Fourth new roof in 8 years! WTH?

The sky is the limit after all you could go with copper roofing, which would turn a nice green after a couple of years.
The trick is to look for class 4 impact resistance. Here is a link to a web site that provides details on the testing: Blueprint for Safety

Note that shakes and tiles are tested using iceballs, instead of steel balls.

I found a link to a listing of class 4 impact resistant and wind resistant asphalt shingles: http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Roofs/wind-resistant-asphalt-shingles:
These materials cost about 50% more than regular shingles, but install the same according to the web site. Owens Corning is one of the manufactures listed.

The Toolbase link you provided didn't work for me ... but here's a link to the material we used -- it does have Class 4 impact resistance. Metal Roofing Kenloc - American Construction Metals - ACM

The thing that turned me away from asphalt shingles was that I installed a Certainteed 30-year shingle in 1996. It was shedding grit within a year and seemed inclined to lift in high wind. I looked around and found class-action suits against several organic shingle manufacturers, including Certainteed and Owens Corning, for premature shingle failure. When a windstorm came through and ripped up the roof a few years ago, I knew how I was going to spend the insurance money.

You guys in WI get tons of snow on the roof. I lived there (Janesville) for awhile. That stuff gets pretty heavy, I imagine. I liked looking at it (the white stuff) but wasn't so crazy about having to clear it off my driveway, sidewalk, front porch, mailbox etc.! Nice place to live, though.

Steel roofing sheds snow -- another reason why I like it. You don't want to be standing under the eaves when it decides to slide off, though!

Steel roofing sheds snow -- another reason why I like it. You don't want to be standing under the eaves when it decides to slide off, though!

Or have a deck or anything that could be crushed. A friend had a metal roof and snow coming off the roof cleaned off his bathroom vent pipe. Have also known of deck railings being damaged. But we get a lot more snow than many places.

Or have a deck or anything that could be crushed. A friend had a metal roof and snow coming off the roof cleaned off his bathroom vent pipe. Have also known of deck railings being damaged. But we get a lot more snow than many places.

I have a small vestibule roof that gets hit regularly. It also has a steel roof, so it reverberates a bit. :D

Big buildings with similar roofs often have snow dams on them to minimize the avalanche effect. You can see them halfway up the roof in this photo of the US Cellular Arena in Milwaukee.

My roofer quoted me 30k for metal vs 9 for asphalt. Asphalt it is.

This is only the second roof my insurer is paying for. The other two were before we bought the house.

My front side of the metal roof has a second slope so it mostly melts off slowly. But the back side is a straight shot downhill. And boy does it make me jump when it slams on the deck! It doesn't ever hit the deck railings though. I noticed many other metal roof neighbors have snow guards on them. I don't know if they work or not. I was worried it may hurt the gutters coming down, but it appears to slide off fast right over the top. Some seriously mean icicles can form the ends of the roof I noticed, too. I never had them when the roof was shingled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see snow guards often. I suspect they break up/slow down the snow some and would help protect whatever is below.

I considered a metal roof when we rebuilt but we have a nice deck with a cable rail on the lake side and I didn't want to see it wrecked by sliding snow like a neighbor's had been so we went with asphalt shingles.

What kind of shingles are you using? I replaced the original asphalt roof on my house last year (house was built in 1994) due to hail damage. The house originally had three-tab shingles. Both the insurance adjuster and the roofer recommended spending the extra couple hundred dollars to get architectural shingles. Their reasoning was that fewer and fewer people are using three-tab shingles, and the manufacturing quality of that type of shingle has declined over the past several years. I got the architectural shingles, and they look nice. I hope it's the only roof I put on this house before I move somewhere else!

Back
Top Bottom