Essential Oils

gcgang

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone have any experience using Essential Oils?

I went to a presentation last night. Part of it is just Amway revisited as DoTerra, and I'm not interested in becoming a MLM.

Here's a review of what the company does, and some background on EO.

https://www.ecosecretariat.org/doterra-mlm-review/

But health benefits of EOs seems to be increasingly documented. CBD among the most notorious at this time.

The article states DoTerra has nothing proprietary, and their EOs are more pricey. But I'd value the input of the Wellness person on how to use to get started.

So, do any of you use EOs? Which ones, for what?

No. Tired of being having "friends" pitching this crap. Marijuana is legal where I live (for medical purposes), so if I need anything "essential", I will get the real deal. ;)

Oh, and from the website you linked..well, it's a blog. On the "who am I" page, this tells me everything I need to know.

Why should I listen to you?
You shouldn’t, silly.

Look:

I’m basically a moron who just never knew when to quit.

Network marketing, affiliate marketing, internet marketing, selling vacuums door-to-door — you name it, I’ve tried it.

With a perfect track record of failure.

my massage therapist uses a crapload of it when i get a massage

what kind i have no clue but it smells good

It appears to me that the term "essential oils" is a marketing gimmick, to perhaps encourage confusion with terms that have real meaning. The term "essential" in "essential fatty acid" or an "essential vitamin" has a real physiological meaning--these are substances that are required for human health and cannot be synthesized by the body (i.e. there's no metabolic pathway that the body can use to make them, they have to be obtained via the diet). "Essential oils" has no such clinical meaning--it's just a distilled bit of plant juice that somebody now claims has some health benefit.

IMO, almost surely hokum. To be sure, you'd have to research each one individually, and look for legitimate trials.

I use rosemary essential oil to scent the bath soap I make, which it does quite well. The young wife just started last month with CBD oil for her knees. Too soon to draw any conclusions as to its efficacy.

Last edited:
It appears to me that the term "essential oils" is a marketing gimmick, to perhaps encourage confusion with terms that have real meaning. The term "essential" in "essential fatty acid" or an "essential vitamin" has a real physiological meaning--these are substances that are required for human health and cannot be synthesized by the body (i.e. there's no metabolic pathway that the body can use to make them, they have to be obtained via the diet). "Essential oils" has no such clinical meaning--it's just a distilled bit of plant juice that somebody now claims has some health benefit.

IMO, almost surely hokum. To be sure, you'd have to research each one individually, and look for legitimate trials.

But, but...they are ESSENTIAL! I mean...essential, that means they are really, REALLY ESSENTIAL!!

Kinda reminds me of the movie Idiocracy and the "electrolytes" that was in all the water.

Attachments

• Electro.jpg
    Electro.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 33
So, do any of you use EOs?

I use olive oil for some cooking and canola oil for the rest.

My wife uses some smelly oils for "dry skin".

Using essential oils for wellness is just nonsense, IMHO.

Any "increased documentation" of healthy benefits...yeah I'm sure if you dig behind the source of the data or the publication you'll find someone with a financial interest in the products. Always follow the money - and there is BIG money in this racket. IMO, it's snake oil and silliness as far as any medical stuff goes.

But if you like the smells and they make you feel good, like a spa kind of thing? whatever works.

ETA: Good long read piece in the NYer from a little while back on the topic:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...l-oils-became-the-cure-for-our-age-of-anxiety

Last edited:
Mobil 1 5W 20 synthetic for the main car and BMW. The 1998 F150 uses Motorcraft (Ford product) 5W 20 SemiSyn for it. :cool:

Normal cooking oils in use here.

DW has some oily stuff she uses, but I don't know what it is for.

I think that's about it!

There is this study on oil of rosemary as a memory booster -https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardeni...erb-of-remembrance-as-scent-boosts-memory-by/

Rosemary is very high in antioxidants - "Sorted by antioxidant content, clove has the highest mean antioxidant value, followed by peppermint, allspice, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary, saffron and estragon" - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2841576/

Lavender oil for anxiety-
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6007527/

And here is report on various oils as antibacterial and antifungal agents
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8893526

I make my own cleaning products with nontoxic ingredients and have an assortment of oils I use in the recipes. I usually pick them up cheap when Sprouts has a sale. If you look at Pubmed there are quite a few studies on their effectiveness for various purposes.

Last edited:
Well the ancient Romans used Olive Oil to wash their skin (instead of soap), so there must be something to the oil - skin connection.

I use Cedar Wood in a natural mixture to repeal ticks. It has done as good of job then anything you can buy on the market for ticks. The ingrediency are all natural and safe.

As far as health benefits I don't use essentials in that role.

I like putting them in one of those evaporation thingies. I like lemongrass, sandalwood, lavender. I bought a few years ago and still have plenty.

The term essential oil has been around for a very long time, and is used in the perfume/fragrance industry. It has nothing to do with human biology. “Essential” comes from essence.
es·sen·tial oil
/əˈsen(t)SHəl oil/
noun
a natural oil typically obtained by distillation and having the characteristic fragrance of the plant or other source from which it is extracted.

I use Cedar Wood in a natural mixture to repeal ticks. It has done as good of job then anything you can buy on the market for ticks. The ingrediency are all natural and safe.

As far as health benefits I don't use essentials in that role.

Orange oil spray has worked great for us for ant invasions.

Well the ancient Romans used Olive Oil to wash their skin (instead of soap), so there must be something to the oil - skin connection.

I just bought olive oil soap after reading about a study on skin wrinkling, though the study was on foods people ate, not applied to their skin. But I have to buy soap anyway so I thought I'd give it a try.

Last edited:

The Romans did not have access to soap. The Celts invented it, but the Romans hadn’t discover it yet, so they slathered on oil and had it scraped off.

Lavender does have antibacterial properties which is why the romans used it for washing.

OK, the Babylonians had invented it earlier and the Egyptians even used it, but somehow it remained undiscovered by the Romans who eventually got it, and the name, from the Germans.
Roman Empire
The word sapo, Latin for soap, likely was borrowed from an early Germanic language and is cognate with Latin sebum, "tallow". It first appears in Pliny the Elder's account,[11] Historia Naturalis, which discusses the manufacture of soap from tallow and ashes, but the only use he mentions for it is as a pomade for hair; he mentions rather disapprovingly that the men of the Gauls and Germans were more likely to use it than their female counterparts.[12] Aretaeus of Cappadocia, writing in the first century AD, observes among "Celts, which are men called Gauls, those alkaline substances that are made into balls [...] called soap".[13] The Romans' preferred method of cleaning the body was to massage oil into the skin and then scrape away both the oil and any dirt with a strigil. The Gauls used soap made from animal fat.

Zosimos of Panopolis, circa 300 AD, describes soap and soapmaking.[14] Galen describes soap-making using lye and prescribes washing to carry away impurities from the body and clothes. The use of soap for personal cleanliness became increasingly common in the 2nd century A.D. According to Galen, the best soaps were Germanic, and soaps from Gaul were second best.[14]
from Wikipedia

Last edited:
My wife uses JADEBLOOM oils for her fibromyalgia, and does really well with it. She only applies any when she starts having a flareup, and only for the length that the flareup lasts, not a daily supplement. Taking oils daily will reduce the effectiveness of them when needed.

She looked into the YoungLiving, and Doterra business plan, and saw right away that they appeared like a pyramid scam, that relied on you being a salesperson, and recruiting others.

JADEBLOOM is a mail order company that has has strong essential oils, for less than 1/2 the money of the other schemes, with no sales levels...just buy what you need for a discount.

Tea Tree oil is widely used like as a natural antiseptic, cleaner, insect repellant and disinfectant in other countries - powerful stuff!
I used to smell it daily in India where they would use it like Lysol to clean my hotel rooms. I like the smell, but I think it's an acquired taste.

I use these kinds of recipes from Dr. Bronner for cleaning. I usually just buy the unscented castile soap and add some mix of my own essential oils to the end products for a nice fragrance and some added antibacterial power -
My Cleaning Cabinet

OK, the link given in the OP is nonsense. Can’t believe someone writes something like that and sells stuff, but maybe some people get motivated by such shallow drivel?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom