First tangible evidence that my ER is nearing!

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Went to my doctor today, and next appointment is 6 months from now. So, the assistant picked April 9, and mentioned she knows I need an appointment late in the day. Ahhh, did it feel good to say, "Actually, I'll be retired by then so any time is good."
Never thought I'd be happy to see a doctor, but my appointment is for 10 AM!

Went to my doctor today, and next appointment is 6 months from now. So, the assistant picked April 9, and mentioned she knows I need an appointment late in the day. Ahhh, did it feel good to say, "Actually, I'll be retired by then so any time is good."
Never thought I'd be happy to see a doctor, but my appointment is for 10 AM!

That's still kinda early for me. I usually pick something after one as I sleep to 10am and exercise till noon. ;)

Very cool.

I had a similar experience - I always asked the dentist for an 8am cleaning so I could go there first before going into w*rk. It felt so good to tell them they could give my precious 8am slot to someone who needed it now (I didn't mention I would probably still be in my jammies then...)

still like to see doc early, before any delays during his day snowball into a huge wait time. also before the place fills up with sick folks' germs -heh

Don't know if I'm an exception, here, or if I'll change after March 1. But I'm an early riser. I'm genuinely looking forward to waking up at 6 AM so I can go swimming at the pool, run, cycle, whatever and then do the non-athletic things the rest of the day.

still like to see doc early, before any delays during his day snowball into a huge wait time. also before the place fills up with sick folks' germs -heh
same here. Doc, dentist, haircut early before schedules fall apart.

Don't know if I'm an exception, here, or if I'll change after March 1. But I'm an early riser. I'm genuinely looking forward to waking up at 6 AM so I can go swimming at the pool, run, cycle, whatever and then do the non-athletic things the rest of the day.

Before I retired, I felt the same since by 6 AM I was at my desk at work every morning. I loved getting up early and only wished I could enjoy the morning instead of having to go in to work. I self-identified as a dedicated "morning person", but really did not have a clue since I had never in my life been free to choose when I got up.

Now that I am retired, I find myself sleeping late, late, late. In fact, I now set an alarm so that I will get up at 8 or 9 AM and not sleep through the entire morning. Otherwise I tend to conform to a 25-26 hour day and sleep an hour later each day. My retired brother is the same and suggests that we are really space aliens from another planet. :ROFLMAO:

I exercise around 2 PM, but that is nice, too! There are lots of other happy retirees at the gym at that time. :D

Now that I am retired, I find myself sleeping late, late, late.

My natural circadian rhythms are such that I'm a nightowl, though I can adapt to early mornings. OTOH, DW is, by nature, a morning person, despite the clock-smashing ceremony (like yourself, it was the onus of having to rise early rather than by choice). Having opposite rhythms has made for some interesting times...

After retiring, we still had to get up early, but instead of for w*rk, to take care of the needs of the beast (Ol' Furface. For the uninitiated, it's a scientific fact that dog stomachs are accurate to within 1 minute.) Over the next few months, DW began to sleep in later as well (partly due to being able to stay up a little later than she could as a wage slave). Ol' Furface has been slowly acclimated (they're remarkably adaptable) a few minutes at a time, but have no concern -- the new "time" is now as accurate as the old "time".

Tyro

We love getting up early because sunrise is such a special time to enjoy the outdoors. I loved sleeping in on weekends when I was working. Now, retired, I don't want to miss that special time. We usually have finished breakfast before sunrise.

Before I retired, I felt the same since by 6 AM I was at my desk at work every morning. I loved getting up early and only wished I could enjoy the morning instead of having to go in to work. I self-identified as a dedicated "morning person", but really did not have a clue since I had never in my life been free to choose when I got up.

Now that I am retired, I find myself sleeping late, late, late. In fact, I now set an alarm so that I will get up at 8 or 9 AM and not sleep through the entire morning. Otherwise I tend to conform to a 25-26 hour day and sleep an hour later each day. My retired brother is the same and suggests that we are really space aliens from another planet. :ROFLMAO:

I exercise around 2 PM, but that is nice, too! There are lots of other happy retirees at the gym at that time. :D

This is interesting. I think of myself as a morning person too. I have been thinking I will get up around the same early time in retirement and head to the gym. It will be interesting to see if I do the same as you and start to sleep in longer.

Actually, I am really hoping that I can get better sleep once retire. I have a heck of a time getting a good night sleep. I can fall asleep, but I tend to wake up a few hours later then toss and turn the rest of the night.

Helen said:
Actually, I am really hoping that I can get better sleep once retire. I have a heck of a time getting a good night sleep. I can fall asleep, but I tend to wake up a few hours later then toss and turn the rest of the night.

I do this frequently, but there's that pressure to keep trying, because I don't function well on 4-5 hours of sleep. But once FIREd, if I wake, I'll just get up, and try again later...

Sleep deprivation seems to be pretty common among working people and I was no exception.

I sleep like a ROCK in retirement. Before ER I would sometimes stay awake, tossing and turning and fussing over work related things. Sometimes I would even have to get up and do something else in order to stop worrying and fussing. Or, I would awaken in the middle of the night thinking that I had forgotten to do something at work, and experience similar fussing and worrying. None of this happens to me any more at all. :D

My only sleep issues are due to not having an externally imposed time to awaken (and bedtime) and learning that ignoring this just does not work for me. Like a kid, I just do not want to go to bed sometimes and if I stay up later, I sleep later in the morning, and later each morning than the one before. This does not work for me. For some reason I need a regular schedule but did not know that, and my body did not just automatically provide one for me. I guess that is a skill that I need to learn.

I now awaken to the gentle sounds of morning birdsongs, that my new alarm clock will play for me. No more buzzers, though, and instead of bounding out of bed in 3 seconds or so, I allow myself to drift and awaken gradually over 15 - 20 minutes.

I still have an occasional nightmare, but that is about all that can disturb my sleep.

Last edited:
W2R said:
Sleep deprivation seems to be pretty common among working people and I was no exception.

I sleep like a ROCK in retirement. Before ER I would sometimes stay awake, tossing and turning and fussing over work related things. Sometimes I would even have to get up and do something else in order to stop worrying and fussing. Or, I would awaken in the middle of the night thinking that I had forgotten to do something at work, and experience similar fussing and worrying. None of this happens to me any more at all. :D

My only sleep issues are due to not having an externally imposed time to awaken (and bedtime) and learning that ignoring this just does not work for me. Like a kid, I just do not want to go to bed sometimes and if I stay up later, I sleep later in the morning, and later each morning than the one before. This does not work for me. For some reason I need a regular schedule but did not know that, and my body did not just automatically provide one for me. I guess that is a skill that I need to learn.

I now awaken to the gentle sounds of morning birdsongs, that my new alarm clock will play for me. No more buzzers, though, and instead of bounding out of bed in 3 seconds or so, I allow myself to drift and awaken gradually over 15 - 20 minutes.

I still have an occasional nightmare, but that is about all that can disturb my sleep.

I would love to have your problem! My sleeping soundness has not improved in ER at all. If sound sleeping like you have is a forced trade off of having a 25 hour day like you mentioned before, I would gladly take it. It's not like I am tired or anything during the day even though I only sleep about 5-6 good hours, its about the fact I really enjoy sleeping.

I enjoy sleeping too, Mulligan! You're right - - I am very lucky. I have always been a very light sleeper, and I don't think I have ever slept as deeply as I have since ER. This morning I didn't even know who or where I was when my birdsongs CD awakened me. :LOL: I haven't slept this deeply since I was a little child. I sleep about 7.5 hours each night, and sometimes/usually take a very refreshing half hour or hour nap during the evening news.

Maybe the compulsively regular habit of going to the gym on MWF that F and I have developed helps. I get lots more exercise than I did as a cubicle denizen.

If you really aren't tired after 5-6 hours sleep, then maybe that is all you need. Many people seem to need less sleep as they grow older, than they did in their youth.

Last edited:
Another vote for much better sleep post-ER.

Like W2R, I would often have trouble going to sleep due to stressful w*rk thoughts and/or would often wake up in the middle of the night for the same reason. Better sleep was one of the first tangible benefits of ER for me.

I do not miss the 5:45 alarm clock (even with classical music playing). I generally wake up between 7:30-8:30 depending on how late bedtime was. DH has morning commitments several days a week, but enjoys sleeping very late (11:00-ish!) about once a week.

The surprise was that I thought I would be an earlier riser (before 7am) but it takes an alarm to get me up that early - which I try to avoid whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom