Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

This is a good reminder to look into required maintenance on my EV. I have owned my BMW iX xdrive50 (first EV for me) for 15 months now but really don't know what is required :facepalm:. The only ads I get from BMW are ones with coupons for maintenance on ICE cars :LOL:.

Here is a list of the 20 most sold cars in Norway in 2023:

Tesla Model Y 23 088
Volkswagen ID.4 6 614
Skoda Enyaq 5 740
Toyota bZ4X 5 395
Ford Mustang Mach-E 3 792
Toyota Yaris 3 582
Toyota RAV4 3 457
Volkswagen ID.3 3 141
Hyundai Kona 2 991
Audi Q4 e-tron 2 688
Nissan Ariya 2 606
Nissan Leaf 2 471
BMW iX1 2 415
Tesla Model 3 2 083
Toyota Corolla 1 911
Polestar Polestar 2 1 832
BMW i4 1 782
MG MG4 1 622
Audi Q8 e-tron 1 602

The only ICE cars are the Toyotas - Yaris, RAV4 and Corolla. I am not sure if all models are sold in the US. But the Model Y sure is popular!

In case you haven't noticed, you have a cooling system in your EV, just for cooling the battery. Some EV's have more than one, all capable of freezing if the temperature gets low enough (real low).The vast majority of iCE vehicles have one too, for the engine block.

My Bolt, has THREE separate cooling systems, each with a pump and containing GM's proprietary coolant.

Yes that is true. But it's hidden from the user. Well - at least it is in my Tesla. Engine coolant may be replaced by the user with less anti freeze than needed.

"Fossil Car" :LOL:

:LOL: When they run on fossil fuel they are fossil cars :LOL:

Tesla Model Y 23 088
Volkswagen ID.4 6 614
Skoda Enyaq 5 740
Toyota bZ4X 5 395
Toyota Yaris 3 582
Toyota RAV4 3 457
Volkswagen ID.3 3 141
Hyundai Kona 2 991
Audi Q4 e-tron 2 688
Nissan Ariya 2 606
Nissan Leaf 2 471
BMW iX1 2 415
Tesla Model 3 2 083
Toyota Corolla 1 911
BMW i4 1 782
MG MG4 1 622
Audi Q8 e-tron 1 602

I'm a little skeptical of your source for those numbers.
Volvo thinks they sold nearly 9,000 in Norway that year.

Why would they buy the Toyota bZ4X? Suppose t be a lousy EV.

Tesla Model Y 23 088
Volkswagen ID.4 6 614
Skoda Enyaq 5 740
Toyota bZ4X 5 395
Volvo XC40 Recharge 5 052
Toyota Yaris 3 582
Toyota RAV4 3 457
Volkswagen ID.3 3 141
Hyundai Kona 2 991
Audi Q4 e-tron 2 688
Nissan Ariya 2 606
Nissan Leaf 2 471
BMW iX1 2 415
Tesla Model 3 2 083
Toyota Corolla 1 911
BMW i4 1 782
MG MG4 1 622
Audi Q8 e-tron 1 602

The only ICE cars are the Toyotas - Yaris, RAV4 and Corolla. I am not sure if all models are sold in the US. But the Model Y sure is popular!

Last edited:
GM China Bolt - Velite 7

Been selling it in China for a while now.

2021-Buick-Velite-7-EV-China-exterior-01-720x300.jpg

Buick Velite 7 is a battery electric vehicle (BEV) of subcompact dimensions marketed as a crossover by General Motors in China since July 2020.

As its name suggests, the Velite 7 is part of the Buick Velite family of alternative-energy vehicles. In fact, Velite 7 is also Buick’s first zero-emissions utility vehicle.

Though the Velite 7 uses many resources from global GM vehicles, such as its architecture/platform and an all-electric powertrain, it will only be made available in the Chinese market.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/buick/velite/velite-7/

So appears the Buick Velite BEV has been sold (as the Bolt) in the US for years, before it appeared in China.

Last edited:

Volvo sold 8,892 cars in 2023 across all models. The number I quoted was for their most popular model only.

If you really want to geek out you can find the source data from OFV (close tied to our DMV) in Norwegian here - Google Translate can help you out:

https://ofv.no/registreringsstatistikk

I recently read that in Norway about 90% of the people live in housing that provides easy to access charging. I guess that helps explain why EVs are so popular.

The local Tesla Supercharger station - which is usually 80%+ full at the least - just had its first accident. Somebody apparently backed into one of the chargers. Now there are lines most of the time during the day. I would have thought Tesla would make backing into a charger and knocking it down hard to do.

By 2030 or 2035, if there are significantly more EVs worldwide, what will it do to gas and ICE sales?

Investment in oil production may decline and lead to higher prices, further placing downward pressure on gas and ICE sales.

According to the current administration, 75% of cars will have an ICE engine in 2050.

Attachments

• IMG_0289.jpeg
    IMG_0289.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 5
That's way too linear. There's no way it will happen that way. It could be sooner or later, but it's going to be sharper.

According to the current administration, 75% of cars will have an ICE engine in 2050.
Well, yeah. In countries like Cuba they're still driving cars made 60-70 years ago, many countries will continue to drive existing cars as long as they're cheaper than new cars, especially if those countries don't develop the infrastructure for electric vehicle charging.

IThe local Tesla Supercharger station - which is usually 80%+ full at the least - just had its first accident. Somebody apparently backed into one of the chargers. Now there are lines most of the time during the day. I would have thought Tesla would make backing into a charger and knocking it down hard to do.

There are usually bollards or something protecting each charger.

I recently read that in Norway about 90% of the people live in housing that provides easy to access charging. I guess that helps explain why EVs are so popular.

The local Tesla Supercharger station - which is usually 80%+ full at the least - just had its first accident. Somebody apparently backed into one of the chargers. Now there are lines most of the time during the day. I would have thought Tesla would make backing into a charger and knocking it down hard to do.

There are usually bollards or something protecting each charger.

Or in Northwest Indiana parking lots - they plow snow on, over, and around the charging stations. I went to a gas station that had a charging station at the corner of the property. I could barely see the top of the charger. After the last big snow, nobody will get near it for a while.

I have a feeling the Norwegians prioritized charging systems - and the infrastructure.

And, the same feeling tells me we Americans will figure a way through the certain transition to a majority EV small vehicle transportation system (not including long haul trucks in this) over the next 20 years or so.

Perhaps.

Norway has less than 2% of the USA population. It is also smaller and far less geographically diverse. Its surface area is 4% of the USA. 88% of Norways power comes from hydropower sources.

I’m not sure it is a good example to extrapolate from.

Not sure I'm extrapolating, but rather predicting.

Norways has hydroelectric ... the US has solar and wind potential. IMO, our real winner is solar - residential and commercial buildings, not farms. Wind - farms, not residential and solar.

And, perhaps even more than the technical production, the core difference between the US and Norway, may be how we think about public policy.

Back
Top Bottom