Friction in using CC points

For anyone who signs up for multiple cards for the promotional points or rewards do you worry about giving your personal information to so many companies?
I suppose it does increase the likelihood my data will be lost to the bad guys ... AGAIN ... but having more banks with my info is less of a worry than more web sites and stores. I never save my card info on a site, partly because if I buy again, I'll probably be working a different CC angle, but also so they aren't able to give it to the bad guys. One can't avoid the things like the skimmer network that Target allowed to be installed and operate, but that would hit even the guy with one card.

In 2013 I hit the points/miles cards pretty hard. $17,000 worth of rebates, miles, and hotel points.

If you need to hit a spending amount to earn the loot, consider buying gift cards at the grocery store, or pre-pay your electric bill for several months.

For anyone who signs up for multiple cards for the promotional points or rewards do you worry about giving your personal information to so many companies?

No I don’t. I have about 6 cards that are used regularly. I figured it doesn’t matter if one of them has it, it’s probably beyond my control what they do with it. I don’t think I’ve given out that much info anyway. Several pester me to update my income but I always ignore it.

I work with a guy who books my tickets for me with points. He is well versed in the points game and he gets me a lot for my points. Its worth it to me for international travel

I have had a LOT of charging the last few years, and I have done the same thing, 2 new cars, ($4k on one, $5k another max allowed), travel first class, bought a new townhouse, many appliances, moving costs, many repairs to the sold house, vet & Dr bills (some ER & surgeries), all food (remember when you thought it was ridiculous to pay for groceries with a CC, like WHO does that?), we eat out a lot, any utility that takes CCs, gift cards to pay bills in advance for aome that don’t, plus we pay for (and get reimbursed) for every bill, including visiting nurse twice a week for DSS GM, and the most I could manage was a bit over $60k in one year!! This year, will be maybe $55k.

And when I discuss this tactic, I am stared at like I must be crazy to spend so much. But we literally, except for travel and dining out, (and the new cars) are still pretty careful with our money, and I see those numbers dropping significantly now that the big items are all gone. In our case, we have been doing international travel in business and first class the last couple of years, and did 100k point sign up bonuses with Amex and British Air/Chase, so that we would have the points to use the free companion ticket that BA gives if you charge $30k/calendar year. You only pay VAT/fuel charges per ticket, about $2k/total for two tickets that would cost from $8k to $14k AFTER TAX, if purchased. At this point, we only want to fly business or first for international travel, so that reward rate is very high, like 25 to 45 %, but only if that is worth it for you, and it takes buying the ticket a year in advance, before the pricey seats disappear. So far we have made/scheduled4 trips like that.

But the catch is, you have to have the points to get that high level of travel, so that isn't very sustainable long term, once the bonuses are gone, as each trip is at least 100k points. It barely makes sense to pass up $600 in cash back for a free premium economy, except that none of the ticket values are taxed like cash back is.

Last edited:
Always interesting to see many younger folks paying with debit cards vs. credit cards.
If one pays off their CC bills monthly like most do here I suppose, not sure why I would ever use a debit card except for ATM.

Always interesting to see many younger folks paying with debit cards vs. credit cards.
If one pays off their CC bills monthly like most do here I suppose, not sure why I would ever use a debit card except for ATM.

Same here!

I think the banks have successfully marketed debit cards as somehow better than credit cards, despite the fact that they are usually only better for the bank, not the customer!

I think the banks have successfully marketed debit cards as somehow better than credit cards, despite the fact that they are usually only better for the bank, not the customer!

They have certainly convinced DW who has an irrational dread for using credit cards. Some folks despise owing anything at all even if it’s just till the bill is due so they use debit or pay CC before it’s due.

They have certainly convinced DW who has an irrational dread for using credit cards. Some folks despise owing anything at all even if it’s just till the bill is due so they use debit or pay CC before it’s due.

For a lot of people, a debit card (or cash) is a much better option than a CC. My sister-in-law is much better off with her debit cards. Once SIL obtains a CC, it's immediately maxed out and she pays the minimum for years. I also don't encourage my kids to use CC's while they are just starting out in life. I remember when I was in my 20's, young and stupid, I was using cash advances on one card to pay the minimum on other maxed out cards. Took us years to finally get out of that hole.

I think using "CC's for everything" should be used by people that have "extra" money - making it easy to pay off monthly. Others should stick to cash and debit. Most on this forum have no problems paying off their CC debt monthly. Others, not so much.

I also don't encourage my kids to use CC's while they are just starting out in life. I remember when I was in my 20's, young and stupid, I was using cash advances on one card to pay the minimum on other maxed out cards. Took us years to finally get out of that hole.

I think using "CC's for everything" should be used by people that have "extra" money - making it easy to pay off monthly. Others should stick to cash and debit. Most on this forum have no problems paying off their CC debt monthly. Others, not so much.

I'm encouraging my young adult kids to use cash back credit cards starting out. They've proven themselves in how they handled their money already when they were minors. They understand CC's are a tool to be used to their advantage, not to buy what you can't afford. A stable job and enough of a cushion in the bank are prerequisites before applying for one. We also made them authorized users on one of our cards to help them build a credit score. We gave them the cards and they were more than responsible, always asking permission before they used it, and paying us for the purchase (less the cash back) when the bill came in.

I, too, wasn't so great with money in my 20's, but I had extenuating circumstances at the time unrelated to self-discipline issues. It wouldn't be a valid benchmark to use on my kids.

