Examples of current inflation - add yours!

I realize this is an expensive hotel but could this be the start of a trend?

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/hotels-begin-charging-premium-prices-210658881.html

Hotel has an additional charge for pool access.

The Comments to the referenced article mentioned that this charge was for premium lunge/location and a valet. But, these premium charges are often like letting the camel's nose into the tent. Soon, that premium fee may morph into a "nominal" pool charge for all lounges, and then morph again to more-than-nominal fee over a few years.

DW felt like checking out a new popsicle stand, so we went. $14 for three popsicles!!

DW felt like checking out a new popsicle stand, so we went. $14 for three popsicles!!

Wow! My favorite Shave-Ice place doesn't even cost that much, and there's a lot of "w*rk" involved in preparing the product. Here I thought I lived in a HCOL area! YMMV

A friend likes Yuengling Black and Tan so I sometimes take a 12-pack to him when I visit. While picking up a couple of items at a Walmart this morning, noticed that a 12-pack normally at $10.48 is now $12.48. Price increases don't seem to be slowing at Walmart or grocery stores with many recent increases I've noticed in the 20-30% range.

Store brand decaf ground coffee I would sometimes get for $5.99 back in early 2020 and on sale for $4.99 sometimes. I had seen the price had gone up since then, but yesterday I saw it had skyrocketed to $9.88!

Store brand decaf ground coffee I would sometimes get for $5.99 back in early 2020 and on sale for $4.99 sometimes. I had seen the price had gone up since then, but yesterday I saw it had skyrocketed to $9.88!

I like Starbucks House Blend Decaf, 12 oz. package. Used to be $7.29 at Walmart. Would cost $9.99 at local grocery store. Is now $9.36 at Walmart and $12.99 at local grocery store!

Wait one second..this a quote like the hotels quotes that say in the fine print plus additional resort fees of x dollars a day...VTG has always been kind of clickbaity.

Fares are still per-cruise, but sellers often quote them by night when they want to emphasize what a good deal they are. I'm getting a lot with departures less than a month out, or not much farther, so I know they're trying to fill them up.

All cruises have tax and port charges, which are the same regardless where you buy the cruise, and cruisers know that.

You can still eat for free, but it is true there are a million opportunities for you to spend more. You can buy a base-model car, or spend 50% more. You can drink cheap beer or something much nicer. It's up to you.

Here's my inflation "oh no!" -- At our Walmart, on the bakery table, there are these little 3-inch pies and coffee cakes. They're full of "ingredients" but still tasty; please don't think less of me for being familiar with them. For over a year the price was 50 cents, and I was amazed at that. I supposed they were like Costco hot dogs -- a loss leader. Overnight a week or two ago they went to 74 cents, which is still amazing, and less than those taste-like-plastic snacks at the checkout counter, which are now all at least $1.18.

* I like Blue Bell too. Here's it's $8 for 64 ounces. Other kinds are $6 for 48 ounces. Exactly the same per ounce. There are some Kroger flavors that are Pretty Darn Good.

Last edited:
Just ate at Texas Road House - my favorite: The Road Kill chopped steak. Excellent as usual. Only issue is that it was $11 rather than $8 as it was 2 years ago. The good news: DW and I figured how to stretch the meal between two people. Road Kill comes with 2 sides. I got a baked potato and she got a baked sweet potato. We brought food home! Total with tip: $15. Not too bad for a great meal. YMMV

...At our Walmart, on the bakery table, there are these little 3-inch pies and coffee cakes. They're full of "ingredients" but still tasty; please don't think less of me for being familiar with them...

I "noticed" that they cranked up the price 50% on those, too.

For $0.50 I'd often pick one up on a whim. No it's much easier to resist. Thank you for keeping me healthy, Walmart!

