GM eliminating Apple CarPlay in future EV’s

OK, reading the article I notice that the focus is integrating all the cars systems, including driver assist and maybe someday self-driving, into one system. That actually makes some sense, much as I hate the idea.

The article didn't mention, but is that what Tesla and all the EV start-ups are doing? I don't own an EV but my understanding was that they already do a lot of what the article said GM is shooting for - stream live telemetry back to the manufacturer's cloud, and sell optional features as subscriptions.

It will be years before they have self driving. Sure they use much higher precision maps but people will still use phones for purposes other than navigation.

Not willing to put up with poor software for some future which may be years or decades out.

People will still use Google Maps, which provides information on public transportation as well as pedestrian directions when you’re out of the car or traveling to foreign countries.

Even if there are full level 4 or 5 cars on the road, tHere will be millions of non autonomous cars for decades and those people will prefer navigation from tHeIr phones.

Don’t matter, no Car Play I will just mount my iPhone and use it for navigation, entertainment and other purposes.

I'm happy driving an 10 year old analog car. I don't need any of this stuff. I can use my iphone to navigate if I have to.

CaptTom said:
As a non-Apple user this gives me a good reason to consider GM in the future.

Love Apple play. Don’t find GM vehicles attractive.

I'm going to go down the middle of these two statements. Love Android Auto. Don't find GM vehicles attractive.

Don't most new vehicles have an optional subscription service available right now? I know in my Ram pickups I could pay for additional UConnect services above and beyond what is part of the package. I never do it, though.

It's important to note that GM is partnering with Google to provide Google Maps and Google Voice Assistant functionality in their vehicles. This does not mean you need an Android phone to use the vehicle. In fact, a GM exec is quoted in the article, “We don’t want to design these features in a way that are dependent on a person having a cellphone.”

So it sounds like the built-in GM apps will be a variant of Google's stuff.

But there is an obsession with subscriptions in the C-suite offices. We need to revolt. It is really becoming a serious problem for the consumer.
I agree 1,000%! I remember all the subscription services of the 1970's that would lure you in and then be hard to get out of. Never again!

But, in the mean time I have a few ideas for lucrative subscription services. >:D Since kitchen appliances are going wifi these days, have all your major household appliances on an annual subscription. If you don't pay, they stop working. Many of my neighbors are installing electronic door locks. Have a subscription for those, so that if you don't pay, you are either locked in or out of your house. Pharmacies could all become subscription services so that you can't fill your prescriptions if you have not paid your membership.

I guess I don’t understand where we’re heading with cars. Are they going to be like cell phones where they become technologically obsolete before the underlying components actually go bad?
I suspect that a fair percentage of cars already on the road will end up being scrapped because of touchscreen failures.

I am in no hurry to buy a "new" car, and am not tempted to plunk down a substantial sum at a dealership to have to add a monthly subscription to that. (Cars need maintenance and insurance - and that's quite enough for me.)

I suspect that a fair percentage of cars already on the road will end up being scrapped because of touchscreen failures.

That’s the thing, the processors in cars can’t compete with processors in iPhones or high end Android phones.

So any kind of apps you use would be smoother on a recent phone.

Remember those old GPS devices like Garmin? So clunky and sluggish compared to Google Maps.

And don’t get me started on the scam that is built in GPS.

When I was taking delivery of my current car (‘16 Honda) the salesman was showing me the features and skipped over the GPS (which I didn’t want but was required in order to get the model and safety features I wanted). I asked why and his response was “It’s really sh***y SW and you’ll want to use your iPhone GPS with Google maps”. I thought he was just being lazy at the time but since then have come to agree.

The functionality of my phone will always be superior to the built in infotainment. I don’t care if GM uses an interface that favors Android as long as it accommodates my iPhone. If it limits functionality or adds difficultly it’s a deal breaker for me and think it’s likely to make GM cars less competitive.

I'm happy driving an 10 year old analog car. I don't need any of this stuff. I can use my iphone to navigate if I have to.

Maybe a 25 year old car could be considered analog. Nothing in the last 20 years has been un-computerized.

I love the new technology/gadgets in cars these days but I'm no longer loyal to any one brand. Until I was about 50, I was a GM car-guy, then (except for Corvettes) I switched to Toyota's for about 15 years. Then the last 7 or 8 years I've been exclusively a FCA/Stellantis buyer. If I find something that I like better next year, I'll buy it. As long as it has an ICE in it. :)

Carmakers and everyone else will offer subscriptions to anyone who will buy them. We can deride the idea all we want, but if enough people subscribe to make it worth their while, subscriptions will take off. And if enough people buy subscriptions, services and features will be taken away from those who don't. They may reach critical mass on businesses subscribing as employee productivity or simple perks, people love those kinds of 'freebies.'

I don't like subscriptions, but we subscribe for internet, streaming TV, and Microsoft Office - none of which I like or would have predicted 10-20 years ago. No one paid monthly for TV many years ago, now most of us do...

