Finally feel bad about not having a bigger house

What have the kids been doing? Indoor soccer?
Learn and teach your kids to make do with what they have and not to compare with the Joneses.

My house is plenty big enough for us, but does not adequately meet the needs of the youth group. I like cozy rooms so I don't have a large rec room in my house. The youth group that was meeting here had anywhere from 35 to a potential of 70 kids any given weekend.

Our house could manage 35 kids, but once we got to 40+, it became unmanageable

My house is plenty big enough for us, but does not adequately meet the needs of the youth group. I like cozy rooms so I don't have a large rec room in my house. The youth group that was meeting here had anywhere from 35 to a potential of 70 kids any given weekend.

Our house could manage 35 kids, but once we got to 40+, it became unmanageable

You know what? I grew up in a genuinely huge 27 room house built over a hundred years ago, with huge, huge rooms and dramatic ceilings from 14-40 feet high (yes, even my bedroom suite had 14 foot ceilings). Although my parents frequently entertained hundreds of their own colleagues and friends, they never once had 35-70 kids over there for any reason. The largest number of kids that I recall ever having over was 5-10 for a birthday party. And somehow, I had no adverse consequences from that "lack" in my life.

Has it occurred to you to wonder if your kids care, and if so, why? and what kind of expectations you are building in them for their own futures?

Is there anyone in the youth group with a house that adequately holds 70 kids? I doubt it. You might want to rent a hall or look into using the local school. Many districts rent out facilities evenings and weekends and at least they have facilities at the right scale for something like this. I don't think I've ever seen a private residence which would adequately contain a 70 member youth group.

I agree with Brewer. With what you are saving each month by not paying for a lot more house than you usually need, you can easily rent meeting space as needed and still come out ahead. Many places have these facilities and are eager to rent them out when they aren't in use in order to pick up a few extra bucks.

Sometimes my wife and I miss having a guest room in our significantly downsized house (it's only a 2/1). But when we think how many hundreds of dollars were' saving each and every month with the smaller home, we can easily spring for a week in a motel on those rare occasions when we have long-term guests.

... they never once had 35-70 kids over there for any reason. The largest number of kids that I recall ever having over was 5-10 for a birthday party. And somehow, I had no adverse consequences from that "lack" in my life.

If you are hosting 70 kids better padlock all the bedrooms and post a lot of guards. You wouldn't want 10 of them to go home pregnant.

Ha

You know what? I grew up in a genuinely huge 27 room house built over a hundred years ago, with huge, huge rooms and dramatic ceilings from 14-40 feet high (yes, even my bedroom suite had 14 foot ceilings). Although my parents frequently entertained hundreds of their own colleagues and friends, they never once had 35-70 kids over there for any reason. The largest number of kids that I recall ever having over was 5-10 for a birthday party. And somehow, I had no adverse consequences from that "lack" in my life.

Has it occurred to you to wonder if your kids care, and if so, why? and what kind of expectations you are building in them for their own futures?

Actually, I'm the only one who cares or feels badly about the situation. My daughter was thrilled that the group would no longer be meeting at our house because it meant she would no longer have to help clean up after everyone left, and she could skip the meeting if she didn't feel like going.

You feel bad because your home is too small for a group of more than 40 people to meet there?
I have a feeling that you do not feel bad because you think you let your daughter down but just because some of the other parents have bigger houses.
... Joneses...

Back
Top Bottom