Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

Wow!

I've put 22 miles on it and it's all new to me, but I am figuring it out. I have paired my phone, opened a My Chevrolet account to manage the car, had a chat with the OnStar lady (I'm not convinced I need this stuff though).

I was less than impressed with the My Chevy app and OnStar - especially once they wanted to charge me a monthly fee for access. Nope.

Where's the spare tire? :facepalm:

My spare was at the salvage yard. :) Bolt pattern is 5-105, compact spare from a Chevy Cruise, Trax or Buick Encore will fit. Note you should only use the compact spare on the rear, not the front due to size differential.

I was less than impressed with the My Chevy app and OnStar - especially once they wanted to charge me a monthly fee for access. Nope.

My spare was at the salvage yard. :) Bolt pattern is 5-105, compact spare from a Chevy Cruise, Trax or Buick Encore will fit. Note you should only use the compact spare on the rear, not the front due to size differential.

I don't plan on signing on for a monthly fee either. I see no use and I can do what they provide with my Android phone. I can call roadside assistance if needed. And I have Waze for maps. Plus, this will be a local car anyway.

Thanks for the wheel bolt pattern. Saved me searching and I can get a spare from one of the local yards here, I am sure.

Out of curiosity, I looked to see about prices and availability of the Bolt, and learned there were the Bolt EV and Bolt EUV. Pricewise, after the $7.5K tax deduction, these are very competitive with ICE cars of the same class, or perhaps even lower cost than the latter.

It looks like these make a very good commuter car. I would prefer these to the Tesla 3 which is more expensive, if I were still working. I like to seat higher than in a sedan. A drawback I can see is the lack of fast charging. The best you can do is to put 100 miles of range to the Bolt in 1/2 hour. If you don't go cross-country and just drive around town and charge at home, it's a decent EV.

I was intrigued to see SuperCruise being available, but the price of this option is $2.2K. And in addition you need to pay $25/month after the first 3 years for OnStar service.

I wonder if GM installs all the necessary sensors in all cars, and only enables this option via software. This is what Tesla does.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I looked to see about prices and availability of the Bolt, and learned there were the Bolt EV and Bolt EUV. Pricewise, after the $7.5K tax deduction, these are very competitive with ICE cars of the same class, or perhaps even lower cost than the latter.

It looks like these make a very good commuter car. I would prefer these to the Tesla 3 which is more expensive, if I were still working. I like to seat higher than in a sedan. A drawback I can see is the lack of fast charging. The best you can do is to put 100 miles of range to the Bolt in 1/2 hour. If you don't go cross-country and just drive around town and charge at home, it's a decent EV.

I was intrigued to see SuperCruise being available, but the price of this option is $2.2K. And in addition you need to pay $25/month after the first 3 years for OnStar service.

I wonder if GM installs all the necessary sensors in all cars, and only enables this option via software. This is what Tesla does.

Availability os not great as GM stopped taking new order in July. Next new Bolt will be with the new battery platform.

My new Bolt is not for trips, just local driving (100 mile radius). I charged it at the dealer for 13% to 80% in about two hours. Super cruise is not available at this time from what I am told. Mine doesn't have it. You don't have to sign on to OnStar.

... Super cruise is not available at this time from what I am told. Mine doesn't have it. You don't have to sign on to OnStar.

GM says the 2023 Bolt EUV has this option available. I guess the hardware is not built-in to all vehicles.

Regarding SuperCruise requiring OnStar, this is what GM says.

Super Cruise functionality is enabled by a data connection for real-time, precise positioning and periodic Super Cruise map updates. In order to operate Super Cruise, you must have an active and eligible GMC Connected Services† plan. Super Cruise vehicles are also connected to OnStar® Emergency Services†, so Emergency-Certified OnStar Advisors can assist drivers should they become nonresponsive while Super Cruise is active.

All Super Cruise-equipped vehicles include 3 years of connectivity to support functionality, after which a Connected Services† plan must be purchased.

GM says the 2023 Bolt EUV has this option available. I guess the hardware is not built-in to all vehicles.

Regarding SuperCruise requiring OnStar, this is what GM says.

My car has a data connection (WiFi), but i declined to pay for it being available. I do not have Super Cruise as an option on my Moroney label. OnStar is on, but in a month i'm going to call them and tell them I have no need for it.

I'm in the trail period with XM Radio, but that will be trashed too.

I think if you can find one, the Bolt is a great deal... but only if it's a secondary, tertiary or beyond car that you need anyway. If it requires you to own another vehicle due to it's lack of good charging capabilities where you could've otherwise gotten away with a single vehicle (ICE or long range EV like a Model 3), then it doesn't make financial sense to own two cars instead of one -- for most people. YMMV.

I think if you can find one, the Bolt is a great deal... but only if it's a secondary, tertiary or beyond car that you need anyway. If it requires you to own another vehicle due to it's lack of good charging capabilities where you could've otherwise gotten away with a single vehicle (ICE or long range EV like a Model 3), then it doesn't make financial sense to own two cars instead of one -- for most people. YMMV.

That's my issue, one vehicle with more compromises or multiple vehicles. The Bolt checks all the boxes for my city car but I'm not sure I should add a car :)

Yep, my Bolt will be for around the area driving, with home charging. I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata for long runs, if I need to go. There are plenty of chargers for the Bolt around here and there will be more as time goes on.

Believe me, charging won't be the issue for me....the issue is keeping my daughter from wanting to borrow it. And in a year or two, I may just give her the Bolt and she can sell her older Mustang.

I am not in the market for a new vehicle (still having 3 ICE cars), but if I need one right now, the Bolt would make a good complement to an ICE car for intown driving.

For long trips, I still like an ICE car until more charging stations are built and EVs have a battery of greater capacity.

Last edited:
There is going to be a Porsche Macan EV coming for 24. Supposed to be a very fast charging one that can get to 80% in something like 20-30 minutes.

There is going to be a Porsche Macan EV coming for 24. Supposed to be a very fast charging one that can get to 80% in something like 20-30 minutes.
FYI estimated $80-100K, but no surprise for a Porsche.

80% charge in 20-30 minutes is not unusual, any Tesla, Hyundai or many others can go from 20%-80% charge in 15-30 minutes IF you’re at a capable charger (Level 3 or more). You won’t get anything like that at home though (Level 1 or 2) no matter what EV you buy. Charging to 100% takes quite a bit longer, but that’s not recommended for some common battery chemistries.

I’m getting a Tesla MYLR for $50k ish in the next 6-9 months.

Attachments

• IMG_2832.jpeg
    IMG_2832.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Had a Rivian R1S come up and tailgate me a bit today.

I'll say this, it was $78,000 of very cool look in my rear view mirror. That race-track oval of LEDs that act as DRLs is unique and cool.

I'm not a fan of the Tesla front end look on the 3. Reminds me of Mr. Limpett. But I like the look of this Rivian.

Without a need to inhale all that air up front, we're going to have to get used to some different looks. And that's OK. There's some room for creativity.

Last edited:
Had a Rivian R1S come up and tailgate me a bit today.

I'll say this, it was $78,000 of very cool look in my rear view mirror. That race-track oval of LEDs that act as DRLs is unique and cool.

I'm not a fan of the Tesla front end look on the 3. Reminds me of Mr. Limpett. But I like the look of this Rivian.

Without a need to inhale all that air up front, we're going to have to get used to some different looks. And that's OK. There's some room for creativity.
I agree the Rivian R1T and R1S are both good looking vehicles, there’s a T in my neighborhood.

Maybe you’ll like the looks of the Model 3 Highland which will be rolled out soon, they streamlined the lights and the duckbill flat spot on the front is gone. Quite a few other changes rumored, some major, some minor. This is reportedly the new front end…

NEW
tesla-model-3-project-highland-1500x999.jpg

CURRENT for a few more weeks/months.
wYVqN_li1s49CQOeL2PYHgfm3c9XIhqjd_0tNmq8Z-FTzL2UgQbbubi8vA1MachaPGeFNoT4ySKeLcS2LGmH5g=w770-h513-p

Last edited:
^^^That's better.

I have seen a few Rivian and Lucid's locally, both very cool looking in my opinion. Teslas also look nice IMO, but they are far to common around here, so really becoming plain jane's.

If anyone is interested in the Subaru Solterra i noticed offers of 0.9% financing or a $399/month lease (with a big down payment). I was surprised that they have incentives since they are in short supply in my area.

This is Subaru's identical version of the Toyota BZ4X. It had a terrible introduction due to a recall. This model has been savaged by most reviewers because of poor charging speeds & other deficiencies. It doesn't qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit because the battery is not made in the US. However, if you lease it you can qualify for the tax credit. Not much else to sell the vehicle.

Saw one of these yesterday (Audi e-tron GT). Absolutely sexy car:

Etron GT.jpg

Has the same range as my cheap Bolt.:LOL:

Last edited:
This is Subaru's identical version of the Toyota BZ4X. It had a terrible introduction due to a recall. This model has been savaged by most reviewers because of poor charging speeds & other deficiencies. It doesn't qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit because the battery is not made in the US. However, if you lease it you can qualify for the tax credit. Not much else to sell the vehicle.
You forgot the biggest mistake Toyota and Subaru made...:LOL:
The report says 2,600 Solterra EVs are recalled because of a risk the wheels could come loose due to an issue with the wheels bolts. Subaru submitted the Solterra recall to Japan's transportation ministry that said sharp turns and sudden braking could cause a hub bolt to loosen, raising the risk of a wheel coming off the vehicle.

Toyota issued a recall on 2,700 bZ4X electric cars, roughly all the ones produced to date (though most undelivered), over the potential of wheels falling off.

The bZ4X is Toyota’s first global electric car. Toyota launched the electric SUV in the US earlier this year at a starting price of $42,000.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone is interested in the Subaru Solterra i noticed offers of 0.9% financing or a $399/month lease (with a big down payment). I was surprised that they have incentives since they are in short supply in my area.
Because no one wants them, and Toyota/Subaru (like most legacy automakers) really don't want to sell them since they lose $$$ on every one they sell.

Last edited:
Yes, effective 9/1/23 the state will tack on an additional $200 to register an EV each year.

I bought my EV in TX in Sept 2022. I have a 2 year registration inspection sticker on my car, given out for new vehicles. I think this means I don't have to get my vehicle inspected or pay my next registration fee until Sept 2024. Will I get to avoid the $200 yearly EV registration charge until Sept 2024....or will TX bill me $200 for the yearly EV charge in Sept 2023? Just curious.

This is Subaru's identical version of the Toyota BZ4X. It had a terrible introduction due to a recall.... .

Oh, yeah the wheels falling off was a bad thing :) I like the ground clearance. Some of the EV SUVs are too low for my taste.

The new Tesla Model 3 (Highland) is out. It’s not shown on the US website, but it’s on the European sites -stills and video. I assume it will appear on US site today. Quite a few changes, front and back fascia, stalkless, new steering wheel, new seats, ventilated front seats, rear passenger screen, noise reduction and lower Cd, slightly higher range, new dash & center console, ambient lights in cabin, etc.

https://www.tesla.com/es_es/model3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom