Free Turbo Tax Premier available on Fidelity

I switched from Turbo Tax to H&R Block years ago because H&R is always cheaper (and they do taxes). And it's always cheaper every year.

The switch was easy as it imported the previous year TT info.
I just bought this year Fed & State for $21
I just received a free H&R Block Deluxe + State disc w/ free e-file in the mail. I used them 3 years ago so I think they want me back.:cool: Back when I made the change to TT, I really didn't see any real difference between comparable versions of TT and H&R. I'll stick w/ my free TT (Fidelity) as long as they keep offering it. I'll give the H&R disc to whichever of my kids wants it.

No free Fidelity TurboTax offer for me. Assets at Fidelity are $1.5M+ but I seldom trade. Guess I need to investigate PCG status.

No free Fidelity TurboTax offer for me. Assets at Fidelity are $1.5M+ but I seldom trade. Guess I need to investigate PCG status.

About the same size account for us, and probably 20-30 trades per year...but ours shows as Fidelity Premium Service. :(

Wow.... I would think you could easily transfer at least half that 1.5M to Chuck or TD "in kind" so no tax effect, and be paid up to $2,000 for the effort.
Which isn't an effort since they do all the work.

From what I am seeing, this is the same offer available to the public. You can file 1040a and 1040ez both fed and state for free using their online software. If you need more option than that you'll have to pay something.

Note, I'm not a Fidelity member...

From what I am seeing, this is the same offer available to the public. You can file 1040a and 1040ez both fed and state for free using their online software. If you need more option than that you'll have to pay something.

In fairness you should include all of what the offer says. You'll qualify for using it if:

You made less than 100k
Don't own a home or rental property
Didn't sell investments
Don't own a business or have 1099 income
Don't have major medical expenses

Not really, The Fidelity deal is for TurboTax Premier version "downloaded". At least it was for me. The lower featured TT Deluxe version would cost us money. Go figure! I'm not complaining mind you. The general public can file using TT Basic "online" version. for free.

Whether you want or need one version or another is up to the individual's situation and preference. I like having the program on my local drive so I can play with various scenarios. And, I know I'm actually wrong on this point, I feel my personal data is just a bit more secure.

Note, I am a Fidelity client.

pasted from chat session with Fidelity,
"You are part of our Active Trader group. Perry to be candid you do not qualify for the free offer. You did meet the minimum number of trades needed, however, you need a non-retirement account to qualify".

I was able to do the Fidelity Premier download today. Thanks to Audrey for the hint to click on the see products tab.

The free TurboTax offer hasn't been available to me so last week I bought a copy at Costco and installed it. Also noted that my Fidelity end of year tax documents became available late last week.

So today I log in to my Fidelity account and see my offer for free TurboTax Premier.

A little late, I guess. Or I was too early buying a copy. But I have no idea why I've suddenly become eligible for the free offer.

It scanned your computer when you logged in, noticed you have it already and then offered it. ;)

The free TurboTax offer hasn't been available to me so last week I bought a copy at Costco and installed it. Also noted that my Fidelity end of year tax documents became available late last week.

So today I log in to my Fidelity account and see my offer for free TurboTax Premier.

A little late, I guess. Or I was too early buying a copy. But I have no idea why I've suddenly become eligible for the free offer.

Likewise I just got the free offer from Fidelity sometime in the last few days. I ran what info I had and it concurred with my paper form calculations. With the 1099's piling up I may use it after all.

I've got one 1099R, but no 1095's or 1099 composites, so still plenty of time for getting software. I usually don't file until a bit later anyway as I expect at least one 1099 composite will have a correction. This usually is just re-characterizing some dividends. But this keeps me from doing amended returns.. at least usually.

Call your Fidelity rep. Tell him this story. I bet they'll reimburse you and may need a copy of the receipt.

Last edited:
If you compare trading service levels you can see a table that lists all of the benefits of 'Active Trader Services' and 'Active Trader VIP' status and one of them is "Free TurboTax® Premier Online". If you don't meet the qualifications for one of these levels it says you qualify for a discount on TurboTax (does not specify which version).

Qualifications

Active Trader Services

Trades: 120+ stock, bond, or option trades in a 12-month period
Minimum balance: Maintain $25,000 in assets across your Fidelity accounts

Active Trader VIP

Trades: 500+ stock, bond, or option trades in a 12-month period
Minimum balance: Maintain $1,000,000 in assets across your Fidelity accounts

You don't have to be an active trader to get TT Premier free at Fidelity.

If you compare trading service levels you can see a table that lists all of the benefits of 'Active Trader Services' and 'Active Trader VIP' status and one of them is "Free TurboTax® Premier Online". If you don't meet the qualifications for one of these levels it says you qualify for a discount on TurboTax (does not specify which version).

Qualifications

Active Trader Services

Trades: 120+ stock, bond, or option trades in a 12-month period
Minimum balance: Maintain $25,000 in assets across your Fidelity accounts

Active Trader VIP

Trades: 500+ stock, bond, or option trades in a 12-month period
Minimum balance: Maintain $1,000,000 in assets across your Fidelity accounts

I wasted half an hour on phone yesterday and was bumped to three diff people. Same explanation as above was given. I've 2.5M+ with Fidelity but they won't give me free TT as it's External Advisor Managed account. I also have another 200K not advisor managed but that requires that 500/120 trades per year...so basically spend 1K-5K in transaction cost with Fidelity and they'll give me free TT...What a great deal!:LOL:

Last edited:
Purchased the TurboTax 2016 Premier disc through Costco for $70 and sent the invoice to my Fidelity Private Client rep. Full reimbursement deposited directly to my account.

Purchased the TurboTax 2016 Premier disc through Costco for $70 and sent the invoice to my Fidelity Private Client rep. Full reimbursement deposited directly to my account.

My rep mentioned he would do the same for me. Do you bring it in to the Fidelity office or do you typically just email him a scan of your Costco invoice?

Now you have it --now you don't..
Back in December I checked my FIDO account to see if I had the free TT offer as in past years. All it showed was a $20 discount. I usually have to wait until late Feb to collect my 1099's so I hoped the tooth fairy would bring the free offer in January. Yes, the free fed/state offer appeared in late January, but I'm still not ready to begin.
So today was my planned start date (Feb 12) but alas, my account now shows only the $20 deal.:(
Has any one else experienced this give/take away stuff?

Back
Top Bottom