^^^^^

Except for car insurance, the only subscription service I've ever paid for with any of my car(s) is Sirius XM and I'm seriously considering dropping it. I really hate dealing with those guys.

Last edited:
^^^^^

Except for car insurance, the only subscription service I've ever paid for with any of my car(s) is Sirius XM and I'm seriously considering dropping it. I really hate dealing with those guys.
+1

They are truly a pain to deal with. I've passed up several free 3 month trial subscriptions simply because I wasn't willing to go through the hassle of canceling them after 90 days.

When I renewed my SiriusXM last August the whole process was automated, and it offered to renew at the same discounted price I previously had to bicker over.

When I renewed my SiriusXM last August the whole process was automated, and it offered to renew at the same discounted price I previously had to bicker over.
I recently renewed mine and used the automated system too but the renewal rate was higher so I talked to real agent. ~15 mins later I got the same old rate. Felt like I was dealing with a "fly by night" used car dealer. Just not a good experience.

I find FOX business news useful while driving but I have plenty of other free sources for music, so I'm asking myself if it's really worth keeping.

Last edited:
That's encouraging. Maybe they have learned something from the streaming services?
I saw that twice during the peak time period of COVID. They may have been short-staffed and/or figured people weren't driving that much. In 2020 and 2021 (August), we were sent down the automated path while on hold. We probably were getting it as cheap as they offer it for a year, which works for us since our yearly mileage has been around 4,500-5,000 miles a year.

I believe last year (2022) I needed to talk to someone. I made it plainly clear we used the service sparingly, and that we were ready to cancel. If our 2015 Buick Enclave could handle USB or Bluetooth audio without a massive audio difference compared to the radio stations (AM/FM/XM), we would have dropped Sirius XM a few years ago. The radio stations are quite a bit louder at the same volume level on the vehicle's audio system. A *lot* louder, as in ear- and speaker-damaging levels.

It's the only reason why I am willing to deal with the Sirius XM salespeople. I've canceled once in the past, and sure enough, within a week we were offered the same 12-mo/$60 plan (plus royalty fees) we wanted in the first place.

If you're in the market for a new car make sure all the functionality of the touchscreen can also be duplicated by buttons on the steering wheel. That way when the touchscreen eventually goes you can still drive your car around.

The radio stations are quite a bit louder at the same volume level on the vehicle's audio system. A *lot* louder, as in ear- and speaker-damaging levels.

It's the only reason why I am willing to deal with the Sirius XM salespeople. I've canceled once in the past, and sure enough, within a week we were offered the same 12-mo/$60 plan (plus royalty fees) we wanted in the first place.

Um. You could turn down the volume. After all, if you cancel SXM, you could just leave it lower.

Never had a desire for satellite radio. Most drives are short, and I enjoy the quiet time. On a long drive, I will plug in (free) Pandora. But that is just me.

There's usually a deep setting to equalize volume among services.

I guess you can just get a phone holder and circumvent your cars system all together. You can still play your music via Bluetooth, and get navigation directly from the phone. Sorta like a one time fee antenna for your TV.
Well, I mean that's what most of us are doing with cars in the 10 to 15 year old range. It works for me, but the phone holder is a bit of a pain in the a...

Um. You could turn down the volume. After all, if you cancel SXM, you could just leave it lower.
Doesn't help with AM and FM stations, which are around the same volume levels as SXM. One of the "features" of the audio system in our vehicle is if it doesn't remember the last played digital music input (Bluetooth or USB), which is most of the time, it instantly changes to the last selected radio station.

Sure, you can *try* to remember to turn down the radio a lot every time we leave the vehicle, but all it takes is one time to forget to get the loud blasting. We've already replaced one vehicle audio speaker because of this "quirk".

There's usually a deep setting to equalize volume among services.
Not in GM's Infotainment systems of that era. Our model year is the 2015, and GM didn't fix this or even allow Apple Car Play or Android Auto until 2018 with the Enclave. Pick up an aftermarket model by Kenwood or Pioneer, and the feature you speak of is available. But then there are trade-offs, some from a safety standpoint, with the interface with the vehicle's rear camera and sensor detection systems.

If our Enclave had this, it would solve my biggest complaint with their audio system (there are other issues, but none as maddening as the volume issue).

I am almost willing to try a solution that would allow me to use either my USB thumb drives or Bluetooth with a smartphone, and transmit that through an FM station. Besides sounding kludgy, there are audio limitations to that option. That said, SXM's audio quality leaves something to be desired at times. Highly compressed music.

Last edited:
I've found Google nav better than Apple nav. Wife has Apple, I have Android.

^^^^^
I've used Rand McNally's paper backs before there was an Internet, GPS, Android, Apple, etc. :) Updates are cheap and easy too.

Actually I like my car(s) NAV systems but they do make mistakes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom