Feels like I'm slipping into the Twilight Zone...

Andre1969

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
...but, in a good way!

I mentioned in one of the other forums, that I hit my number last week. Mentally, I'm still processing it, and I know that the stock market can go either way, so I'm not partying like its 1929.

But, this morning, as I got ready for work, I felt like I was in a sort of limbo. And a feeling was coming over me. For some reason, it made me think of that old Twilight Zone episode, "The Hitch Hiker", where Nan Adams, a lone woman, is on a cross country trip, gets into an accident, and is dead but doesn't know it yet, and keeps seeing the same hitch hiker over and over again.

That feeling towards she gets towards the end, when she comes to terms with it, is sort of how I'm feeling now. Not that I'm feeling dead, but sort of a freeing, peaceful feeling, of moving on from one reality, to the next. One that will be better.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble on... :p

Last edited:
Ha! Twilight Zone always scared me into watching the next episode, next episode, next episode. When the reality of RE hit us, it seemed unreal. Somewhat dreamlike. I still feel that way sometimes. Work hard was beat into us from our parents. How about "encouraged" instead of "beat". This freedom does feel mystical, so I don't think you're alone.

Ha! Twilight Zone always scared me into watching the next episode, next episode, next episode. When the reality of RE hit us, it seemed unreal. Somewhat dreamlike. I still feel that way sometimes. Work hard was beat into us from our parents. How about "encouraged" instead of "beat". This freedom does feel mystical, so I don't think you're alone.

Well, I believe the next episode of the Twilight Zone was about the hypochondriac who sold his soul to the devil in exchange for immortality...so hopefully I don't go down that route! :p

Although, a line from another episode just popped into my mind, from "The Bewitching Pool"...something long the lines of "the voices will fade, over time". I'm thinking about how, once I do finally pull the plug, I might feel the draw to go back to work, but over time, that feeling will fade.

Who ever knew the Twilight Zone could be such an allegory for early retirement? :D

Well, I believe the next episode of the Twilight Zone was about the hypochondriac who sold his soul to the devil in exchange for immortality...so hopefully I don't go down that route! :p

Although, a line from another episode just popped into my mind, from "The Bewitching Pool"...something long the lines of "the voices will fade, over time". I'm thinking about how, once I do finally pull the plug, I might feel the draw to go back to work, but over time, that feeling will fade.

Who ever knew the Twilight Zone could be such an allegory for early retirement? :D
My advice: when you have more time (as in FIRE), do not watch "Black Mirror" "American Horror Story" Those can trigger nightmares and I'm loving my life too much to be bothered by the bizarre. Once in awhile I'll tune in if I'm bored then I think "oh SH-T that was too weird!" Maybe I'm getting old.

Different Twilight Zone. It was very popular as I was changing careers. Seemed fitting at the time, and when I was leaving. Who knew you could not work and survive.[emoji3]

https://youtu.be/a1sf2CzEq0w

Last edited:
I suspect that feeling, and connection to the show is simply the death of the part of you that worked because you had to... it no longer exists.

Congrats! Enjoy :)

Figured I'd post an update here, if nothing else, to ramble on. Anyway, this little hiccup in the stock market dropped me back below my magic number, which is $2M in investible assets. Went from around $2.019M to $1.962M in the course of 14 days.

But, it hasn't changed my mood any. I knew I'd probably cross that threshold multiple times. I still feel a definite end coming up at work. I had my employee review the other day. Normally I dread these things, but this time it was kind of a "meh, whatever" type of mood. And, it was a good review, but in the overall scheme of things, just didn't matter. It could very well be my last one. And even if it isn't, I found an inner peace in knowing that I only have, at the most, a few more annual reviews left.

Once I know the time really is right, I'm going to try and phase the job out, reducing my hours, taking more time off here and there, if I can get away with it. I don't think I'm ready to just quit, cold-turkey. Once I've finally transitioned to retirement though, I do have a feeling I'm going to ask myself why I didn't do it sooner! :p

Maybe you will just wake up one day and know it's time to retire. Remember no matter what happens, you can't take it with you when you go.

Numbers are great goals and we base informed decisions off them but they too can be emotional and anxiety causing. My number was less by a bit than yours but it fit the bill so I retired. Then, almost five years later my number like many others has risen substantially while allowing us to draw a nice income. So, just know you'll continue to have those ups and downs but when you're ready take the leap.

But, it hasn't changed my mood any. I knew I'd probably cross that threshold multiple times. I still feel a definite end coming up at work. I had my employee review the other day. Normally I dread these things, but this time it was kind of a "meh, whatever" type of mood. And, it was a good review, but in the overall scheme of things, just didn't matter. It could very well be my last one. And even if it isn't, I found an inner peace in knowing that I only have, at the most, a few more annual reviews left.

Once I know the time really is right, I'm going to try and phase the job out, reducing my hours, taking more time off here and there, if I can get away with it. I don't think I'm ready to just quit, cold-turkey. Once I've finally transitioned to retirement though, I do have a feeling I'm going to ask myself why I didn't do it sooner! :p

I remember having that feeling. It was quite pleasant, was a long time coming, and was unlike any other in a very good way. I also contemplated going part time before full RE, but that was really just cold feet. 3 years ago I totally pulled the plug, not partially. In the end, I did not want the downside of w**k to be reduced, I wanted it to go completely away. I can say for sure now it was a good decision.

Andre, my mother worked 4 10's toward the end of her working days. She loved it. I started one better in April. I am working 4 8's. Every Friday off. Still pulling in 6 fig's plus. It is a nice transition for me. 2019 was a weird year for taxes and a home build. 2020 should be a "normal" year and will be a good baseline for expenses. Sometime between November (2020) to March (of 2021) I am thinking about transitioning one step lower to 20 hrs/wk from home. I will still pull in 70K doing that. We'll see. One definate is that I will NEVER go back to 40 hrs/wk. Good luck with your number and your slow glide path to full FIRE.

Figured I'd post an update here, if nothing else, to ramble on. Anyway, this little hiccup in the stock market dropped me back below my magic number, which is $2M in investible assets. Went from around $2.019M to $1.962M in the course of 14 days.

When you say investible assets, does it include retirement accounts like 401k, ira ? Thank you

Great - now I'm going to have that old song stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

When you say investible assets, does it include retirement accounts like 401k, ira ? Thank you

Yes, that would be anything you can invest with.

It would exclude the value of your (non-investment) house, for example, which might be included in your net worth but can't be used to rebalance your portfolio's asset allocation.

Back
Top Bottom