Giving notice tomorrow. A little worried about my Type A personality

Years ago, a friend told me this: "You want to see how critical you are in your job? Stick your hand in a bucket of water, then pull it out and look for the hole."

That's pretty much what I have observed and pretty much my personal experience.

+1 and this is despite my boss and other practice leaders telling me that I added a lot of value (which I think was true) and they they would have a hard time getting along without me (which I thought was nice for them to say, but not true). I thanked them and told them that they had a lot of smart people in the firm and I was sure that they would have no problem getting along without me. We had both left the door open to consulting when I left, but they never called me and I never called them... so all is good.

I loved your post. I’m retiring 6.1.18- 2 mo before 50. I’ve mostly done what everyone else expected of me the past 50 years (I say MOSTLY because I was a rebellious teen), and the next 50 are ALL MINE! Best of luck to you! I gained some great pointers from this thread.

Congratulations to OP on this new and exciting time in your life! Enjoy the extra time with your DS.

Now, should we have a poll on how many calls you are going to get from the job next week? :cool:

Congratulations to OP on this new and exciting time in your life! Enjoy the extra time with your DS.

Now, should we have a poll on how many calls you are going to get from the job next week? :cool:

:LOL: Well, I don't have a home phone and my cell phone was company issued, so they'll have to find me! Even though they didn't ask, I think I left them in decent shape. I spent the last two weeks creating memos that summarized the state of projects, linked all the relevant documents, and v-Cards for outside parties involved in the transaction.

I managed to engineer my admin into a better position on the way out, and she knows my new cell number if she gets really desperate, but she insists she is not going to call me unless it's to catch up.

I worked all day yesterday, and then we had an event with our Krav Maga gym so I don't think it really sank in. Today around lunch time, it really hit me that I no longer have to think about work at all. I don't know how Monday will feel, but today was the most relaxing weekend day I can remember in some time. I honestly feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me. I don't think I realized how stressed I have been.

Sleep in tomorrow for me!:dance:

Enjoy it! DW left her too-stressful federal management job on Friday so, like you, Monday is her first day off and “the first day of the rest of her life,” as that old jingle went. She has no plan but to detox, garden for the summer and see what comes along. She’s 55 and really hasn’t had a substantial career break since her 20s so, like yourself, it’s new mental and temporal territory to explore.

my DW

Enjoy it! DW left her too-stressful federal management job on Friday so, like you, Monday is her first day off and “the first day of the rest of her life,” as that old jingle went. She has no plan but to detox, garden for the summer and see what comes along. She’s 55 and really hasn’t had a substantial career break since her 20s so, like yourself, it’s new mental and temporal territory to explore.

My DW is looking at one year or 18 months (so she says):LOL: I have to get used to looking busy. It's getting harder every day.

:LOL: Well, I don't have a home phone and my cell phone was company issued, so they'll have to find me! Even though they didn't ask, I think I left them in decent shape. I spent the last two weeks creating memos that summarized the state of projects, linked all the relevant documents, and v-Cards for outside parties involved in the transaction.

I managed to engineer my admin into a better position on the way out, and she knows my new cell number if she gets really desperate, but she insists she is not going to call me unless it's to catch up.

I worked all day yesterday, and then we had an event with our Krav Maga gym so I don't think it really sank in. Today around lunch time, it really hit me that I no longer have to think about work at all. I don't know how Monday will feel, but today was the most relaxing weekend day I can remember in some time. I honestly feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me. I don't think I realized how stressed I have been.

Well:confused: Curiosity is killing me. Any phone calls? Did you sleep in? Did you get a good night sleep? Inquiring minds want to know.

I too plan to garden, and based on advice in this group, have made a concerted effort to not commit to much in the first few months. I am taking a photography class at the local arts center, but beyond getting my son to school every day, that't the only scheduled activity on my calendar.

My husband said he really enjoyed the weekend with new "relaxed" me. I don't know what he's talking about; I'm sure I'm a ray of sunshine at all times! :angel: Hopefully, you will also reap the benefits of a less stressed DW!

Well:confused: Curiosity is killing me. Any phone calls? Did you sleep in? Did you get a good night sleep? Inquiring minds want to know.

No contact so far, although those who left before me have said 2 weeks is generally the grace period before the start to call. By then, I plan to have purged all knowledge of my job from my brain. LOL.

Alas, years of getting up at the crack of dawn seems to be a hard habit to break. I laughed with my husband this morning that some of it is me, not the job stress. I laid in bed this morning thinking as usual, but instead of work, I was planning making an appointment to service my car, picking up some sunblock before my son heads to the beach tomorrow......:ermm: I may never change that aspect of my personality, but I'd rather put together a Gantt chart for a personal project than a work project.

I'm a little worried about how to channel my energy, especially since my husband won't retire for another year. Any advice from those in similar situations appreciated.
Two book recommendations (both by the same author, and both available at any decent public library):

9780898159141.jpg

3668-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom