Moto G camera taking unwanted photos of people

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a 2022 Moto G 5G phone, whose camera has been snapping photos of people before anybody is ready, including the photographer (no button is pressed).

It only does this when someone tries to take photo of people - not landscapes, interiors, animals etc. It's incredibly annoying to people trying to take my photo, and also to me when I try to take a selfie. The photos are a mess - people don't even have time to smile, let alone pose, before "click click click."

Restarting the camera has no effect. I have been all over the phone settings and searched Google to learn if this is an actual function, which I can turn off. Nothing has turned up. I hope it's not a glitch, as this is a new phone.

Thanks for your help!

I've had that phone, as I'm on at least my third Moto G. That has to be a glitch, I've never had anything like that happen. If it's that new, can you get it replaced?

When I use mobile deposit on my iPhone, it will automatically take the picture when the check is properly positioned. Might be a similar type of setting.

Check this (it's not default, but anyway...):

https://en-us.support.motorola.com/...tter,-gesture-&-metadata-settings---moto-g-5g

"Use smile detection
You can have the camera automatically take a photo when it detects a smile.

For groups of two to five people, your camera will only take a photo when all detected faces are smiling.
On the viewfinder, touch Settings
Turn Auto smile capture on
You'll see on the viewfinder."

For some reason, this thread reminds me of the movie "Christine." Based on the novel of the same name by Stephen King.

I have this phone. For one, it does not do NFC. When I purchased it, I knew this, but did not care. Now that I am learning about Google Pay, I wish it had it.

Second issue. Occasionally, it will stop talking to me. For example, someone calls and it doesn't ring. Or, when I am using Google Maps for navigation, it doesn't tell me "Turn left in .2 miles" or whatever the next turn is. Sometimes a restart will fix. Other times nothing will fix. Yes, I have checked every setting. Unless you know of a real deep one.

I turned off smile detection, which I was sorry to do, as I think it's a good feature. It seems to have helped, although someone took my photo today and instead of clicking once, it clicked 4 times and took 4 shots. But at least it waited till she pressed the white button...

Check this (it's not default, but anyway...):

https://en-us.support.motorola.com/...tter,-gesture-&-metadata-settings---moto-g-5g

"Use smile detection
You can have the camera automatically take a photo when it detects a smile.

For groups of two to five people, your camera will only take a photo when all detected faces are smiling.
On the viewfinder, touch Settings
Turn Auto smile capture on
You'll see on the viewfinder."

I turned off smile detection, which I was sorry to do, as I think it's a good feature. It seems to have helped, although someone took my photo today and instead of clicking once, it clicked 4 times and took 4 shots. But at least it waited till she pressed the white button...

I have learned from the GenZ's to purposely take multiple shots - it's called Burst - you just hold the button longer and it takes several, so it's far easier to pick the good one after and delete the rest. For shots of people, it's a great way to go so you can find the one shot where everyone smiled and had their eyes open at the same moment.

I have learned from the GenZ's to purposely take multiple shots - it's called Burst - you just hold the button longer and it takes several, so it's far easier to pick the good one after and delete the rest. For shots of people, it's a great way to go so you can find the one shot where everyone smiled and had their eyes open at the same moment.

I also have "burst mode" turned on by default in my camera app, I'm using GCam on a non-Pixel phone. @Amethyst, have you tried other camera apps on your Moto G to see if it behaves the same?

I'm on my third Moto G phone. I've been very satisfied with this line. It's a good compromise between the top-of-the-line $$$ phones, and the cheap range.

On my newest one, the camera hardware and app are surprisingly good for a not-top-tier phone. I'm still learning to use all the camera options.

Burst mode is not a new thing. Photographers have known since the days of 35mm film that the way to take a good picture is to take a lot of pictures and hope that one of them turns out good. Back then it was expensive to do that. Now it costs nothing, unless you count the value of your time, going through to delete all the bad ones. And you have to make time to do that or you'll quickly become overwhelmed.

We've had Motorola Moto cellphones for many years... 3 different models... G, G4 Play and G7 Play.

And while I like the Moto and have recommended them to others, last November Best Buy offered Google Pixel 6a for $299 and I decided to upgrade. Best cellphone that I have ever owned and an upgrade over the Moto.

We've had Motorola Moto cellphones for many years... 3 different models... G, G4 Play and G7 Play.

And while I like the Moto and have recommended them to others, last November Best Buy offered Google Pixel 6a for $299 and I decided to upgrade. Best cellphone that I have ever owned and an upgrade over the Moto.

I've got the M G Power and I am happy with it after two years of use. But I have wondered about the Pixel line as an upgrade. Why do you like it better than the M phones you have had? Is yours 5G with wireless charging?

Maybe trade in the phone for an iPhone and join the crowd?

Sorry, you probably did not want to hear that idea. But when DS said "it just works" he was right. Yeah, that must have come from an ad line. ;)

Ha ha - this reminds me of when I posted about the CD player not working on my previous car, and someone responded "You probably need to buy a new car."

Maybe trade in the phone for an iPhone and join the crowd?

S)

Our 2004 Honda still plays some CD's because I bought a unit to replace the broken CD player.

:)

I've got the M G Power and I am happy with it after two years of use. But I have wondered about the Pixel line as an upgrade. Why do you like it better than the M phones you have had? Is yours 5G with wireless charging?

Me too, and was tempted, but since I got a Moto G Stylus 5G for ~$45 including 1500 min talk & text. I went with that.

In 2 months I'll unlock it and swap in my T-mobile sim.

Hard to beat $45 for a 5G phone.

Me too, and was tempted, but since I got a Moto G Stylus 5G for ~$45 including 1500 min talk & text. I went with that.

In 2 months I'll unlock it and swap in my T-mobile sim.

Hard to beat $45 for a 5G phone.

Mine's still a 4 G phone.

Faster, better screen and simpler.

5G but not wireless charging but that can be added... I did it for a while and it stopped working and I havent bothered to fix it.

Last edited:
I've had a couple Moto G phones and they were ok until I needed wifi calling. Surprisingly it wasn't available on Moto phones. So I switched back to Samsung.

Faster, better screen and simpler.

5G but not wireless charging but that can be added... I did it for a while and it stopped working and I havent bothered to fix it.

And it's prettier. DH got one of those on a good deal this summer (i think even $199?) but they are gone now, the 7 is barely a better deal than the 9 via the google fi store.

Oh I think it's more waterproof too. The Moto G is not. Don't ask me how I know...

Last edited:
I've had a couple Moto G phones and they were ok until I needed wifi calling. Surprisingly it wasn't available on Moto phones. So I switched back to Samsung.

Maybe it's the carrier? My last 3 Moto phones were all on Google Fi service, which supports WiFi calling. I've also used apps like Google Voice, which uses VoIP.

Back
Top Bottom