Giving notice tomorrow. A little worried about my Type A personality

Please let us know how it goes when you gave your notice!
How do you feel now that it is official?
Met with my COO this morning and spoke with our CHRO this afternoon by phone as she is still on holiday. She and I are going to meet tomorrow so I can help them come up with a job description for the search.

Informed each of my managers individually, and the all said if the new person wasn't good they were leaving. One is already FI and was planning to retire in 2 years. After talking to her about my reasons for leaving and plans post retirement, she said she was going to have to spend some time thinking about whether she wanted to work 2 more years. I might have triggered a mass departure. LOL.

Told a few others that I work with in other departments and only one person said I was too young to retire. Most just congratulated me and thought it was awesome. Surprisingly few were surprised, and one even said she couldn't believe I stayed as long as I had.

All and all, it was a pretty good day, although I did find it difficult to stay motivated to work after giving notice. Might be a long slog. I told them I would work until March 31st at the latest. My kid has Spring Break, first week in April, and I am already planning our trip.

Super excited to get this show on the road.

Congratulations! Sounds like it went well. March 31st will be here soon [emoji898]

My DH gave 6 mos notice so they could hire for his position (principal engineer for Level 1 Trauma Ctr with Power Plant -cogen- responsibility. He's type A (extremely productive and conscientious). What happened? They dinked around and finally made a job offer 2 weeks before his retirement date. The guy ended up taking a diff offer. So my DH walked out 6/30.
For a few months he was hyper but now 6 mos later, he's very happy and relaxed. His former boss called and asked him to train new guy 2 days a week starting Feb 1. The job sat vacant for 6 full mos. My DH won't go back unless he gets same hourly wage as his former salary. We don't need the money and he's having so much fun with all the sports groups he joined! Life is completely different now!!!

OP, retirement can be anything you want it to be. Type A personalities may simply need to have more structured activities. And, it can take you a few months to identify things to fill your day. But, and this is the important part, you get to do exactly what you want to do, or not. Instead of going to endless meetings, you can meet and have coffee with friends. Instead of paperwork, you can volunteer. Once again, the big change is not that you wont have things to do, but that you will have different things to do. And they will be things you enjoy. All of this can take some time to identify and implement. Enjoy the discovery period. Oh, and congratulations. :dance:

My DH gave 6 mos notice so they could hire for his position (principal engineer for Level 1 Trauma Ctr with Power Plant -cogen- responsibility. He's type A (extremely productive and conscientious). What happened? They dinked around and finally made a job offer 2 weeks before his retirement date. The guy ended up taking a diff offer. So my DH walked out 6/30.
For a few months he was hyper but now 6 mos later, he's very happy and relaxed. His former boss called and asked him to train new guy 2 days a week starting Feb 1. The job sat vacant for 6 full mos. My DH won't go back unless he gets same hourly wage as his former salary. We don't need the money and he's having so much fun with all the sports groups he joined! Life is completely different now!!!

I would think your DH should get more than his old hourly wage. I would think he'd be a contractor so he'd be paying the employer portion of Payroll taxes as well. I'd start at 140% of his previous salary, computed to an hourly rate. After all his knowledge is very valuable and he is the only one who possesses it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I would suggest that you prepare yourself for a change to a new way of life, not just your old life minus a j*b. It took me several months to get through the transition; but I did. It was a lot of looking back on my entire life until then, and resolving things in my mind about paths taken, decisions made, both good and bad. Once that process was over, I was able to completely engage the new life that was next.

And it is wonderful! Best of luck to you.

-BB

It took me six months to really decompress. I was so happy to be 'out'.

Friends said that I looked very different. Relaxed and at ease.

Changed our lifestyle. Lost 50 lbs, gave up on all the processed and fast food in favor of fresh food, less red meat, more seafood. Travel has changed how and what we eat. We changed our lifestyle, unloaded the house and one car. Lots more exercise and four-five months of interesting travel each year.

I would say do it now with a hard stop date. Enjoy the rest of your life.

