First Trip to London

Lodell

Dryer sheet wannabe
I hope to travel to London next year. I sure could use any advice on where to stay, shop, etc. I plan to be there for about 5 days. I hope that a friend will be able to travel with me, but if not, I will be a woman traveling alone.

Thanks

I was there about 3 years ago and will be back! 5 days is not enough time to do everything you want, that's for sure (which is why I will be back). My favorite places to see included The British Museum (especially the must-see Rosetta Stone and Elgin Marbles), The British Library (especially the musical scores), The Tower of London (we wrote ahead to get in to see the Ceremony of the Keys), the British War Rooms, the V&A museum, the National Gallery, Hampton Court Palace (a bit outside of the city but a must-see if you're a Tudor-buff)...I could go on.

We got the London Pass and got our money's worth by seeing a ton of the exhibits -- definitely worth it for us.

We rented an apartment, but for 5 days, not sure it would be worth it. Can't help you with the shopping -- I don't think I even bought any souvenirs.

Just writing this has made me think back on that trip with such fondness. I can't wait to go back!

Prepare yourself to be disappointed with your hotels. They are extremely expensive for what you get. Once you are over that London is great! Been thete dozens of times. If you have a fairly high budget I could recommend some hotels. Consider getting a private guide for a day or two-again quite expensive but really enhances your experience. You will want to see all the usual sights and these are well documented. Better to travel in the off season as the weather is usually pretty bad whenever you go. Have fun.

When I was there I did some great walking tours with this group:

London Walks

Lots of choices. No need to make a reservation. Great, well-informed guides. They meet just outside tube stations -- so you can meet up with them easily.

omni

One of the offbeat things I think is fun is to take one of the fast boats from downtown out to Greenwich and visit the Royal Observatory. Great exhibits, and you can stand with one foot on either side of the Prime Meridian (silly, but memorable). Then check out the Cutty Sark, a magnificent old sailing ship. Have lunch in a pub, walk through the tunnel under the Thames, and take the tube back to the city.

One of the offbeat things I think is fun is to take one of the fast boats from downtown out to Greenwich and visit the Royal Observatory. Great exhibits, and you can stand with one foot on either side of the Prime Meridian (silly, but memorable). Then check out the Cutty Sark, a magnificent old sailing ship. Have lunch in a pub, walk through the tunnel under the Thames, and take the tube back to the city.

I didn't know there was a tunnel under the river.... and I lived there for 14 months...

Agree about the Royal Observatory and Cutty Sark.... there are pubs EVERYWHERE... and some have some good food.... fried fare, but good...

I didn't know there was a tunnel under the river.... and I lived there for 14 months...

Agree about the Royal Observatory and Cutty Sark.... there are pubs EVERYWHERE... and some have some good food.... fried fare, but good...

The tunnel is a little damp and musty (it's LONG) but a perfectly fine walk. The last time I did it was at least ten years ago.

You probably haven't been to England recently. Gastropubs are the thing now, and you can get some amazingly good food in many of them. Pick up a copy of one of the CAMRA guides at any bookstore, and you'll eat wonderful food, reasonably priced.

The tunnel is a little damp and musty (it's LONG) but a perfectly fine walk. The last time I did it was at least ten years ago.

You probably haven't been to England recently. Gastropubs are the thing now, and you can get some amazingly good food in many of them. Pick up a copy of one of the CAMRA guides at any bookstore, and you'll eat wonderful food, reasonably priced.

Do you know where it was located:confused: Heck, I used to walk across the bridges all the time... so it being long was not a problem...

Except for some Indian food, the UK is not known for good food... unless you are going to the expensive places..

True, I have not been there for over 10 years.... I am sure a lot has changed.

To the OP... be ready for sticker shock... whatever we pay a dollar for hear, expect to pay one pound for it there... so you pay at least 50% more (hey, what is the exchange rate now??)...

5 days is a little on the short side, but I think you can see most of what you want to see, or at the very least all the important stuff, in that period of time. DW and I went 2 years ago for our 25th anniversary, in one long trip that included a week in Hawaii to get DD settled in at university, and 4 days of meetings for megacorp in Germany on the backside of our visit to London. We stayed in London for 5 full days and at the end, we had gone completely thru our list of things we had wanted to see. Honestly, by that time we were exhausted, because we walked to and from most of the venues, between venues, and back to the hotel most days, with a bus ride here and there. This was in September, and for then entire 5 days we were there we had mostly sunny conditions with a few clouds here and there. It rained as we were at the airport leaving for Germany. It was cool in the mornings, but since we did a lot of walking, we kept warm enough in either short sleeves for me, and briefly here and there a very light sweater for DW. I would say go prepared for worse weather than that, but that's how the weather treated us.

The attractions noted above cover most of what we visited. I advise that you get a travel guide, read thru it and decide which attractions are of most interest long before you go so you can plan the "must see" list, and also perhaps a day or two of spontaneous wandering.

Good luck and have fun!

R

The Indian food is very good - better than we have here, for the most part. I'm guessing it's due to the much higher Indian population in the UK and the resulting greater competition.

My brother and his wife live in a village in the Midlands. It's not a densely populated urban area, but they have an Indian restaurant nearby that has great food - and amazing Balti.

When I was there I did some great walking tours with this group:

London Walks

Lots of choices. No need to make a reservation. Great, well-informed guides. They meet just outside tube stations -- so you can meet up with them easily.

omni

+1 We've done several of these and all have been great fun, including the evening walk visiting off the beaten track pubs.

As for hotels, the last twice we have been we have stayed in the LSE dorms during the summer months. Excellent value, twin beds, en-suite bathroom, great breakfast. 2005 stayed at the LSE by the Post Office tower, last year we were on the banks of the Thames right by the Tate Modern and Globe Theatre.

LSE Vacations- budget central London accommodation

We did this last year, and yes, it was excellent. Also did the meridian thing. Note to the OP - see my clothing, this was July 16th, be prepared for cold damp weather even in the summer.

Attachments

• London - Greenwich - Alan in 2 hemispheres.jpg
    London - Greenwich - Alan in 2 hemispheres.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the link.... I think I saw that building when I visited Cutty Sark... didn't know there was a tunnel... and nobody told me about it when I lived there...

I wonder how much use it gets....

DW used it last time she went to London in 2005. She took the boat to Greenwich, walked through the tunnel and caught the DLR (Docklands Light Rail) back to the center.

Last edited:
Prepare yourself to be disappointed with your hotels. They are extremely expensive for what you get. Once you are over that London is great! Been thete dozens of times. If you have a fairly high budget I could recommend some hotels. Consider getting a private guide for a day or two-again quite expensive but really enhances your experience. You will want to see all the usual sights and these are well documented. Better to travel in the off season as the weather is usually pretty bad whenever you go. Have fun.

Premier Inn Hotels chain is something that is always value for money!! I stayed over at their Hammersmith chain and it was well worth the price they charged, although the food could be a wee bit of an issue if you are picky!

Premier Inn Hotels chain is something that is always value for money!! I stayed over at their Hammersmith chain and it was well worth the price they charged, although the food could be a wee bit of an issue if you are picky!

I've not stayed in Premier Inn hotels in London, but have stayed in them in other cities in the UK and can add my endorsement to their value.

DW used it last time she went to London in 2005. She took the boat to Greenwich, walked through the tunnel and caught the DLR (Docklands Light Rail) back to the center.

We were there this spring - the Cutty Sark is under renovation until next spring (deterioration and a fire a few years back). At the same time, they're renovating the entrances to the tunnel under the Thames. It's used frequently, I think - but maybe not so much now that you have to take the stairs on both sides! It's fun just for the experience....wondering about those wet spots and what that means!:eek:. We also took the boat down to Greenwich (actually, we went down to the Thames Barrier, because I just find it so darned fascinating, and then got off at Greenwich), walked under the Thames and took the DLR back. It was our first time on the DLR, and we thoroughly enjoyed the views that you get from above ground!

Slightly OT Question--in re Edinburgh

We are preparing for a 5-day weekend in the UK that includes Edinburgh and one day in Glasgow at the end of Aug, the tail end of the Fringe Festival. There is still the possibility of tickets for the Tattoo, but may not work.

Does anyone (Alan??) have a suggestion for a B&B or hotel close (or accessable) to the action in Edinburgh? I realize that less-than-dear lodging in E at Fringe may be a problem.

Cheers,

Gypsy

We are preparing for a 5-day weekend in the UK that includes Edinburgh and one day in Glasgow at the end of Aug, the tail end of the Fringe Festival. There is still the possibility of tickets for the Tattoo, but may not work.

Does anyone (Alan??) have a suggestion for a B&B or hotel close (or accessable) to the action in Edinburgh? I realize that less-than-dear lodging in E at Fringe may be a problem.

Cheers,

Gypsy

Although we've visited Edinburgh many times, DW's sister and family have lived there for about 20 years so we never have stayed in a hotel or B&B.

We've used Premier Inn several times in England this last couple of years and they have been very affordable and very good. They have several hotels in Edinburgh.

If you are looking at hotels and B&B's in the area you may like to see the frequency and ease of the buses from where they are located. You can use Traveline to do this. Traveline will give walking and bus & rail times.

Alan, I have just found that it is impossible for me to contact Premier Inn. Their web site does not like my postal code or telephone number and prevents sending an e-mail or booking without them. Furthermore, they bill 10p per minute for calls to their service number. I do not think they will take a Skype call from Azerbaijan.

I suppose they do not want business from outside the UK.

Alan, I have just found that it is impossible for me to contact Premier Inn. Their web site does not like my postal code or telephone number and prevents sending an e-mail or booking without them. Furthermore, they bill 10p per minute for calls to their service number. I do not think they will take a Skype call from Azerbaijan.

I suppose they do not want business from outside the UK.

I guess that we have never booked them from outside the UK before. This year and last we have spent several months here, plus we have a UK bank so I never noticed that problem before. Sorry about that.

I've used Travelodge here before as well, and they are also good and inexpensive. Don't know about booking from abroad. If you Google "Accommodation Edinburgh" you'll get a good selection of hotels. Sorry I can't give any more specific names.

We are on our way out now to walk another section of The Cleveland Way. Good luck marra, and do let us know how you get on.

Alan,

Surprise! Skype did work! Got it sorted out. The instructions on the web site were not clear enough (for me).

Thanks again. I hope you enjoy your walk.

Premier Inn is the best cheap UK chain. Breakfast is very good, although the other food in the attached "Beefeater" chain restaurants is not so great.

However, their rates in London are very high.

Friends of ours stayed here and reported a good experience. Rooms are basic (bathroom down the hall in some cases) but you aren't spending $250 a night.

Alan,

Surprise! Skype did work! Got it sorted out. The instructions on the web site were not clear enough (for me).

Thanks again. I hope you enjoy your walk.

Good news, I love that Skype. Now I just home Premier Inn lives up to expectations in Edinburgh for you.

Great day here. Moors bus to Clay Bank, 12 mile hike to Osmotherly and bus home. Shorts and T-Shirts all the way. Lots of up and down, climbed a total of 2,450'.

Back
Top Bottom