Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

I think we might finally try out a EV this year since Washington state is starting a program in August for low income EV leases. Essentially you will be able to lease a EV for three years for $0 down and under $100 a month (as low as $60 a month for some models).

While we wait on this program to start, are there any particular models we should research? We live in the hotter/colder part of the state now, would still keep our ICE Ford F150 4x4 for winter snow, long mountain trips in the remote areas, and towing, but the EV would be nice to keep the wear and miles off the truck and offset the $4.40 a gallon gas we have in this state.

Is there a manufacturer to stay away from? I have always liked Toyota, and they have a bZ4x now I think...

^^ My bias is clear, so I will only say you should read many reviews on any model you’re interested in. Your experience with legacy auto does not correlate to their EV offerings - some are good/OK, some are not at all. We’ve owned 3 Toyotas (2 hybrids) and they were very good cars, but Toyota badmouthed EVs and touted fuel cell cars longer than any other legacy auto - and they are way behind on EVs so far. Most legacy automakers have a long way to go before their EVs are compelling to knowledgeable buyers. https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/bz4x

Last edited:
Thanks Midpack. Would this be a consideration?

"
Are funds stackable with other incentives?
Yes! A consumer can combine the rebate for this program with both the federal tax credit, state sales tax exemption, and other automaker rebates offered through the dealers if available."

So if I can find a model that qualifies for the federal tax credit as well, we are talking $7500 + $9000?

Took delivery of a Model S last week. It doesn't get any Federal or state rebates. So far it's an amazing car. The autopilot system works well, and if I had daily commute in bad traffic I'd pay the $99/month. Still might use it on long trips but the cars "free" lane control autopilot is good enough for me.
Tesla Model S Day 1.jpeg

Took delivery of a Model S last week. It doesn't get any Federal or state rebates. So far it's an amazing car. The autopilot system works well, and if I had daily commute in bad traffic I'd pay the $99/month. Still might use it on long trips but the cars "free" lane control autopilot is good enough for me.

The lane control used to falsely accuse me of not having my hand on the wheel but when I asserted more control it kicked me out. Now like magic it just works.

Fermion, the Toyota BZ4X is generally not considered to be very good, I think Tesla is the clear choice. Some people like the MachE and eventually there will be more GM EVs but I would avoid any early models.

We’re still enjoying the full driving experience. Works amazingly well if not perfectly. It is importantly to actually have a route entered which we sometimes forget - it doesn’t read minds yet as we were reminded yesterday.* :facepalm: :2funny:

RetMD21 yes for me the wheel nags even with hands on wheel are blissfully gone.

*Returning home from an errand I turned FSD on once I got in a left turn lane and the car obligingly turned left as soon as the green arrow appeared but then it stayed in the middle lane instead of going to the rightmost turn lane at the next light. We were dumbfounded until we realized we hadn’t set navigation to home. :facepalm:

Last edited:
We’re still enjoying the full driving experience. Works amazingly well if not perfectly. It is importantly to actually have a route entered which we sometimes forget - it doesn’t read minds yet as we were reminded yesterday.* :facepalm: :2funny:

RetMD21 yes for me the wheel nags even with hands on wheel are blissfully gone.

*Returning home from an errand I turned FSD on once I got in a left turn lane and the car obligingly turn left as soon as the green arrow appeared but then it stayed in the middle lane instead of going to the rightmost turn lane at the next light. We were dumbfounded until we realized we hadn’t set navigation to home. :facepalm:
I've forgotten to enter a supercharger destination I intended to use a couple times, so battery preconditioning didn't start, and initial charging was slower when I got to the supercharger. Of course the car "suggested" I do better next time (faster charging)... :facepalm:

I also once forgot to enter a destination (home) on a short drive in town and wondered why FSD wasn't making a turn where I expected. Only once so far... :facepalm: :facepalm:

I think we might finally try out a EV this year since Washington state is starting a program in August for low income EV leases. Essentially you will be able to lease a EV for three years for $0 down and under $100 a month (as low as $60 a month for some models).
<snip>
Be careful. Washington state is headed to an electric power shortage within about 5 years. Lack of replacement generating ability and lack of adequate transmission lines seems to be in the work.

This year for the first time, I was advised by the utility company to reduce the temperature on my home during the coldest part of the Winter to prevent overloading the electrical network. In my 40+ years in the state this is the first time I have received such a warning.

I've forgotten to enter a supercharger destination I intended to use a couple times, so battery preconditioning didn't start, and initial charging was slower when I got to the supercharger. Of course the car "suggested" I do better next time (faster charging)... :facepalm:

I also once forgot to enter a destination (home) on a short drive in town and wondered why FSD wasn't making a turn where I expected. Only once so far... :facepalm: :facepalm:
This is a serious flaw. Demand that a Neuralink chip be placed in your brain immediately.

Do we really want that? 🤔
What I really want is in a recurring dream I have every few years. I find that I still own my 1970 VW Beetle. It's been hiding underneath the garage floor (Hey, it's a dream!) and runs great.

Rivian sales seem to have taken off in my area. Lots of truck and that cool looking SUV vehicle. This is not a dream.

Do we really want that? 🤔
I think I just need the car to know my current destination, ha ha.

It has my calendar and automatically calculates the route for appointments when I get in the car, that’s nice. There is a home button or you can say “go home” but this last time I forget to do even that.

While we wait on this program to start, are there any particular models we should research? We live in the hotter/colder part of the state now, would still keep our ICE Ford F150 4x4 for winter snow, long mountain trips in the remote areas, and towing, but the EV would be nice to keep the wear and miles off the truck and offset the $4.40 a gallon gas we have in this state.

Is there a manufacturer to stay away from? I have always liked Toyota, and they have a bZ4x now I think...
Wow that’s an exceedingly generous program.

Finally got FSD 12.3.6. Big improvement over 11.4.

Excited that 12.4 will start being released next week. Elon said that it is 5x to 10x more miles between interventions.

The speed of improvement is accelerating. I will subscribe just to be able to watch.

It’s been a bit weird. I’m just glad we already finished this year’s big road trip where we visited many new superchargers along the way. Don’t know when/if we’ll do a big road trip next year, so we have time for things to settle out.

Mainly hoping for more New Mexico and southern Colorado (US160) superchargers. The ones in the works have Fed and State/City funding grants involved also seems like these would proceed. Two locations of interest around San Antonio are complete yet have been waiting months for their transformer from the power company.

Favorite new supercharger location so far was Alpine TX. We love the Davis Mountains and look forward to spending a lot more time there.

ETA: They just started the permitted supercharger installation at Mathis TX. Pretty sure the ground wasn’t broken two weeks ago. That was the edict.

Last edited:
Got a Tesla Model Y LR AWD 19" wheels this week. Only options I took were Paint and Tow Hitch.
Reasoning behind it?
1/ Tesla Model Y prices went down significantly (I'm guessing following bad Q1, 2024 results / excess inventory); this might change for Q2 with all the Tesla lease and cash incentives to purge the excess inventory available right now
2/ Now that I can charge at home (SFH vs Condo), this is not a roadblock anymore
3/ Sold the Condo over fair market value (in my NW anyway)
4/ Tesla gave me a trade-in estimate (before making the purchase) higher than my Corolla FMV (in my NW anyway)
5/ This year I got lower income and qualify for $7.5k federal tax credit
6/ When I plug the Y purchase + Condo sale in my NW (counting $20k 'drive out of the parking lot' depreciation, based on Edmund's TCO calculator), I'm down $600 (including the 'Upgrades' below), which is not a big deal. I alway try to be close to $0 this when I buy a car.

Basically I was sold when Hertz gave me a 'Manager Special' M3 RWD as a one day rental (one way trip to the airport). I can see this is the future, though it's unsettling and I understand some people prefer a traditional instrument cluster, etc... Also I don't necessary share Mr Musk business ethics, political opinions, etc...

My short list was:
a/ Model Y LR AWD
b/ Model Y Performance
c/ Model 3 Performance
Because they all qualify for federal tax credit at time of writing (though today M3P went up $1k and is just $10 shy of $55k / limit).

After trying the MYP and M3 RWD at a Tesla store 2 weeks ago, I preferred the handling of the M3 but the acceleration of the MYP was mind blowing.

In the end I think I made the reasonable choice Option a/ which is the least expensive of the 3 above; I paid cash.
The MYP with the 21" wheels was a bit bumpy, MYP and M3P (20" wheels) are staggered wheels and I had the experience with another car, this makes the tire wear unevenly, you cannot obviously rotate front and rear. Plus of course 20" and 21" tires are more expensive than 19" tires (MY LR AWD has 4 wheels of the same size).

Also I compared the yearly cost between the Toyota Corolla Hybrid and Tesla Model Y LR AWD, here is my math FYI
2021 Toyota Corolla Hybrid2024 Model Y LR AWD
Insurance per year$1,344.00$1,198.00
Gas per year$860.66
Miles per kwh3.45
Kwh rate$0.14
Electricity per year$608.70
Tire$1,300.00
Service$1,000.00
TOTAL$3,204.66$3,106.70

This is for 15k miles per year. And I paid Toyota $1000 last year (3 services) just for 'manufacturer recommended maintenance' which is outrageous I think!

I think I'm pessimistic with the MY tire (replaced after 15k miles / 1 year), we shall see.

I was getting 61mpg with the Corolla! (Gas is estimated at $3.50 above).

Here is the breakdown from the Tesla invoice:
Y LR AWD Tow White$34,000.00
Pearl White$1,000.00
LR AWD$13,990.00
Tow$1,000.00
Destination$1,390.00
Order $250.00
Car Price$51,630.00
Reg$250.00
Battery$1.50
Reg Service$28.00
Tire$4.00
Sales Tax$2,176.13
Total Cost$54,089.63
Order Deposit 05/15/2024-$250.00
Payment 05/16/2024-$30,139.63
Credit
Toyota-$16,200.00
Fed Incentive-$7,500.00
Real Cost$46,589.63

As always (LOL) I will do couple of upgrades
Wall Connector$300.00
Install$495.00
Invisible Mask$350.00
Windshield Sun Shade$35.00
Screen protector$40.00
Paint Touch Up Kit$60.00
Spare wheel + tire$445.00
Total$1,725.00

I found the Wall Connector on eBay, new for $300 instead of $450 on the Tesla website
Install is a bit expensive based on my discussion with Tesla at the show room (they say 300-500)
I will install front bumper Invisible Mask PPF myself, I'm done it on the Corolla, this is extremely difficult to install, but the result is perfect: not a single paint chip after 30k miles.
I also recommend getting a spare wheel + tire [this is on eBay as well] (I had that on the Corolla as well), since there is no spare tire on the Y (same situation with the Corolla). I got many flat tires here on the Treasure Coast, the last one (before I purchased the spare wheel for the Corolla) was a 6 hours deal between the time I called roadside assistance and the time I got home, never again!

I'm debating having the Wall Connector installed outside of the house or inside the garage, any experience / recommendation will be welcome.

I like my wall connector inside the garage and I keep my car inside the garage almost all the time.

If you don't mind saying, what state and company did you get that insurance quote from. My bill from GEICO in CT is $1400 for six months. 2023 pretty much same model as yours.

Thanks!
Florida Treasure Coast (East Coast). Progressive. I have very high liability / PIP / UM etc... coverage, but high deductible on Comprehensive and no Collision.
I'm with them 9 years, no claim, no accident, no ticket, no DUI, etc...

Thanks!
Florida Treasure Coast (East Coast). Progressive. I have very high liability / PIP / UM etc... coverage, but high deductible on Comprehensive and no Collision.
I'm with them 9 years, no claim, no accident, no ticket, no DUI, etc...
My collision is $500 for 6 months.

I also have a second old car that adds up to about $450.

When I was first quoted they said that the multi car discount would cover the second car. When i bought the policy it was listed differently but they told me that my Tesla would increase and be the same price if I drop the old car.

Last week I questioned why they itemize all the charges and add them up to my payment due, but then list all my discounts which are not subtracted. When I called I was told that the discounts were somehow calculated into the itemized charges that are not related to the discounts.

It would seem that the charges should be listed then the discounts subtracted.

Why do you not carry collision? Teslas are very expensive to repair after an accident. Especially if the battery pack has been damaged.

Btw congrats on your new car.

If you don't mind saying, what state and company did you get that insurance quote from. My bill from GEICO in CT is $1400 for six months. 2023 pretty much same model as yours.
Wow. I’m up to $1007 for six months with Geico in NC for a ‘23 MYLR and a ‘19 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring. CT is expensive…

Insurance costs vary widely depending upon age, sex, zip code, insurance company, driving record, coverage, enclosed parking, miles driven, cost of car, etc.

We pay about $650 every six months for my wife’s 2020 Model Y.
Back when I switched from a Prius to a Model S the cost was about $15 more a month ($90 every 6 months).

I highly recommend shopping around. It is easiest to compare what your costs for two different cars being the only variable.

Comparing costs with another persons puts all of those variables into play.

Back
Top Bottom