The real issue is not how many more years to work (depending on your financial situation of course) but really how many good, healthy years are remaining for you to do the things that your enjoy. I went at 59. I have had two colleagues who worked until 65. Both dropped dead within 12 months of their retirement. They both had unrealized plans for retirement.

The real issue is not how many more years to work (depending on your financial situation of course) but really how many good, healthy years are remaining for you to do the things that your enjoy. I went at 59. I have had two colleagues who worked until 65. Both dropped dead within 12 months of their retirement. They both had unrealized plans for retirement.

Yes - I have two colleagues, younger than me, one suffering with cancer and another 2 years into disability from a horrible car accident. You are not guaranteed your "golden years". That's one of the things I have said to folks asking why I am retiring at 50.

Congratulations. Pretty soon you won't know how you worked and your days will be filled...or not. Your choice.

I am giving my notice when I return from holiday tomorrow. I plan to work until they find my replacement, as I don't want to leave my team in a lurch. That probably means actual retirement in early March when I will be 50. Hubby plans to work another 18 months until his pension is fully vested.

The last couple of years at my job have been extremely stressful, and I am very excited to get out of the pressure cooker. That said, I've been working since I was 13 and I've been running my own department for almost 20 years. I'm pretty used to the grind, and I'm a little worried about how to channel my energy, especially since my husband won't retire for another year. Any advice from those in similar situations appreciated.

Thanks.

Congrats for moving at that decision at quite a young age. I too am somewhat worried about what to do next; however, I will be 59 when I walk away. I am sure you will find something to do while your Hubby is still at the grind...lol

Last edited:
Just do it. Good for you. If you feel good after resigning then it was the right thing for you to do. I was not ready when I was 50. I was at 58. A lucrative package came my way at 59 and I grabbed it. Never, ever regretted it or not returning to the workforce in some capacity.

I would not worry about your type A personality. I was, still am according to my spouse and my former colleagues.

Money is meaningless if you cannot enjoy it because of illness or death. Either you or your spouse. Both of those can arrive on your doorstep at any time. Bad stress is a killer, it ages you and can rob you of the ability to truly enjoy life.

So why spend your time working if you have the financial ability to get out and do exactly what you wish? Whatever that happens to be. For us, it has been a change of lifestyle, downsizing, and lots of travel.

And after a year or so of retirement you can always return to the workforce on a full or part time basis in a stress free job of some sort. Or volunteer.

Last edited:
Just rewrote my resignation letter giving them a hard date I am out the door whether they have a replacement or not.

I'm curious to know how it all went. :LOL: You don't have to share, of course. I can't wait till it's my turn.

I'm curious to know how it all went. :LOL: You don't have to share, of course. I can't wait till it's my turn.

So, I'm a week past giving notice and here are my takeaways.

1) There are definitely people who get their self worth from their careers and those folks are completely baffled. They ask "what will you do" not in a curious fashion, but in general befuddlement as they cannot imagine early retirement. I was an attorney myself, but transitioned to a role managing the firm's RE portfolio, design and construction and procurement department. When I quit being an attorney, you would have thought I was telling my fellow attorneys that I had a terminal illness. Some of them are very closely tied to their identity as "lawyer'.

2) A number of people have told me that my announcement has caused them to re-evaluate and see if they too could retire early. I work with a lot of pretty high income folks, and frankly all of them should have been able to pull off early retirement if they had put some thought into it.

3) A number of people told me they were proud of me. LOL. I feel a bit like I'm Norma Rae, but instead of standing on the table holding up a sign that says "Union", I'm holding up a sign that says "Retirement"!

4) As long as I'm bringing up Sally Field "They like me, they really like me". I guess it has also made me feel pretty good that folks seem genuinely sorry to see me go, and many have expressed doubt that I can be replaced. I have been in an untenable situation with my job, due to some reductions in workforce, so it will be interesting to see how they hire someone to do all the things I now have on my plate.

5) The advice you all gave on setting a firm date, was a good one. One of my colleagues reminded me that when she was asked to switch from one role to another, the firm took a year to fill her old position and she ended up covering both during that time (and not for 2 salaries either). Plus having a date certain to look forward to has been a great feeling.

6) People outside of my work already have ideas about how I can spend my time in retirement (community politics, volunteering), and I am drawing firm lines in the sand regarding not committing to anything in the first 6 months so I don't leave a job that was paying me for a job that isn't. :)

7) Giving 3 months notice gives me comfort to know I can get things organized in a way that will help the next person step into this role. I know lots of you will tell me this is about me, not the firm. I get that, but I also don't hate my job, or the firm. I want to leave them in a position where they can be successful without me.

I enjoy reading everyone's posts here, and look forward to being more active after March 31st. :LOL:

So, I'm a week past giving notice and here are my takeaways.

1) There are definitely people who get their self worth from their careers and those folks are completely baffled. They ask "what will you do" not in a curious fashion, but in general befuddlement as they cannot imagine early retirement. I was an attorney myself, but transitioned to a role managing the firm's RE portfolio, design and construction and procurement department. When I quit being an attorney, you would have thought I was telling my fellow attorneys that I had a terminal illness. Some of them are very closely tied to their identity as "lawyer'.

2) A number of people have told me that my announcement has caused them to re-evaluate and see if they too could retire early. I work with a lot of pretty high income folks, and frankly all of them should have been able to pull off early retirement if they had put some thought into it.

First of all congrats and good luck. Secondly, these first two points ring true. More so #1 than #2. When I try to talk to people about early retirement they look at me like I am speaking a different language. I believe most people don't even think much about retirement until they are in their late 50's and/or some family tragedy wakes them up.

When I first left I was convinced that I wanted to work again. Perhaps in a consulting engagement.

I had several colleagues in my industry call me to give me a 'heads up' about a position that I would be 'perfect' for. They seemed astonished when I thanked them and said not interested. Same with a consulting opportunity. I had had enough, finances were secure, and I just did not want to do it. This was a change that came about over the first six-nine months.

Everyone does something different in retirement. Either because of their financial situation or because of preferences, want, needs. We leave next week for two months of independent travel in SE Asia. We do two of these trips a year to various places. It is what floats our boat. We have a general idea of an itinerary but really only plan few days in advance. We only travel with carry on. Not for everyone, but for now this is part of fulfilling our retirement aspirations. I have no doubt that this might change in a few years, then change again.

Bottom line for us is doing what we want, when we want, while we have the health and the inclination to do it. We decided not to make many decisions in the first six months, other than downsizing our home. My perspective changed quite a bit during that six month period so I am glad that we held off a little.

Three days from retirement and I thought I would update the group on what a strange trip my 3 month notice period has been. Let me be clear, I like my job; I love the team I manage and most of the people I work with on a regular basis. We've had our FU money since 2014, so I certainly could have made the decision to retire a few years ago. My role has always been travel intensive, but after some staffing downsizing last year, I lost any semblance of balance. With my son graduating HS in 2020, I decided the time I could spend with him was more valuable than anything I was getting from work.

First, let me say thank you to all of you who told me to give them a date certain. You were right! I would still be working here in December if I had not. I gave them three months notice. I still thought there was a possibility that the role would not be filled in 3 months due to the specialization of the role, and level within management. That said, the first candidates were interviewed less than 2 weeks ago. They had identified them much earlier, but took over 2 weeks to set up interviews. Clearly, there is no sense of urgency.

I am in the middle of several large projects that no one else in the firm is involved with from the perspective of my role. As late as yesterday, I have been conducting meetings as if I'm not going anywhere. No one else has been asked to join these meetings. Even the outside teams I am working with are asking who they call next week. I have started giving everyone our CEO's v-card.

Two weeks ago, I was waiting for the train, talking to one of our marketing managers and she told me she was glad to hear I was staying on as a consultant. I told her I had no idea what she was talking about and she was shocked. She told me that several people had said I was staying on as if it was a done deal. I mentioned this conversation to one of my friends who later told me the Chief of HR mentioned I was staying on. LOL.

Yesterday, my boss (CEO) sent me an email about something and ended with - BTW, when is your last day.:facepalm: I told him it was Friday. Still, no one has come to ask what I have on my plate that needs transition. I have no idea what they think is going to happen on April 2nd. They will no doubt figure it out, as they have had to many times in the past, but I feel as if I gave them a fair chance to avoid having to reinvent the wheel and they decided to stick their heads in the sand. I could have given 2 weeks back in January and we would still be in the same place today.

I'll be sad for about 60 seconds, and then move on to enjoy my retirement. :dance:

That's an eye-opener! Maybe not not uncommon? A woman at my workplace who's been there for 27 years is also retiring tomorrow. She gave her notice 6 months ago, but HR approved the request to replace her just yesterday.

Congratulations on your big accomplishment!

With my son graduating HS in 2020, I decided the time I could spend with him was more valuable than anything I was getting from work.

Ok I absolutely love this. Up until now I had been thinking that I need to work until my daughter graduates high school because kids are expensive. I hadn’t really looked at it from the viewpoint of having more time to spend with her before she leaves home. Thank you for this very simple statement.

Ok I absolutely love this. Up until now I had been thinking that I need to work until my daughter graduates high school because kids are expensive. I hadn’t really looked at it from the viewpoint of having more time to spend with her before she leaves home. Thank you for this very simple statement.

I had a meeting shortly after I gave notice to kick off a new and really exciting project. I left the meeting really jazzed up about the conversation and questioned if I wanted to pull the trigger now. On the way to the train, I face timed my son to let him know I was on my way home. By the end of that call, I felt entirely at peace with my decision to leave. If I get really bored in a few years, I can always go back to work doing something. My parents have both passed and I still regret times I cut visits short for work reasons.

Years ago, a friend told me this: "You want to see how critical you are in your job? Stick your hand in a bucket of water, then pull it out and look for the hole."

That's pretty much what I have observed and pretty much my personal experience.

Seems typical nowadays...unfortunately!

First, let me say thank you to all of you who told me to give them a date certain. You were right!

When I gave notice of my retirement a couple of years ago, I told them about 2 months beforehand. My boss decided 2 weeks after me to give HER notice to also retire at the same time. Being in the same small specialized unit, it made it interesting to say the least. The HR manager tried to get me to extend the date I would retire by a few months but I had it all calc'd out on a spreadsheet and needed to retire before Dec 31st to get my first COLA by May of the year following my retirement. I told her there's no way I could extend my retirement date. She then begged me to fill out an application to work as a retired annuitant. I said I'll be happy to do that and would work 2 days a week maximum. Turns out I never heard from them again. That place was very dysfunctional because the HR mgr was an airhead and a fake. She also lied on the daily and no one respected her. So, good riddance! I would have gone back part time to help out my coworkers, however. But the place was toxic and the lead person didn't give a rat's behind about the work. It was all for show for her next promotion. It's such a relief to no be surrounded by that stuff. Retirement is so much fun!

My husband had a similar experience 8 months ago. He gave 6 full months notice and had a very responsible job (Principal Engineer at a Level 1 Trauma Center). They interviewed and offered the job to a well-qualified candidate about a month before my husband's final work day. Then the guy they picked got a better offer with higher pay somewhere else. Everything went kaput and they had to start the search process all over again. My husband was gone 6 full months before they got a new person in the job. Unbelievable! My husband was asked to come back for 1 day a week to give the new guy guidance but he's actually dreading it. He's been loving retirement and doesn't want to remember the headaches of his past job. Retirement is so GREAT! :cool:

I could have given 2 weeks back in January and we would still be in the same place today.

For emphasis, and for everyone who thinks "Oh I need to give them X-months for a good transition". Unless you are a small-firm-partner type, or C-suite, this plays out as yours did pretty much every time.

Congrats, leave extra early on your last day, and enjoy your trip!

2lhasas

Congratulations on making it to the finish line. Reading through your thread is very helpful for me. I'm giving notice next Monday, and will remain in role no more than six weeks longer.

Similar to you, the time with the kids is the driving reason for me to FIRE. I'm very interested to see what the reaction is with my company on next week.

Keep us posted as you transition into your new reality.

4aboard

Back
Top Bottom