I'm encouraging my young adult kids to use cash back credit cards starting out. They've proven themselves in how they handled their money already when they were minors. They understand CC's are a tool to be used to their advantage, not to buy what you can't afford. A stable job and enough of a cushion in the bank are prerequisites before applying for one. We also made them authorized users on one of our cards to help them build a credit score. We gave them the cards and they were more than responsible, always asking permission before they used it, and paying us for the purchase (less the cash back) when the bill came in.

I, too, wasn't so great with money in my 20's, but I had extenuating circumstances at the time unrelated to self-discipline issues. It wouldn't be a valid benchmark to use on my kids.

We put our kids as authorized users on several of our credit cards. It really helped my middle daughter's score and came in handy when it came time for her to get her first mortgage. She has a CC, but as far as I know doesn't use it.

Oldest child has a CC, but she's better off not using it. I remember several years ago she decided that she "just wasn't going to worry about paying on her card anymore". That didn't work out well.

Thanks to Target, Experian, the Fed OPM (among others over the years), my answer is not anymore. :mad:

Used cash reserve bonus for $2300 worth of plane tickets roundtrip to Athens non stop on American Airlines.

Hard to complain about free....but I am sure I can find something.....Like when I complain about free food through a gift card....

You only pay VAT/fuel charges per ticket, about $2k/total for two tickets that would cost from $8k to $14k AFTER TAX, if purchased.

[...]

It barely makes sense to pass up $600 in cash back for a free premium economy, except that none of the ticket values are taxed like cash back is.

You might be able to lower your costs even further. If you're flying into LHR, consider flying into LGW or Ireland instead. I think some of those charges may be strictly LHR related.

Cash back (and other rebates and discounts, like free airline tickets, or miles) on personal credit cards is generally not taxed. It's considered a rebate on the previous purchases. (Bonuses on bank checking accounts are usually treated as interest paid, and are taxable, but I think most of the talk on this thread has been about credit card rebates.)

True dat.

Yes, the fees are Heathrow (and Gatwick I believe) related, and only for entering internationally. BA knows that, and precious few destinations can be reached that one can use the BOGO ticket on without going through LHR. The tickets have to be for a ticketed trip, so two one ways is a waste to avoid the fee, when both legs of the RT are covered under the same bonus. I have 2 more banked and will earn another next year, and then will be out of points for a while.

Last edited:
Amex Blue Cash Preferred ($95 fee) for groceries gives me 6% back on up to $6k/yr so I net $265/yr in statement credit. Chase Sapphire Reserve ($450 fee less $300 travel credit) for travel and dining gives me 3 pts per dollar spent and an extra 1.5 pts if I redeem for travel thru their rewards portal. I accrue about 75k/yr and redeem for domestic flights and hotel stays with an approximate cash value of $1k. Citi Double Cash Rewards (no fee) gives me 2% cashback on everything. I just added the Prime Visa (no fee for Prime members) for 5% back at Amazon and Whole Foods. I haven't encountered any friction using my points.

We dislike statement credit, credit cards

We stick to Fidelity cash back (2%) and Costco for dining (3%).

We recently fell for an AMEX that gave 3% for groceries BUT the points can be used only as a statement credit....thereby making it less of a percent back than Fidelity....

We stick to Fidelity cash back (2%) and Costco for dining (3%).

We recently fell for an AMEX that gave 3% for groceries BUT the points can be used only as a statement credit....thereby making it less of a percent back than Fidelity....

Wait, why would it matter if the cash back is a statement credit? I always take my cash back as a statement credit. If I charge $1000 and get $20 cash back, then charge another $1000 next month but after the statement credit I only have to pay $980, I still get another $20 cash back, not $19.60, because I charged $1000, not $980.

Or am I overthinking it, and you just prefer to have cash in another account? But with a statement credit I'd be paying $20 less from my checking account, and so I have $20 more in there either way, right?

Last edited:
Wait, why would it matter if the cash back is a statement credit? I always take my cash back as a statement credit. If I charge $1000 and get $20 cash back, then charge another $1000 next month but after the statement credit I only have to pay $980, I still get another $20 cash back, not $19.60, because I charged $1000, not $980.

Or am I overthinking it, and you just prefer to have cash in another account? But with a statement credit I'd be paying $20 less from my checking account, and so I have $20 more in there either way, right?
----------------------------

To me, cash is king. Two things I can think of:

1. If I choose to NOT USE the statement credit card again, they get to keep my statement credits that remain.

2. If I use the statement credit card infrequently or every other month, say, my cash points will earn interest or I can put the cash toward another purchase with a different credit card.

Simple strategy: Use American Express Platinum card for ALL personal & business (we're retired, but still own the company), which adds about 210,000 points each year. If we're too busy to take a trip, I just use them on Amazon.

+1

The only card that I'm aware of that does ding you if you take a statement credit is the Citi Double Cash card. In your example above, they'd give 1% on the $1000 purchase and 1% back on the $980 statement balance, if paid in full. It isn't as good as a 2% card that doesn't split the cash back percentage that way.

Though if it's a card that's seldom used, a statement credit isn't the most ideal.

Thanks gwraighty and Chuckanut, I had no idea that some cards played games like that (although I'm not at all surprised). I use my cards for everything possible to maximize cash back, so it didn't even occur to me how infrequent card use would affect the statement credits.

Well, everything possible except for small purchases at local mom-and-pop shops, where I try to use cash to save them the fees. Not like I really NEED that 40 cents on my $20 takeout order! And while it's not a huge help to them either, I want to do whatever I can to encourage and support small businesses.

Last edited:
Just blew 789,000 points on four long haul flights for a coming family vacation. Pods with lay flat seats. Value was about $16k if I had chosen to pay cash. Over the last 20 years we’ve taken a lot of flights paid for with points.

Back
Top Bottom