Final Week at the Job Trough

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I will be having a wake this week as I will be getting my final severance paycheck and paid health benefits. :-\
The 21 year job trough has dried up. The job is dead, long live ER.

Next week, after the shock wears off (I hope) there will be citywide celebration for the event (courtesy of the tax payers ;)).

I will begin to solely depend on the financial oasis that I have build to supply me with plenty of fresh sweet water, shade and delicious dates.

MJ :D :)

MJ said:
I will begin to solely depend on the financial oasis that I have build to supply me with plenty of fresh sweet water, shade and delicious dates.

MJ :D :)

Yep. Just spread the word that you've got a "financial oasis" and women will line up to spend some time in your tent... ;)

REWahoo! said:
Yep. Just spread the word that you've got a "financial oasis" and women will line up to spend some time in your tent... ;)

Did I make a Freudian slip? :confused: :eek: :LOL:

MJ, congrats and make this last week a fun one.

Hope ya treat yourself to a vacation in Thailand. Replace the sweet water with beer courtesy of Lancelot and Ben.

And the "dates" will be sweet. Real sweeties.

I will be shopping around for the airline tickets this week and will be off to LOS late October for a short 30 day walk about.

MJ

Congratulations, MJ. I am not too far behind ya. Told the boss I was leaving several months ago and gave my 30 day notice first week of this month....let me know how it is on the other side.

Thanks for the congrats although I would have loved to receive severance and health benefits for another 6 months. Heck why not for several years.
I was layed off almost 6 months ago so being a lazy person by nature, I have loved not having to work and still getting paid for it.

Now, it truly feels like I have ER'd, so let the serious fun games begin. :bat: :D

MJ, check out Costa Rica

Continental is going non stop from Newark about $375 or so RT.
Low prices are into November.

GTM said:
MJ, check out Costa Rica

Continental is going non stop from Newark about $375 or so RT.
Low prices are into November.

Thank GTM but I am going to Thailand towards the end of October for 30 days.

MJ :D

What about unemployment benni's?

In MA it's another 26 drip.

tryan said:
What about unemployment benni's?

In MA it's another 26 drip.

Still got 9 weeks of unemployement to collect.

MJ said:
Still got 9 weeks of unemployement to collect.

God, I love unemployment. Better than sex, or at least what I remember
that sex was like :)

JG

MRGALT2U said:
God, I love unemployment. Better than sex, or at least what I remember
that sex was like :)

JG

Are you being modest again? (yeh you) I thought you said in another thread that keeping "your" babe smiling was a full time job. Knowing you, I don't think you were talking about cleaning the house clean or cooking full time, like Greg.

MJ ;)

MJ said:
Are you being modest again? (yeh you) I thought you said in another thread that keeping "your" babe smiling was a full time job. Knowing you, I don't think you were talking about cleaning the house clean or cooking full time, like Greg.

MJ ;) 

Getting into a personal area here :) I am not the man I used to be
thus the reference to "keeping her smiling being like work".
So..................I was not talking about "cooking and cleaning", just the effort
required. I know
it's normal but I don't like it much.

JG

Even if you are collecting a pension?

Need to claim "all" income while collecting ... so the payment might be tweaked downward for a pension. But nothing said you can not collect.

The MA website also said 30 weeks - not 26. $528/week max with an additional $25/kid.

http://tinyurl.com/3wx2j

Wonder what will happen when I claim all my rental income.

Also says you need to keep a log of employment opportunities and seek 3/week. Anybody have any experiance playing this game?

MODERATOR EDIT: Shortened URL (REW)

I'm 3 mos away from my last day.
I happen to have worked in unemployment and most states don't give you anything if you leave work. It sounds like you were downsized so check it out.
Here in Alaska you can quit or get fired and all you have to do is wait 7 weeks before your first check.

tryan said:
Also says you need to keep a log of employment opportunities and seek 3/week.  Anybody have any experiance playing this game?

From what I understand, applying for a job online usually counts. Nothing so involved as an interview. You can probably submit a resume online to a company website without breaking a sweat. Do think through what kinds of jobs you might apply for since there may be a possiblity of the company actually wanting to hire you. Some states might have rules that you have to accept a reasonable offer and go off unemployment.

malakito

With 9 weeks left, except for a 30 minute orientation meeting, the DOL in my state has not contacted me so far on my "job search" activity. I thought that after the 13th week, I would contacted.

most states don't give you anything if you leave work.

Thankfully I have a severance which includes unemployment bennies.

As far as a log, I figured I'ld cut n'paste from the Sunday paper 3 leads and date them.... never send a resume (as this could lead to real work). If called, I could produce the log. Leave it the "them" to chase a resume.

Good enough?

I will be joining the ranks of the unemployed very soon too :LOL:. Only just over $300/wk in TX :( I think I can make about $60/wk in another job or self-employment before they start cutting benefits. No problem, DH is going to get a fat 1099 this year.

Just wondering what happens when you go on vacation while on unemployment. I will be going on a cruise for 5 days. Do they skip benefits for that whole week or do they even tell you you can not go?

Vicky

vic said:
I will be joining the ranks of the unemployed very soon too :LOL:. Only just over $300/wk in TX :(    I think I can make about $60/wk in another job or self-employment before they start cutting benefits. No problem, DH is going to get a fat 1099 this year.

Just wondering what happens when you go on vacation while on unemployment. I will be going on a cruise for 5 days. Do they skip benefits for that whole week or do they even tell you you can not go?

Vicky

Where I have lived (several states) you have to be "available and looking for work" to get benefits. This is often interpreted very loosely :)

JG

I have a similar concern. I will be in Thailand for a month.
I figured that I would stop applying online for my weekly claims and when I returned, begin to apply again.
Since the claims system appears to be computer controlled, I wonder if a red flag would go up if I skipped 4 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom