanks!

Seriously, what are you trying to insure for? If they get stolen? Accident? I’ve never heard of insuring a bicycle. Is it considered a motorcycle because it has a motor? Does it require a license/registration?

I've seen Velosurance and Markel both mention by e-bike users who have purchased those. Some people were able to add the e-bike to their homeowner's insurance. I don't insure mine since I never leave it anywhere except in my house.

Are you talking about some form of liability insurance? I wonder because you mentioned the throttle and I've seen people with throttle e-bikes riding like Maniacs with the potential for injuring pedestrians and causing all sorts of accidents. That's just the way people are I'm not making any statement. I've also been guilty of riding too fast with my pedal bike, but I have reigned that in.

Are you talking about some form of liability insurance? I wonder because you mentioned the throttle and I've seen people with throttle e-bikes riding like Maniacs with the potential for injuring pedestrians and causing all sorts of accidents. That's just the way people are I'm not making any statement. I've also been guilty of riding too fast with my pedal bike, but I have reigned that in.

I see this every morning at sunrise when I go out to ride. I don't know how fast they are going but some can keep up with the cars in the neighborhood that go 25+mph. It isn't just bicycles but also those one-wheel fat tire "skateboards that are become popular. I never see any of these mostly kids and 20 somethings pedaling.
I understand the attraction for places that have hills or for people that have physical limitations but I'm not a fan. Too many people are abusing the privilege of using the roads and endangering other cyclists and pedestrians.

Cheers!

Never considered insuring our ebikes just like I never considered insuring any other bike I've ever owned. What are you trying to insure against? Loss? Theft? liability? Collision?

Our bikes do not have throttles; if we aren't pedaling we aren't moving, unless we're going downhill. Two of the bikes are assist limited to 20mph (mountain bikes), the other to 28mph.

I am trying to insure them against loss, whether through theft or damage, while on the car rack or on the road or trail.

The bikes are stored indoors, and are never out of sight if the car is parked with them on the rack. It is not unheard of for bikes to be stolen from racks or pickup truck beds while stopped in traffic, even if secured with a lock of some type.

Our bikes range in price (retail) from $5,000.00 to $10,500.00, and AAA insurance, with whom we have all our insurance policies do not cover e-mountain bikes. Two of our e-bikes fall into this category.

It is looking like Velosurance is my only option at this point.

I see this every morning at sunrise when I go out to ride. I don't know how fast they are going but some can keep up with the cars in the neighborhood that go 25+mph. It isn't just bicycles but also those one-wheel fat tire "skateboards that are become popular. I never see any of these mostly kids and 20 somethings pedaling.
I understand the attraction for places that have hills or for people that have physical limitations but I'm not a fan. Too many people are abusing the privilege of using the roads and endangering other cyclists and pedestrians.

Cheers!

One of those big-wheeled stand-up unicycle things was keeping pace with me in my car at 40mph last week!

Seriously, what are you trying to insure for? If they get stolen? Accident? I’ve never heard of insuring a bicycle. Is it considered a motorcycle because it has a motor? Does it require a license/registration?

No license or registration are required for our e-bikes (pedelec).

Back
Top Bottom