Electric Car That Runs on Air & Water

interesting. I'm not sure about using drinking water for fuel. That's worse than using food (corn) for fuel. Could they use contaminated water?

Actually my first response was that if they needed hot air to run the car, we all could be assigned a politician to ride with us:dance:

Oh great! These things will consume all of our air and water leaving us gasping for breath while we die of thirst. This is worse than converting corn to fuel. :rolleyes:

I'm going to order one as soon as it hits production. :rolleyes:

I just wish I could invest now.

Last edited:
Interesting concept, perhaps there will be more in the news soon on this car.

I think there is talk about developing a rickshaw like car that is pulled along by a team of algae.

Last edited:
I think there is talk about developing a rickshaw like car that is pulled along by a team of algae.

I already saw one of those on sponge bob. :ermm:

Regarding this car, The production version will need an excellent lock on the battery compartment, as the recycle price of aluminum is bound to be high (I know..details, details).

Well, air, water, grid power to recharge a set of LiIon cells, and the oxidation of aluminum in a set of primary cells. That's sort of key.

It takes a lot of electricity to convert aluminum oxide into metallic aluminum, which is why aluminum refiners are often located near cheap power, like the Columbia River hydroelectric plants. The video is pretty good at glossing over the aluminum primary cells. The water used is merely to top up the electrolyte as the discharge reaction progresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium–air_battery

I already saw one of those on sponge bob. :ermm:

Regarding this car, The production version will need an excellent lock on the battery compartment, as the recycle price of aluminum is bound to be high (I know..details, details).
Is there elaboration on how to, safely, cheaply and without impact on the environment, to dispose of those batteries?

Last edited:
Forget it.
As we all know, the big oil companies will buy the patents and keep it off the market forever. Just like they did with the 200 MPG carburetors back in the 60s.

WAAAAAHH!!! I'm never going to get my flying car!

Is there elaboration on how to, safely, cheaply and without impact on the environment, to dispose of those batteries?

Pop 'em out, and ship back to the nearest neighborhood aluminum refiner. They're primary cells, not rechargeable, so they'll have to go back through the materials chain.

Did anyone catch the name of the company? Finergy? (edit - it is "Phinergy) I couldn't get any hits on google.

Like M Paquette mentions, the key seems to be the depletion of Aluminum, which is extremely energy intensive to produce. I'd like to see just how that factors into the over-all energy picture. But the fact that they are pushing 'runs on air and water' and didn't provide any specific energy/mile figures probably tells me all I need to know.

I'd love to be proven wrong and we find out that this is some great advancement in using energy more efficiently, but I'm one step ahead of Charlie Brown, and I've had the football pulled away too many times to expect that it will be 'different this time'.

-ERD50

Last edited:
That's facinating.

I wonder how clean the water has to be for the thing to work without messing up the battery. For example, during a rainstorm, if one stored the water, can you then filler up with that water?

Interesting, but I won't be holding my breath.
I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Currently I prefer the convenience of plugging in over refilling while I am out and about.

I wonder how clean the water has to be for the thing to work without messing up the battery. For example, during a rainstorm, if one stored the water, can you then filler up with that water?

I doubt it will matter, as I doubt these will hit production.

Looking at the link MP posted, studies have shown these batteries in a vehicle to be only marginally more energy efficient than current ICE. They do have the advantage of the longer time between 'fill ups' than other EVs, but that doesn't even get them on par with an ICE - no real excitement there.

Oh, was there a mention anywhere of the projected cost of the battery? And think about refilling water every 125 miles (though you could mostly do that at home)? What about keeping that from freezing in cold weather?

If you think about it, present batteries are very efficient with their charge/discharge cycles, so efficiency isn't the problem, there is little room for improvement there. So this really can't be significantly more efficient over other EVs.

Like most of these things, there seem to be more questions than answers.

-ERD50

Well, air, water, grid power to recharge a set of LiIon cells, and the oxidation of aluminum in a set of primary cells. That's sort of key.

It takes a lot of electricity to convert aluminum oxide into metallic aluminum, which is why aluminum refiners are often located near cheap power, like the Columbia River hydroelectric plants. The video is pretty good at glossing over the aluminum primary cells. The water used is merely to top up the electrolyte as the discharge reaction progresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium–air_battery

Gee you engineering types take all the fun out of these things. What's next telling me that cold fusion isn't around the corner :D

Gee you engineering types take all the fun out of these things. What's next telling me that cold fusion isn't around the corner :D

We just need the UN to announce a "Suspend the Laws of Physics [-]Day[/-] Decade". Then we could all be so happy with our zero-pollution, zero-energy everythings! ;)

-ERD50

We just need the UN to announce a "Suspend the Laws of Physics [-]Day[/-] Decade". Then we could all be so happy with our zero-pollution, zero-energy everythings! ;)

-ERD50

Great idea, I am channeling all my Karmic energy into "Suspend the Laws of Physics Decade". I am bit worried about getting rid of gravity. I think we need a UN committee to study the issue and make a recommendation. :LOL:

Don't worry about gravity, there is none, the earth $ucks.:D

Just remember the laws of physics (nature) are made by nature not scientists. Scientists only posit theorems, and they stand a bit until debunked by nature.

Last edited:

Of course not, cold fusion IS just around the corner. Just as it was 'just around the corner' yesterday, last month, last year, last decade...
And it will be 'just around the corner' tomorrow, next month, next year, next decade...

Of course not, cold fusion IS just around the corner. Just as it was 'just around the corner' yesterday, last month, last year, last decade...
And it will be 'just around the corner' tomorrow, next month, next year, next decade...

I saw Cold Fusion play one night right around the corner in a bar.

Back
Top Bottom