Expect years of pain?

last comment on this over simplified thread. Many stocks and investments can do well, even when a nation is in decline.

Everyone is free to make his or her own assumptions. At least I gave mine, rather than sniping at someone who did state his assumptions.

Ha
Well your assumption as it relates to the leadership in this country is probably right.

I really wanted to do dividends. Unfortunately, by the time we developed our RE plan the math said that we'd have to work to normal retirement age before our portfolio size would throw off sufficient dividend dollars. Ah, well.

Remember when dividends were such a poor step-child to all the other investment strategies? :(
The good old days, when bonds were safe(r), dividends were regular and MM funds and other cash equivs paid interest. :blush: Those days will come again (right?), but it may be awhile...

Last edited:
Yeah, hopefully we can still make money in spite of them.:-\

Making money is fairly easy. Using it as a tool for the effective storage of wealth and exchanging it later for the things you really need (food, clothing, shelter, booze, etc.) is the trick.

Our leaders will no doubt figure out a way that the journal entries in our brokerage accounts increase. Whether they'll be able to ensure that we'll be able to trade these journal entries on a computer screen for the necessities of life years on down the road is an entirely different issue.........

Last edited:
The good old days, when bonds were safe(r), dividends were regular and MM funds and other cash equivs paid interest. :blush: Those days will come again (right?), but it may be awhile...

Are you familiar with the WS term "breaking the buck"? IF not you will be very shortly!

Our leaders will no doubt figure out a way that the journal entries in our brokerage accounts increase. Whether they'll be able to ensure that we'll be able to trade these journal entries on a computer screen for the necessities of life years on down the road is an entirely different issue.........

Yes, siree! For fiat money has always been of an ethereal value, and nowadays is not even printed on pieces of paper but merely binary digits on the computers. On the other hand, the necessities of life, the tangible material goods that we consume cannot be created by a magic wand, but by sweat labor.

That said, it is still better to have more of those bits than to have less. Or so I hope.

Back
Top Bottom