Early photographs of the American West

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Great pictures. It would interesting to see if someone goes back and rephotographs them from the same perspective. John Fielder went back to where W.H. Jackson took pictures in Colorado to see how things changed in 100 years (a long time in the US).

Thanks, MichaelB,

DW and I have always been fascinated by the Old West and have traveled extensively in the West. We have been to some of the places depicted in the pictures. Here's two of our pictures from the Canyon De Chelly National Monument. Note cliff dwellings in second picture.

Attachments

• 100_0920.jpg
    100_0920.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_0923.jpg
    100_0923.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 8
Magnificent photographs, thank you for sharing, Michael. It's amazing to think that was over 140 years ago!

I really must explore the Southwest........

Great pictures MichaelB. I like that O'Sullivan didn't ask the natives to wear ceremonial dress, instead capturing them as they were. A few of the shots feel almost candid, which is fairly unusual for the period.

Thank you for posting. It is odd to think that the world depicted in those images has completely disappeared, yet it seems quite close when looking at them.

Fascinating, especially considering the difficulties of travel. They were made of stern stuff.

So cool! I recognized some of these places right away!

I floated a portion of the Green River in Utah and visited an inscription that was carved exactly 173 years to the date of our visit. I thought that was pretty cool to be there on the same day.

3 Mai

Back
Top Bottom