Just ate at Texas Road House - my favorite: The Road Kill chopped steak. Excellent as usual. Only issue is that it was $11 rather than $8 as it was 2 years ago. The good news: DW and I figured how to stretch the meal between two people. Road Kill comes with 2 sides. I got a baked potato and she got a baked sweet potato. We brought food home! Total with tip: $15. Not too bad for a great meal. YMMV

There is a local "Hole in the wall" here in town that has a drive thru and 1 concrete picnic table sitting under a shade tree in the parking lot. When I was wor#### I would often take my lunch at 11am to beat the crowd and eat on the table. Now I have started going by around 430 pm to beat the get off wor# folks & swing thru the drive thru. I buy one BBQ sandwich which comes with fries for $9.63 up from $6.96 it was ---tax included! Then at home we make 2 sandwiches then put te rest of the meat in the fridge for 2 more lunches within a couple of days. Another good deal is at a couple of other places my DW orders the kid meal and she can still get another meal out of it.(she is 5'4" 110 lbs soaking wet-up from 105 lbs when we married 50 yrs ago!) There are many ways to stretch a meal if you arn't afraid of leftovers. :cool:

Just stayed at a little motel / RV park on the Oregon coast in a fishing / logging town on a weekday. It cost $254 for one night which included a $25 charge for having our pooch with us. Maybe I'm out of touch, but that seems like quite an escalation.

Just dropped $55 for 3 lunches at Applebees (no drinks). I think that's about $10 more than 3 years ago but don't have documentation. Good news: Their quality seems to be back! YMMV

California Pizza Kitchen here (this is NOT California), almost ordered a club sandwich until I realized the price was $18.00. That's a bit much for a BLT with a few slices of thin ham/turkey on it. FRIES WERE EXTRA. Came with chips.

Can you tell them, "Here's $5. I will take a live chicken and save you the hassle of cooking it"?

The chicken will pay you back in eggs in 2 weeks, after that it's pure profit.

Make sure you get smart chickens. My feral hens are too dumb to choose nesting sites that are not mongoose feeders even though they have plenty of good choices. And the rooster is a big wimp. He does not protect them. But that's what you get with volunteers and squatters.

The wheat bread we buy was 3.49/loaf and now it is 4.09 at one store and 4.99 at another. The 8 pack of 12 oz Dr. Pepper jumped to 7.99. It has steadily gone up from about 3.99 over the last year. Usually it goes a dollar at a time. We buy them when they have sales.

The wheat bread we buy was 3.49/loaf and now it is 4.09 at one store and 4.99 at another. The 8 pack of 12 oz Dr. Pepper jumped to 7.99. It has steadily gone up from about 3.99 over the last year. Usually it goes a dollar at a time. We buy them when they have sales.

A dollar a can for soda pop!

I can get descent beer for very little more,and my state taxes alcohol like we are all billionaires.

I can get descent beer for very little more,and my state taxes alcohol like we are all billionaires.

It's not the soda that went up so far in price, it's the cost increases in bottling, transportation, delivery, store space rent, etc. Inflation hits the whole supply chain.

We watch the sales and they are usually 3 12 packs for $12 or a little more. DW can’t go without her daily Dr. Pepper. It’s her version of coffee. She says she accounted for prices of something’s going up i.e. property taxes and insurance for our retirement and a moderate level for other things, but not big jumps in everything.

It's not the soda that went up so far in price, it's the cost increases in bottling, transportation, delivery, store space rent, etc. Inflation hits the whole supply chain.

Very true. The wife always said everything’s going up but your paycheck. Now I don’t even have that paycheck! She is the frugal one and has trained me well so now we live pretty well even living beneath our means. Our withdrawal rate maybe 2% or even less when I start SS. She has always wanted a big cushion because she says the prices always go up!

Yep. I was shocked to see the current price of black 4" corrugated drain pipe. I can't give exact comparisons, but it seems to be about double from before the pandemic.

This is stuff made of oil. It is bulky and takes up a lot of delivery space, storage space, and so on. The whole chain's issues caused this stuff to skyrocket.

True. But wouldn't the beer supply chain also be hit with those costs?

Back
Top Bottom